PDA

View Full Version : Night Watch

fracas
08-04-2005, 12:39
first of a trilogy
any one with background info?

Night Watch Movie (http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/night_watch/)

Cypher
09-04-2005, 11:48
Basic Summary

Many centuries ago the forces of good and evil were locked in the eternal struggle they always seem to be. After a good long while it was realised that neither side was benefiting from this, so they called a truce: basically each side can keep doing their thing as long as neither side upsets the balance between good and evil.

Fast forward to a modern day Russia which is part Constantine and part Matrix (with no sign of Keanu anywhere) and we have the Night Watch, who are basically a bunch of fellas whose job it is to run around and make sure that the evil people are following the rules.

Incidently, the intended sequal is Day Watch, where the evil watchdog make sure the good side aren't breaking the rules.

Apparently this is the biggest film in the history of Russian cinema (it got a bigger draw than LotR did there) and by all accounts is a damn good film. Cant wait for the English release.

Festering Chantor
09-04-2005, 12:57
Thank God the Russians made the movie... When I first started to read this thread I thought Hollywood had made another 60's Anti-Communism movie starring America as the good guys and the poor Russians as the bad guys...
Never seen a Russian movie before... I'm going to see this one... as long as they don't dub it...
They speak Russian, don't they?

Eldacar
09-04-2005, 13:33
I'm going to see this one. Thing is, I'm from Australia, so it might take a while to get down here...

Festering Chantor
09-04-2005, 13:35
I'm from Norway, it ain't here yet, so yeah... it's going to be a while before it comes to Australia...

Eldacar
09-04-2005, 13:38
Ah, my father's a pilot and he flies to Singapore a lot, so he might be able to secure a DVD of it in Singapore.

*Digs into wallet looking for change, and finds it empty*

Maybe after I can get some cash together. I spend way too much on Warhammer.

Festering Chantor
09-04-2005, 13:45
I spend way too much on Warhammer.Yeah, you and everyone on this Forum. At one point I owed my parents 10 000 NOK (about 750+ USD)

Baggers
09-04-2005, 21:06
I like the sound of the film any idea when its due for release in the UK.

Kopinski
10-04-2005, 00:16
This looks absolutely brilliant. "Sin City", my ass.

Also, I just love how the beginning of the trailer's gonna screw with the minds of those cinema audiences unititiated with the likes of "subliminal/can you spot...?" and its ilk. :D

Drabant
10-04-2005, 00:58
Yeah, you and everyone on this Forum. At one point I owed my parents 10 000 NOK (about 750+ USD)

You borrowed 10 000 from your parents, and spent it on GW stuff? And I thought my purchasing behaviour was self destructive.

m1s1n
10-04-2005, 02:45
I'm not sure what I think about it.
There's this growing trend that "super stylish" is the same thing as "super quality". It looks really good, but that doesn't mean there is a lot of content to go along with it. From what I've read a lot of the Russian reviews of the film are real negative--however outside of Russia it is getting acclaim. Strange how that happens.

@Festering Chantor: I don't get your hostility towards the US. I find it to be somewhat unfounded. Hollywood does have a tendency to make American-centric films, but then again Hollywood is part of an American industry. Movie making is serious business--it requires a large investment and is very high risk. The large financial risk involved in movie making means that you will not see large budget pictures making too many choices that may scare off the audience. Since the 1960s half of Hollywood's net boxoffice profit comes from within the United States. The other half comes from outside the US. This is a huge chunk of cash coming from a domestic source--thus the target audience. Maybe this means that Hollywood film makers are less inclined to make movies where the US is a villainous force, but it is one of the major consequences of being a major studio. Simply put--you do not spend a ton of money on something that may not give you a return.

However, I do not know how this makes American movies "1960's Anti-Communist". There are a lot of great American films that directly assault the concept of "America The Hero". At the PMS we are attempting to show a wide variety of films made throughout the world--some of which will touch on this very concept. I encourage you to join as I think your comments will be a good source for discussion--additionally the exposure to different forms of cinema may be of interest to you.

Festering Chantor
10-04-2005, 10:30
@m1s1n: I'm a Communist... does that explain my hostillity?

Delicious Soy
11-04-2005, 13:31
I'd say the 80's were more responsible for the 'American Hero' films, but really portraying the Russians as bad guys wasn't too hard (unless you want to get seriously revisionist on us). I doubt I'll ever see it (Australia:rolleyes: ) but I'm not really seeing anything spectacular about it, in fact much of it appears to be cliche. I agree m1s1n, shiny does not equal quality.

Arnizipal
08-10-2005, 01:35
I just saw this movie in the theatre and I must say I'm a bit dissapointed.
During the first have of the movie I really had to struggle to keep up with the story. The constant flash backs, flash forwards and slow motion bits didn't really help either.
Then in the second half there's this big plot hole...

Why did the power get restored after the girl 'un-cursed' herself? Didn't the plant blow up?
Maybe I just didn't get it? I'll sleep on it to let it sink in.

berzerka
08-10-2005, 10:22
I just saw this movie in the theatre and I must say I'm a bit dissapointed.
During the first have of the movie I really had to struggle to keep up with the story. The constant flash backs, flash forwards and slow motion bits didn't really help either.
Then in the second half there's this big plot hole...

Why did the power get restored after the girl 'un-cursed' herself? Didn't the plant blow up?
Maybe I just didn't get it? I'll sleep on it to let it sink in.

Hmm. I didnt think about it but you are true. how the ****** do they do that.
I think the second part would be better because they dont have to explain anymore. still liked the movie, but not as much as I thought I would

Reabe
08-10-2005, 11:00
I may go to see it, it seems as though it's at my nearby cinema. I guess I'll wait to see more reviews.

I think this is a "love it or Loath it" movie. Like Marmite. Only a movie.

Brimstone
08-10-2005, 11:41
m1s1n, Festering Chantor keep the focus on the film please and not anything that will get this thread sent to P&R.

plasmadaemon
08-10-2005, 11:57
Meh, seen the film 3 months ago in Russian cinema, and i wasn't impressed, not at all, the storyline is practically non-existent and the effects are very confusing.

panda
08-10-2005, 13:41
It's here in Oz now, anyone here seen it yet?

Reabe
08-10-2005, 19:02
Meh, seen the film 3 months ago in Russian cinema, and i wasn't impressed, not at all, the storyline is practically non-existent and the effects are very confusing.

Most of the effects represent being confused and such. Rather than just having it blurred, they have it blurred in loads of colours.

Yeah, I saw it today. I liked it. I think more people will understand the story line (Which is basically a battle between "light" and "dark" [Assumed to be "good" and "evil" respectfully, although "good" can easily look like "evil" most of the time.]) when the second one comes out. Was it this december it was going to come out?

The pestilent 1
08-10-2005, 23:54
Loved the film, was rather odd (but i guess that was what they were going for)
and Evil dude (err. name escapes me?!) his plan. wow; thats an ambitious dude, a plan that didnt come to fruition for more than a decade (and hes not even a Slann or Cthulu!)