PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Lord shield bearers

Gwelandor
10-05-2007, 22:11
hi,
Do you rate a dwarf lord on shield bearers? have you one and how did you get on? i like the idea of it and the fluff but im not fully convinced yet. The main rerason im asking is ive got the alrik model from a while back. I orginally bought it to use as a lord on foot. now ive got the option for shield bearers since new book i was considering mounting him. Im sure ive got the bearers and shiled kicking about somewhere :wtf:

MadJackMcJack
10-05-2007, 22:31
Hell yea! Two extra longbeard-level attacks, +2 armour save (with gromril, 2+ save before you start adding shields and runes), immunity to killing blow (anything unit strength 3 or above is immune) and still not counted as a large target for a measly 25 points? Sign me up!

Vattendroppe
11-05-2007, 05:29
It's worth it any time. The only reason I wouldn't take it on my lord is in the case of taking an oathstone instead, but that rarely happens. No point in not doing it if you got a spar 25+ pts.

Angerforge
11-05-2007, 10:43
biggest downside to it is the Dwarf lord on it imo. He just costs tomuch for something easily ignored. but if you take one yes. Shieldbearers everytime

static grass
11-05-2007, 10:54
Ï also have me lord carried by shield bearers. The extra attacks are very handy especially if you put him in a warrior regiment. I play aggressive dwarfs and I have no trouble getting the big man into combat. I think I might prefer oathstones though, they are very useful.

jisu
11-05-2007, 11:26
Hello.

Well ... if you take a Dwarf Lord, you have to choose between oathstone and shield.
I like both, but I have my lord in a Hammerers unit so i dont need the oathstone. So ... if you donīt have it in stone, go always for the shield.

I have 2 variants.

CHEAP LORD. 181
Dwarf Lord, carried in shield, gromril armour, rune of stone, Great Weapon.
Here you have 1+ Saving Throw and 4, S6 Ataccks.

EXPENSIVE LORD. 276
Dwarf Lord, carried in shield, gromril armour, rune of stone, rune of resistance, Great Weapon, Master Rune of Kragg the grim, 2 x Rune of fury
Here you hava a monster with 1+ Saving Throw (rerrollable), and 6, S6 ATs !!

I cannot imagine lots of other characters in other armies with a cost less than 300 points, that could stand our little monster.

Bye.

gukal
11-05-2007, 12:34
I don't want to derail this topic, but there is one factor that must be considered if this is a list for use outside a friendly small group.

There is an open debate (and several threads on this forum ... so please don't let this become a tangent to this thread) as to whether the Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers is mounted or not. If mounted, he gets +1 strength for a great weapon instead of +2.

Personally, I don't care which way this debate comes out. What I really dislike is wasting 5-10 minutes in the middle of a game discussing an ambiguous rules point.

Therefore, when I mount a Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers, I avoid the great weapon/Kragg the Grim options.

- Gukal

Gwelandor
11-05-2007, 21:21
thanks for the replys ppl. time to put alrik in his rightfull place then!

gortexgunnerson
12-05-2007, 02:12
Yes the sheildbearer are so worth it and the model looks very funky too (well not a fan of alrik as his hat is just too big lol but any other dwarf lord). +2 save effectively 10 points in runes of stone, immune to killer blow probably another 10 or so and +2 attacks which can't be killed! Also give him a big range of models to attacks so good chance is in contact with whatever character you want to attack!

Is a brillent upgrade, IMO much better then an Oath stone as you can have lord on bearers and BsB in the same unit giving you a power house.

Also Dwarf lords are brillent, make them unit slayers and hard to kill and you will carry every combat on combat res! If your getting them avoided your playing dwarfs wrong! I have taken my dwarfs to 2 GT qualifiers and got to the final in both without losing a game in either (3 wins 3 draws in boths). Hammer the wings with guns and kill the centre with your uber killy unit. Has been my tactic with dwrafs for more years then I can remember and has taken me to a decent amount of tournment success!

sun tzu
13-05-2007, 08:36
Yes it's worth it but get the mounted question sorted before the game starts as i have seen too many games ruined by that little problem.

Angerforge
13-05-2007, 09:01
no where does it state that the lord is mounted. he only has a US of 3.

Vattendroppe
13-05-2007, 09:14
no where does it state that the lord is mounted. he only has a US of 3.

Do not start that discussion here, please. Search and discuss it in the thread that's speifically for him being mounted or not.

sun tzu
13-05-2007, 09:21
I don't want to derail this topic, but there is one factor that must be considered if this is a list for use outside a friendly small group.

There is an open debate (and several threads on this forum ... so please don't let this become a tangent to this thread) as to whether the Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers is mounted or not. If mounted, he gets +1 strength for a great weapon instead of +2.

Personally, I don't care which way this debate comes out. What I really dislike is wasting 5-10 minutes in the middle of a game discussing an ambiguous rules point.

Therefore, when I mount a Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers, I avoid the great weapon/Kragg the Grim options.

- Gukal

Do not start that discussion here, please. Search and discuss it in the thread that's speifically for him being mounted or not.

The thread is "Dwarf Lord shield bearers" so discussing the mounted question fits in here

Vattendroppe
13-05-2007, 09:23
The thread is "Dwarf Lord shield bearers" so discussing the mounted question fits in here

Whether he's mounted or not have little to do with tactics, that's a rule discussion. It doesn't fit here, and anyways there's no point in starting a new thread on this subject when there's already an old one with tons of good points.

sun tzu
13-05-2007, 09:27
Whether he's mounted or not have little to do with tactics, that's a rule discussion. It doesn't fit here, and anyways there's no point in starting a new thread on this subject when there's already an old one with tons of good points.

If he was mounted it would change weather the tactic's listed here would work.

Can't you target a mounted model in a foot troop unit? ? ? ?

Vattendroppe
13-05-2007, 09:29
If he was mounted it would change weather the tactic's listed here would work.

Can't you target a mounted model in a foot troop unit? ? ? ?

Ofcourse it would, but it's still a matter of rules rather than of tactics. First things first.

No you cannot, you're still into 6th ed..

sun tzu
13-05-2007, 10:40
Ofcourse it would, but it's still a matter of rules rather than of tactics. First things first.

No you cannot, you're still into 6th ed..

You are right, they seem to missed that rule out :confused:
:wtf: were they thinking

Dead Man Walking
13-05-2007, 12:47
I conscider the shieldbearers to be standard equipment. For 25 points you can't go wrong. Dont forget that its 25 points minus what ever the cost of the extra guy who would of been standing in that ranks spot, so its +13 points if it is replacing a Hammerer. Put it in the corner of the unit so that if the unit gets flanked the whole model gets its attacks, this usually negates the advantage of being on the flank.