PDA

View Full Version : killing blow in a challenge

Nell2ThaIzzay
11-05-2007, 00:10
how does killing blow get scored for combat res in a challenge?

example: wight lord deals 2 killing blows to a champion in a challenge.

I have heard that killing blow counts towards the entire amount of wounds for cr purposes.

i.e. a pegasus knight has 2 wounds. that means killing blow is 2 wounds per killing blow, 2 kb's = 4 wounds.

is this correct?

lparigi34
11-05-2007, 04:11
Nop.

One of the KB you rolled take care of the remaining two wounds, the other one is counted only as a single extra wound. So the total wounds counted as the result for the challenge would be 3.

khorne666
11-05-2007, 05:38
Killing blow represents taking their head off or some other instantly fatal injury, you can only cut their head off once...

Unless of course it is a VERY fast regenerating troll.

bluesky322
11-05-2007, 06:57
wouldnt it only count as two not 3 or 4

Wadders
11-05-2007, 07:08
It is a SINGLE wound, enough to slay the opponent outright. So it is one, you do not roll it up to the amount of wounds they have.

If you score two, then it is two CR.

If you scored 2 hits, 1 killing blow and one normal - the player should roll to save the other wound solely for CR

lparigi34
11-05-2007, 12:29
Sorrt, I missed the point that the guy is a single wound champion, my previous post answer was for a two remaining wounds character.

So the right answer is 2

In general, everytime you roll dice to kill someting multiwound and you have Killing Blow: it does not matter how many KBs you roll, a single one of them takes care of all the remaining wounds, the rest of the wounding hits rolled, KB or not, inflicts an extra wound each (that are accounted only to +5 and in the case you were in a challenge, else they are discardad)

Gimp
11-05-2007, 12:48
Let me remind you that Kilingblow only works against man sized models ie Humans, Elves, Suarus, Skaven, Skinks, Vampires. However it also works against man sized models that are mounted ie Empire Captian on a Warhourse, High Prince on a dragon (this excludes the Dragon and only if the attacks were aimed at the Prince).

So this excludes Orges and Trolls and stuff like that.

So I also guess it exculudes Peguses Knights as well as attacks are aimed at both the flying horse and knight at the same time.

Alathir
11-05-2007, 12:59
The new wording is that it only works on models less than US 3... all that man sized model nonsense is out the window.

Griefbringer
11-05-2007, 13:26
The new wording is that it only works on models less than US 3... all that man sized model nonsense is out the window.

Yep, now we only get to debate on whether war machines are affected (due to the funky way their US is expressed).

Arnizipal
11-05-2007, 19:24
It is a SINGLE wound, enough to slay the opponent outright. So it is one, you do not roll it up to the amount of wounds they have.

If you score two, then it is two CR.

If you scored 2 hits, 1 killing blow and one normal - the player should roll to save the other wound solely for CR
Actually, the text on Killing Blow in the rulebook says nothing about inflicting a single wound. It says that when rolling a six when wounding, you slay the opponent outright.
Therefor you can in fact claim the opponent's remaining wound score as combat result.

So in this case combat result would be 2 (Killing Blow) + 1 (killing blow but target is dead already).

Wadders
12-05-2007, 08:45
Actually, the text on Killing Blow in the rulebook says nothing about inflicting a single wound. It says that when rolling a six when wounding, you slay the opponent outright.
Therefor you can in fact claim the opponent's remaining wound score as combat result.

So in this case combat result would be 2 (Killing Blow) + 1 (killing blow but target is dead already).

No, you do not roll it up for combat res, it says in the BRB - and i quote from the book

He automatically slays his opponent with this wound and no armour saves or regeneration saves are allowed against this wound, though ward saves are allowed as normal.

Where does it say it rolls up for CR? it is a single wound....period

Wadders
12-05-2007, 08:47

Mine says US 2 or lower and not against the mount/chariot.

enyoss
12-05-2007, 13:02
Mine says US 2 or lower

That would be less than 3 then ;)

Cheers,

enyoss

Arnizipal
12-05-2007, 15:33
No, you do not roll it up for combat res, it says in the BRB - and i quote from the book

He automatically slays his opponent with this wound and no armour saves or regeneration saves are allowed against this wound, though ward saves are allowed as normal.

Where does it say it rolls up for CR? it is a single wound....period
It's a single wound that takes away all remaining wounds, so in our gaming we've always treated it linke a multi wound attack. A cannon ball hit for example works the same way.

Wadders
12-05-2007, 18:12
It's a single wound that takes away all remaining wounds, so in our gaming we've always treated it linke a multi wound attack. A cannon ball hit for example works the same way.

No you are wording it how you want to see it. This wound as in the singular. It does not take them all away. If someone uses the pit of shades on a dragon, is that six wounds? No it is a single hit kill.

Ninsaneja
12-05-2007, 19:30
@wadders: With pit of shades, it doesn't matter, and you still panic because of a "US 5 or more" unit being destroyed in a single phase, whether or not 5 wounds were caused.

Also, your "quote" from earlier is wrong. Lemme correct you with the actual wording:

"He automatically slays his opponent. No armor saves or regeneration saves are allowed against this wound, though ward saves may be taken as normal."

No mention of one wound being the thing to kill him, - only that you can't save "this wound" with regular saves. IMHO it doesn't really imply that it only counts as a single wound - the guy is dead, not just one wound down. It refers to it as a wound under saves because it happen on the "to-wound" roll. In any case, my group has always played and probably will always play with the first KB counting for the full wounds and any other hits as 1 wound.