PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! - Do I have a claim?

boogle
06-08-2005, 21:02
hi there, i was packing up a lot of my stuff in preparation for my sister moving in with us and whilst doing this i noticed that a couple of boxes of stuff weren't there, i questioned my wife and she said that she had thrown out some full boxes on Monday night, when i check some of the other boxes, i found only sprues and stuff that was meant to be thrown out. I have made a list of stuff that i have lost and it comes to nearly 3000 (nearly 1/3 of it on a Tank Company alone), as i have been colecting my stuff for 13 years, i don't have any receipts of stuff, therefore i don't have any real proof that i owned the stuff, naturally i'm gutted and the wife is mortified (she was nearly crucified), but do i have a chance at making a claim on the house contents insurance for accidental loss (she did throw out the wrong boxes after all)?

thanks for any help given

GAWD
06-08-2005, 21:09
Boy, this is gonna be almost impossible to claim. You better pray your claims adjuster is a REALLY nice guy.

t-tauri
06-08-2005, 21:14
The thing with any gaming related collectable stuff or even things like stamps or coins is unless it's specifically mentioned on your contents insurance and the additional policy paid then you're only covered up to a certain figure stated in your policy. It might be 500 or 1000. Or less. :(

Read the policy. Never let your wife touch games related material again.

boogle
06-08-2005, 21:15
is a claims adjuster a UK or a US thing?, i've looked at my policy and the contents are insured up to 50,000, plus i've never had to make a claim before (i was hoping i would never have to ever, but if theres a chance on getting something out of this debacle, then i'll try)

t-tauri - TBH i would even settle for 1000

t-tauri
06-08-2005, 21:24
There'll be something like a limit on how much you can claim for individual items, like CD collections and things which aren't specifically listed on the policy with a valuation and extra premiums paid. IIRC ours is about 1000 which is clearly inadequate for my games and minis but the extra premiums are quite stiff.

Claims adjusters/loss adjusters only really come in for storm and fire damage. If your shop sank or whatever then they'd come in and value the soggy stock which remained and authorise a payout. I'd be surprised if you saw a loss adjuster as there's no physical evidence. The best thing to do is get on the phone to the insurance company and tell them the situation, and see if they can pay out.

boogle
06-08-2005, 21:27
tried the phonecall thing, but as i set up the policy in the bank itself, i have to go to the bank personally and speak to them

McBain
07-08-2005, 06:27
You need to watch for the small print because certain items on yourpolicy are only cvered for a small amount unless you name them seperatly.

For example mountain bikes most policy cover them for 250ish i have to name mine cos its 1900. the same goes for tv's, hi fi's pc's and many other high price items. you would be supprised the people who dont realise this.

EVIL INC
07-08-2005, 12:34
Whatever you do, dont tell them its part of a collection. The claims adjusters look/listen for words like "collection". This is because those arent usually covered by insurance unless you specifically get a policy just for them. We had this problem when our house burned down years ago. The adjusters wouldnt cover our "collections" because they werent covered in the reguler home insurance even though they were kept in our home. :mad:

tzeentchgiant
07-08-2005, 13:47
Do you have any photo's of the armies you lost, at a tournament or something, a list of the things that aren't there anymore, just so that there is evidence of the amount of things lost.

That might help your claim.

Bad luck, hope it all works out for you.

TG

Wiseman
07-08-2005, 15:31
unlucky, id crucify your wife on a cross made of the remaining sprues, seems like an almost adequate punishment

boogle
07-08-2005, 16:38
i have a definative list of everything that i have lost, it now totals more than 2000, on my policy there is a section that says valuables, and that is covered for up to 10,000 with a single item of up to 2000 paid out.

If i'm not to mention what i've lost a collection, what am i to say?

tzeentchgiant
07-08-2005, 16:47
You lost a large group of matching individual models :p

But I don't see where the problem should be *is niave*

Do you have any pictures, just incase they want solid evidence?

TG

boogle
07-08-2005, 16:52
nope, thats the thing, i've been collecting this stuff for 15 years and some of the stuff wasn't painted, therefore there wasn't much point in photographing it, (although my friend has a photo of a tank battle we played a couple of years ago), the only other way of checking stuff is for the Insurance company to ring GW and FW and check my accounts and speak to my indy retailler about the Bret and Chaos Army deals he sold me

tzeentchgiant
07-08-2005, 16:55
Best of luck, keep us updated as everything developes.

I hope you get a lot back.

TG

boogle
07-08-2005, 16:58
if i just get enough back to cover the FW stuff i would be reasonaly happy, but i would like to get back the full amount for the stuff i lost (especially 2 of my Baneblades)

Thud
07-08-2005, 18:02
You must love your wife very much.

Saying that I am assuming she is not currently laying chopped up in the freezer...

Your story hurts my heart, though. It hurts my heart.

boogle
07-08-2005, 18:24
well the fact i don't have an axe at hand has helped!!!, seriously, though, i'll keep you all informed on how things are going

Alco Engineer
08-08-2005, 02:27
Sounds like my signature has just been proved by more than mathmatics.

Sorry to hear about the loss.......
Losing an armoured company....that's a shame
2 Baneblades....that's a crying shame

Mikhaila
08-08-2005, 02:30
A couple of things to do. Call the disposal agency, and try to get them back. Make notes on when you call, and who you talk to. Make notes on when they went out for the trash, and when you noticed the mistake. It's not going to get your stuff back, not much chance of that, but it does create a bit of paper, something to add to a report, and might make a difference. You probably have a deductible on the policy, if your loss is under that amount, you will get nothing, if your loss is over, you would recieve the difference. See if your policy mentions something like "replacement cost". If so, use the current value of the model, not what you paid. For example, if you paid 10.00 for a bike, but it goes for 15.00 now, you would need to be reimbursed for 15.00 to get the bike back.

For anyone else out there that is suddenly worried about your collection, one very good way to document your stuff, is to lay the entire army out on the table. Sit behind the table , and have someone videotape you as you show each piece, describe it, and mention its value. Show a current newspaper in the video. It's something that i've had an insurance adjuster advise me to do for a large comic collection. Then make two copies of the tape, and put one someplace other than your home, so if you have a fire, you don't lose the collection, and the documentation at the same time.

Good luck.

Persephone
08-08-2005, 16:30
Your wife just decided to throw out some boxes? Like without even looking in them? Or seeing that there was something in them? I assume it wasn't just empty cardboard boxes which were each to lift and toss and didn't rattle because something was in them? Are you sure it was an "accident?"

boogle
08-08-2005, 20:33
if you read my 1st post, i have boxes with stuff in that was meant to be thrown out, she threw out the wrong boxes, i would have bee hard to tell as there was sprues and newspaper in nearly all of the boxes (i wrapped up a lot of the models for protection and some stuff was still on the sprues - most of the fantasy stuff), so she didn't look in them, looking back it is an easy mistake to make as i have/had a lot of stuff,(15 years of collecting) she is gutted by the way, but obviously not nearly as gutted as i am

boogle
10-08-2005, 19:24
sorry to double post, i have done the maths and since 1999 i have spent 5053.45 from GW/FW/BL alone, thats just money from my bank account alone, that is not counting the amount of stuff spent on my credit card (can't get back statements online), or the money i've spent at my local Indy store (about another 1000), and on Ebay purchases (about another 1000), plus what the wife has spent on me (3 Baneblades, 2 Valkyries, 1 Vulture and my Cityfight stuff) i have about 1/5 of the stuff left now (fortunately 1 Baneblade and the cityfight stuff survived), i'm going to see the guy/lady at the bank I have the insurance with tomoroow and see what evident they are going to want (i will be able to supply pictures of my tanks and some of my models, i have the bottom part of the chassis of one of the Baneblades, the Certificate of ownership of the other Baneblade, the underslung bits of the Vulture and all of my Cityfight stuff, as well as my Cadian Mechanised Company (minus all of its Chimeras) and My Elysians, a few Space Marines and Some Dark Elves

tzeentchgiant
10-08-2005, 19:37
Best of luck, keep us posted as news comes to you.

I hope you are successful.

TG

boogle
14-08-2005, 08:58
well the insurance won't pay out as i didn't have the right type of insurance (only had the basic type, not the extended cover), so i'll now be posting in the wanted ads to see if i can get the novels that i'm missing, and i'll also see if my friend can salvage whats left of my Baneblade by casting up the bits that are missing

TitusAndronicus
14-08-2005, 09:31
er...boogle, what continent are you on? I can send you a few things taht I'm not using any more. ;)

boogle
14-08-2005, 12:35
I'm based in the UK