PDA

View Full Version : Strigoi 2000pt Army

TheTrueSloth
11-05-2007, 11:26
Hey guys

Now is it me or do people not like the Strigoi bloodline so much? Personally I love the really bestial idea to the vampires and the whole theme generally. I also love ghouls, I think they're immense.

Anyway, here's a 2000pt list I knocked up (strigoi Style), can people see what they think of it?

Lords:

Vampire Count - 335pts
Lvl 2, Bat Form, Infinite Hatred, Iron Sinews

Heroes:

Vampire Thrall - 125pts
Bat Form

Necromancer - 150pts
Lvl 2, Power Familiar

Necromancer - 125pts
Lvl 2, Book of Arkhan

Core:

10 Ghouls - 80pts

10 Ghouls - 80pts

10 Ghouls - 80pts

10 Ghouls - 80pts

10 Ghouls - 80pts

10 Ghouls - 80pts

10 Ghouls - 80pts

Special:

4 Fell Bats - 80pts

4 Fell Bats - 80pts

10 Black Knights - 282pts
Standard, Hell Knight, Barding

1988pts

Power Dice - 9 + 1 bound item
Dispel Dice - 6

The idea would be to make a very fast moving list. The Count won't fly off too much, but as a flying character with 5 S6 re-roll attacks should be able to lend a serious boost where needs be. And the sheer level of power dice isn't easy to go up against either. The Thrall and the Bats are eveny wizard/war machine hunters primarily. The Ghouls, I love 'em, they're great. T4 with poison is superb, keep them within 12" of the general at least for the first few turns. Also superb at taking fire from the enemy crossbows and the like (dwarves hitting on 6's to begin with) if needs be. The wizzies are a bit vulnerable, but they're there to blast the enemy with magic, or to propel the army forward even faster. And with a flying count, thrall and 2 units of fell bats, I should deter most fast cavalry and flyers away. or I could lash out and hopefully hand of Dust anything that looks big and hard like a Dragon ;). The Black Knights are one of the few "undead" units in the army, but they can move pretty fast, and hit pretty hard to boot.

Wouldn't be the easiest army in the world to play with, but I reckon it could be fun.

What does everyone else think?

Toodles

rexim
14-05-2007, 19:46
i would drop 11 Ghouls for 10 zombies and a scroll.
the zombies so that you have some where to put your necros against cannons.

spikedog
15-05-2007, 12:52
Not sure if you know this but the way you describe your tactics it would seem not.

Ghouls are not undead an therefor can always march, no matter how far from the general and also this means the Arkhan book does not work on them as it only effects "undead" units.

Flying characters can not join units, even flying ones. and as you have no bunkers your characters are going to get nuked by anything with shooting or medium-strong magic.

Other than the above rules points the army seems like it would be fun to play as and against although I think it would get a bit samey after a while.

gortexgunnerson
15-05-2007, 15:07
Well Ghould cannot be joined by characters so is even more a problem then the flying. Virtually any army should be albe to shoot/magic your general/wizards till your army is dead. Admitly without many undead units isnt asa serious as normal but means that the army isnt going to get too far without the attacking punch of your characters.

Strigoi should be played as leaders of blocks if infantry to maximise their unit killing potential by supporting it with ranks and numbers

Rabban
16-05-2007, 00:21
Flying characters can not join units, even flying ones. and as you have no bunkers your characters are going to get nuked by anything with shooting or medium-strong magic.

Flying characther CAN join units, but no character can join a flying unit.

I would try to get a ranked unit or two in to protect the necromancers, even if it's just zombies. You can also leave your vampires in here to protect them until they're ready to charge out.

To free points for the zombies or skellies I'd probably make the knights smaller, I find six is a good size (musicians are worth having too, they've won many a combat for me).

Also, I'd try to make the bat units at least US 5 to destroy fleeing enemy units, just land them behind the enemy, spread out in a nice big line. :)

andy demoe
16-05-2007, 00:28
Hey guys

Now is it me or do people not like the Strigoi bloodline so much? Personally I love the really bestial idea to the vampires and the whole theme generally. I also love ghouls, I think they're immense.

Anyway, here's a 2000pt list I knocked up (strigoi Style), can people see what they think of it?

Lords:

Vampire Count - 335pts
Lvl 2, Bat Form, Infinite Hatred, Iron Sinews

Heroes:

Vampire Thrall - 125pts
Bat Form

Necromancer - 150pts
Lvl 2, Power Familiar

Necromancer - 125pts
Lvl 2, Book of Arkhan

Core:

10 Ghouls - 80pts

10 Ghouls - 80pts

10 Ghouls - 80pts

10 Ghouls - 80pts

10 Ghouls - 80pts

10 Ghouls - 80pts

10 Ghouls - 80pts

Special:

4 Fell Bats - 80pts

4 Fell Bats - 80pts

1988pts

Power Dice - 9 + 1 bound item
Dispel Dice - 6

The idea would be to make a very fast moving list. The Count won't fly off too much, but as a flying character with 5 S6 re-roll attacks should be able to lend a serious boost where needs be. And the sheer level of power dice isn't easy to go up against either. The Thrall and the Bats are eveny wizard/war machine hunters primarily. The Ghouls, I love 'em, they're great. T4 with poison is superb, keep them within 12" of the general at least for the first few turns. Also superb at taking fire from the enemy crossbows and the like (dwarves hitting on 6's to begin with) if needs be. The wizzies are a bit vulnerable, but they're there to blast the enemy with magic, or to propel the army forward even faster. And with a flying count, thrall and 2 units of fell bats, I should deter most fast cavalry and flyers away. or I could lash out and hopefully hand of Dust anything that looks big and hard like a Dragon ;). The Black Knights are one of the few "undead" units in the army, but they can move pretty fast, and hit pretty hard to boot.

Wouldn't be the easiest army in the world to play with, but I reckon it could be fun.

What does everyone else think?

Toodles

Why dont you just go for the flying circus?;)

TheTrueSloth
16-05-2007, 09:08
A flying circus? I like the idea, but how feasable is it?

Ok, so drop say 1 unit of say dire wolves and grab myself a block of zombies that I can just hopefully keep casting Invocation on? And probably drop something else somewhere to boost the zombie number.

though TBH I think I'd really consider 3 flying thralls and the flying count, just so hilarious!

Anyway, couple of things:

Only reason I would want to keep the count within 12" of as many ghouls as I could would be for the leadership boost so they can actually get close without panicking and running off.

Fair point about the Book of Arkhan, mis-read it. Though it would be great for the black knights, dire wolves and fell bats though.

Toodles

Rabban
16-05-2007, 09:38
A flying circus? I like the idea, but how feasable is it?

Ok, so drop say 1 unit of say dire wolves and grab myself a block of zombies that I can just hopefully keep casting Invocation on? And probably drop something else somewhere to boost the zombie number.

though TBH I think I'd really consider 3 flying thralls and the flying count, just so hilarious!

Anyway, couple of things:

Only reason I would want to keep the count within 12" of as many ghouls as I could would be for the leadership boost so they can actually get close without panicking and running off.

Fair point about the Book of Arkhan, mis-read it. Though it would be great for the black knights, dire wolves and fell bats though.

Toodles

A flying circus will be a real hit and miss affair. I think the idea works better in smaller games or against inexperienced players. You will be unable to negate ranks, so even if you throw all your characters into combat against one ranked unit you would need to overcome the enemies initial combat resolution of 5 (3 ranks, std, outnumber), so you need to inflict at least 6 wounds to ensure you don't lose to a musician. Even if you do win you still have to worry about the enemy charging your now exposed characters in their turn. And you would really need to see combat as the enemy would probably be winning in both the magic and shooting phases.

Book of Arkhan is excellent on black knights, and can at times also be useful on vampires, to set up a surprise charge, although it will normally be dispelled.

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
17-05-2007, 00:11
Here's what my flying circus list from a while back looked like. Not much in the way of magic potential so you have to kill off those mages fast...

Count-bat form, infinite hatred, sinews
thrall- bat form
thrall- bat form
thrall- bat form

8 ghouls
8 ghouls
8 ghouls
8 ghouls
5 wolves
5 wolves
5 wolves
6 wolves

4 bats
4 bats
5 knights- full command- banner of the barrows
5 knights- full command

banshee
banshee
-----------
the count and the thralls all hit the same unit and absolutly decimate it.
by the third turn the rest of yuor units should be sprinkled around to help add a few extra wounds at which time the thralls can go work in teams or alone with a few bits of help from some other units. The banshees take the role of can openers, and the knights act as a sort of flimsy anvil when combined with some thralls. The bats fly behind units you hit with the thralls so that when they flee they run into them and are destroyed by the unit that is US5. The wolves and ghouls just mage and warmachine hunt to help save your characters some serious cannon ball shaped headaches.

Rabban
17-05-2007, 02:58
The bats fly behind units you hit with the thralls so that when they flee they run into them and are destroyed by the unit that is US5.

You would need units of 5+ bats to do this as flying units only have a US of 1 per model.

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
18-05-2007, 18:59
oh yep ur right. 5 per unit.
plus its 5 units of 8 ghoulsand 3 units of wolves...
I worked pretty well, but did take some getting used to