PDA

View Full Version : The Eisenstein Grey Knights

Light of the Emperor
11-05-2007, 16:22
Welcome, fellow Warseers, to the depths of Titan where I shall attempt to understand the dark secrets of the chamber militant of the Ordo Malleus.

Isn't this just another Grey Knight army? Perhaps it is on the surface, but I am piecing the background together in order to determine the origins of the Imperium's most devout warriors.
To get an idea, take a look at this: The Origins of the Grey Knights (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81307).

"Founded in great secrecy we were..."
No one is sure as to how the GK came about. Were they a second founding? Were they created from the Adeptus Custodes? Did the Emperor make them? Are they from other chapters? I love the dark enigmas of the 40K universe and the story of the GK is no exception.
Having read "Flight of the Eisenstein" from the Horus Heresy series, I have come to believe that the original Grey Knights were in fact loyal marines from the traitor legions. By resisting the taint of chaos from their fellow marines and primarchs, the Eisenstein 80 have proven themselves loyal to the Emperor and humanity. Who better then to combat the forces of chaos?

My GK will have the standard silver color scheme with the only difference being the heraldy shields on their shoulders. These will probably be in the black, white and red color scheme, but there will be hints towards their original lost legions. Captain Garro, the first marine to see the Emperor as a God, will be my Grand Master. His sword, the Veritas, is rumored to be the first nemesis force weapon.

I plan on taking my time with this army. I want it to be painted to a nice display standard. Updates might take a bit longer since I'm still working on my Vostroyans and I start full time next week...but I will do my best.

Light of the Emperor
11-05-2007, 16:24
And my first test model minus the shield:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3340.jpg

And a good time saver:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3344.jpg

Ninners
11-05-2007, 16:34
Wow that looks awesome! Do they still sell boltgun metal spray or is that an old one cos it looks old.

Where does the shield go?

Looking forward to more pics

||-MARKO-||
11-05-2007, 16:35
simply awesome stuff. Having not read the Einstein myself, I'll takr your word for the fact that they're loyal traitors ( :wtf: ). But overall, a nice idea. GK with a twist really is'nt what you see everyday! well done on that, by the way...

Paint work looks amazing, keep it up.

Marko

sir.spamalot
11-05-2007, 16:43
Wow, in that second shot that grey knight is amazing! Looking good, I am looking forward to more updates.

cheers:)

Light of the Emperor
11-05-2007, 16:45
@Ninners: Thanks. The Boltgun spray is no longer made. I had to search Warseer high and low to find someone who had some left. I probably still need more though. The shield goes on the bump on the terminators shoulderpad under the purple book.

@Marko: The thread I linked to in the first post will help clear things a bit. Its a good read too. Thanks mate!

Rictus
11-05-2007, 16:49
I must admit to not being a big fan of Grey knights, but then again I'm not a big fan of Vossies either and I love your other Project Log and follow it avidly so you can bet i'll be keeping an eye on this one as well.

I had similar thoughts on the origins of the GK after reading Eisenstein as well but not knowing that much of the GK background material I thought it probably was just me reading too much into it. I thought the GK didn't appear for some time after the Heresy?

spikyjames
11-05-2007, 16:55
nice clean looking mini there, it'll be good to see an army done to this standard.

james

Light of the Emperor
11-05-2007, 22:18
Thanks guys!

@Rictus: The Grey Knights did come after the heresy. Since they were created in secret its not known when the chapter came about and when it first fought...

Second terminator is done:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3381.jpg
Again he's missing the shield which I have yet to deal with. Taking pictures of silver models is tough. In person they look awesome, but looking at them now they seem kinda wierd.
I'll leave it for you to decide.

MF3000
11-05-2007, 23:37
Wow... those are beautiful!

I mean... i thought your green vossies were works of art... but these guys as well simply blow my mind away. Will the books and purity seals have any scribblings or left blank? just wondering, i can see why someone might not have scribbbles (because it might look messy) but ... ho hum, it looks tad bit blank.

still ******* osome stuff.

sj

Wayfarer
12-05-2007, 00:31
I always love to see more Grey Knights, and these are very clean. I'll keep be watching this log with anticipation. Though I cannot help but wish that these weren't so codex.

The Laughing God
12-05-2007, 00:58
Have you thought about trying to paing lightning bolts on the swords? Or make them a blue color, blue ink would look good.

-The Laughing God-

sir.spamalot
12-05-2007, 16:39
:eek: Amazing, these are by far the best grey knights I have seen in a while!

cheers, keep up the excellent work!

titan136
12-05-2007, 17:16
beautiful grey knights. i'm also someone who's of the belief that the GK's came from the eisenstein survivors

Light of the Emperor
12-05-2007, 20:21
Thanks for the kind words everyone. My next purchase will be one of those light tents so I can get some better pictures. The GK really look better in person so we'll see how close I can get to 'em.

I need everyone's opinion on the following:

I want each GK to show off their original legion/legion heraldy. The plan is for this to be on the shields that the terminators and justicars wear. How should this go about?
-Black white and red (codex colors) with the legion badges?
-Colors of the legion by themselves?
-Colors of the legion and the legion badges?

Secondly, "Flight of the Eisenstein" only has two legions onboard (a luna wolf and the death guard). The background from the IA: Death Guard says that Garro had 70 fellow marines total with 5 legions present. I definately wouldn't mind seeing emperor's children and even world eaters in the force.

Vasteye
14-05-2007, 22:19
First Post!

My thought would be to have a plain white background, with the earliest (loyalist) heraldry, and a black stripe, like a mourning band. It shows a kind of repentance and sorrow, but pride in their roots.

Was impressed with the vostroyan thread, good luck with this one!

DigitsDavid
14-05-2007, 22:35
VERY NICELY PAINTED. Looking forward to seeing these develop.

The Laughing God
14-05-2007, 23:03
The bases look really good. It's hard to imagine that they are just ripped up pieces cork they look real.

How many points do you have?

-The Laughing God-

sir.spamalot
14-05-2007, 23:19
Ummmm, it looks like he only has two models.....thats not that many points but I'll let him speak for himself:)

Angel Robertson
14-05-2007, 23:50
They are very sexy models

AR

The Laughing God
15-05-2007, 00:12
Ummmm, it looks like he only has two models.....thats not that many points but I'll let him speak for himself:)

But he said he had a whole army lying around; in the Vossy thread, that why I'm asking.

sir.spamalot
15-05-2007, 01:30
Oh OK, sorry I didn't know that:)

cheers, sorry for the misunderstanding

Maximus_Prime
15-05-2007, 03:56
great painting, but wouldn't they have some older kind of GKT armor?

Light of the Emperor
15-05-2007, 04:53
Cheers everyone!

Good point about the armor Maximus. Terminator armor is always ancient so they could potentially be the same suits since the GK's inception. The power armor is probably a different story. I know that the round knee caps are only on newer forms of power armor. Many, if not all the GK, don't have the knee caps. Usually the helmet helps decide what armor type it is, but with the knight style helmet its hard to gauge. It does have a heresy feel about it though.

I don't know how many points I have but I'll give an army list rundown in its current stage:

Grandmaster (Garro)
4 normal terminators, 1 with psycannon

1 Justicar, 3 normal GK, 2 with psycannon

1 Justicar, 3 normal GK, 2 with psycannon

1 Justicar, 7 normal GK (teleport)

1 Justicar, 7 normal GK (teleport)

FW dread with assault cannon, power fist

FW dread with lascannon, missile launcher

I'll be developing some background for these guys soon. I currently have 3 terminators basecoated and ready to go.

deathwing_marine
15-05-2007, 05:00
Those termies look real nice, Light, good to see you got your boltgun metal spray too.

Snakebite
15-05-2007, 08:19
Having read "Flight of the Eisenstein" from the Horus Heresy series, I have come to believe that the original Grey Knights were in fact loyal marines from the traitor legions. By resisting the taint of chaos from their fellow marines and primarchs, the Eisenstein 80 have proven themselves loyal to the Emperor and humanity. Who better then to combat the forces of chaos?

That is an amazing idea.

I've read "Flight" as well and I have to admit, the idea of Garro becoming a Grey Knight didn't occur to me. There's that little tidbit at the end where he's told that in the times to come, the Imperium will need men and women of "Inquisitive nature" which to me cried out he may become one of the first Inquisitors. I'd heard of a rumour that indicated perhaps Garviel Loken would become a Grey Knight - which would certainly tie in with your theory. Personally, I can't wait to find out!

As with your Vostroyans, I'll be following this log with great interest!

Light of the Emperor
15-05-2007, 20:17
This army is half models and half background storyline. One cannot exist without the other so I plan on throwing as much background in here as I can. If any of you die hard 40K readers want to throw in your opinions on this, feel free.

Some quick background that DantesInferno brought up in the GK thread. I happen to agree with this:

Timeline:
1. Horus virus-bombs Istvaan, Garro and his men escape back to Terra.
2. Garro and his men taken away into secret reseach facilities, begin GK program (with or without the Emperor's explict involvement, probably with his knowledge). Malcador is the one who talks to Garro while on Terra.
3. Heresy comes to Terra, Horus slain, Emperor effectively slain.
4. Guilliman sets up current system of administration.
5. Second Founding ordered.
6. GKs finalised and presented to High Lords, fitted into the Second Founding as chapter number 666.
7. Traitors finally scoured from the Imperium.
8. Traitor gene-seed ordered sealed away, records expunged etc.

Work on the remaining terminators continues.

I still am in need of suggestions for the heraldy shields. My idea is to have the primary color take up most of the middle with the secondary color forming a band on top and below. The legion's respective badge would be in the middle.

hiveminion
15-05-2007, 20:31
Since all Grey Knights are allowed to choose their own heraldry/colours, why not change designs on each shield? You could do some in split-schemes, like in quarters or halves, and some with bands. I think that would add to each Grey Knight's individuality better than having each have the same design except for the legion badge.

Just a thought.:)

Light of the Emperor
15-05-2007, 20:42
Ooh, I completely forgot about that. Good point Hiveminion. It would have to be done in such a way that the emphasis remains on the badge and colors, not the design...but I think that may work.

Oh, I'm also in need of 4 GKs in power armor and 2 GK in power armor with psycannons. I have cash and some DH stuff to trade. Thanks.

Some designs:

GK colors but with legion heraldy:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/GKShield5.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/GKShield2.jpg

Imperial insignia, but two quarters are used for color scheme:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/GKShield1.jpg

Tom
15-05-2007, 20:56
I like the top one, actually.

deathwing_marine
15-05-2007, 23:41
I too like the first one. The green wouldn't fit well with Grey Knight colors IMO.

Thats Alpha Legion, no?

Light of the Emperor
16-05-2007, 00:42
Nope its Deathguard. Their main colors were white and a camo-ish green along with a skull surrounded by spikes/ halo.

I am keeping the colors on my GK a minimum in case I do go with legion colors. It'll cover a small area so I don't think it will detract from anything. The first one is just like the ones in the codex except that the white area will display the legion badge.
My only concern is if I go that route, you really need to pay attention to see that they are "Eisenstein" GKs. If the color was there, you'd either know it immediately, or have to ask about it.

deathwing_marine
16-05-2007, 00:58
Oh yeah, duh. Should have remembered.

Judging from what I've seen of your painting, you'll be able to make the other colors fit in and make the models look real good.

Slekith
16-05-2007, 00:59
All though I find your idea most impressive and that your paintjob is very good I think that what you think is not possible. No marine lives for 10000 years without the aid of the dark powers. Garro and his 70's (not 80, I just finished the book yesterday :D) are long dead.

I think that most likely, Grey Knights are recruited among all the others chapters (except for the Custodes). A space marine while super-human is still just that, a human and so may be touched by "the gift" of physic powers. Those that stand out among their brothers with the same gift (who are to become Librarians) are recruited and told a truth that bounds them to fight the most foul foe of the Emperor.

Anyway, very good word.

deathwing_marine
16-05-2007, 01:02
All though I find your idea most impressive and that your paintjob is very good I think that what you think is not possible. No marine lives for 10000 years without the aid of the dark powers. Garro and his 70's (not 80, I just finished the book yesterday :D) are long dead.

The idea is that Garro, his men, and other "loyalist traitors" became the first Grey Knights. Its not in M39, but just after the Heresy.

Slekith
16-05-2007, 01:04
My fault! Either I didn't get it or I need to read more carefully! Flawless then!!

Light of the Emperor
16-05-2007, 01:07
You make a good point Slekith. My army isn't in the "current" time so to speak. My army is fighting in the 31/32 millenium which is right after the heresy. Now, if the theory of Garro and co. is to be believed, then the descendents from him and others are still fighting today.

Current background states that GKs, IIRC, do not often recruit from other chapters. They go to feral worlds and find the most capable and "gifted" recruits and train them from a young age.

Vasteye
16-05-2007, 18:36
I personally agree with the theory, for all the already discussed reasons. The survivors showed a purity and resistance to the taint of the rest of the leigons.
Only flaw that appears is that in the DH codex it states all grey knights, terminators especially, are potent psykers. None of the characters in 'flight' seemed to show any sign of that. although i believe there are hints that there may be some hidden ability.
The interest that the sisters of silence take in him, and the hints that he can use his sword like a force weapon suggest garro may, with proper experimentation, be able to become a psyker.

As for the heraldry, looking good

sir.spamalot
16-05-2007, 20:04
I like the last one it has the hereldry/colours of the death guard plus some post-heresy loyalist iconography (the imperial eagle)

cheers

Light of the Emperor
16-05-2007, 20:07
You are correct Vasteye. They potentially had hidden psychic powers which had not yet emerged. Perhaps with their indoctrination and training they may have awoken those abilites.
The Veritas is Garro's weapon which may have become the first nemesis force weapon and upon which all other nemesis weapons are based.

Finished terminators (well, barring the shields)...Garro's next!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3436.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3436-1.jpg

hiveminion
16-05-2007, 20:11
Awesome work. I know this is like telling a breath-takingly beautiful woman that you like her shoes but I love the bases.

Looking forward to Garro!

Vasteye
16-05-2007, 22:57
are you planning on having veritas as a sword, or mounted as a halberd?

Stern has a pretty rad looking sword thats to scale for a GKT.

Light of the Emperor
16-05-2007, 23:32
It'll definately be the sword. Stern will be the model to represent Garro since he's the only GK without a helmet. If the "FotE" book cover is any indication, I can make Stern look like the DG soldiers. The SoB decal sheet has a black skull surrounded by a halo which is perfect for his shield heraldy.
While the 5 termies are done, I still have a brother sgt who will represent the Luna Wolf whose name I can't remember at the moment.

Snakebite
17-05-2007, 08:17
I still have a brother sgt who will represent the Luna Wolf whose name I can't remember at the moment.

Iacton Qruze, the Half Heard.

I'm on my third readthrough of the book!

DantesInferno
17-05-2007, 14:42
They're stunningly good Grey Knights! I look forward to the subtle hints as to their origins.

And I wouldn't worry too much if you wanted to include a few former World Eaters or Emperor's Children marines in your force along with the ex-Death Guard. Given the immense size of the pre-Heresy Legions, I'm sure there was the opportunity for lone Marines from those Legions to defect and fight their way back to the light, where they conceivably could have been incorporated into the Grey Knight program, which at that time would have been in its infancy.

The models themselves are amazing though! Keep up the good work!

Angel Robertson
17-05-2007, 16:17
Great looking GK, but if you were doing them as Garro led knights i think thier armour should look a tad bit more worn or dated? Just a thought!

AR

dave38x
17-05-2007, 16:21
how long have you taken on each of those models? if your like me you will spend hours on each one, perfecting every last detail ja?

whilst i would never ever collect a loyalist force, i would be tempted (and was very nearly tempted, outbid at the last on ebay grrr) with the GK because they are soooooo shiny. the only inhibitor is the cost. very nice models though!!

Light of the Emperor
17-05-2007, 17:15
@Snakebite: Ah, that's it. Thank you very much. I definately need to go back and read all the novels again...they are my favorite BL books.

@DantesInferno: You brought up some good points over in background forum on the GK. The IA article states that members of only 5 legions were with Garro. I agree with this because there are some legions I just can't see harboring any loyal marines.

Luna Wolves: Present. There were quite a few marines loyal to the Emperor.
Death Guard: Present. Greatest contingent of the Eisenstein.
World Eaters: Present. There were loyal WE on Istvaan.
Emperor's Children: Present. Tarvitz warned Garro afterall...
Iron Warriors: No. They seem too bitter.
Thousand Sons: Present. All they did was try to warn the Emperor. I bet there are a few that escaped the Wolves.
Night Lords: No. Sunk into depravity.
Word Bearers: No. Entire legion embraced chaos and practially started the HH.
Alpha Legion: No. Too mysterious to tell. Perhaps "Legion" will make things clear.

@Angel Robertson: This army isn't in the 41st millenium per-se. I would place them in the early to mid 30's. Battle damage is a good idea though.

@Dave38X: I am a speed painter. I finished 3 of the terminators in one day. My painting style is a lot different from others. I don't use excessive amounts of color blends and highlights. Most of my paints are straight from the pot and not more than three layers. Inks are my biggest trick. I am a stickler for detail and like to make the model look flawless. In the grand scheme of things, neatness is what (IMO) makes my models look good.

Deadleyheadley
17-05-2007, 17:46
I love the Grey knights mate keep up the cool work,After seeing yours I want to strip all mine :(

Light of the Emperor
17-05-2007, 20:49
Thanks Deadley!

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but how cool would this be in GK colors?
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/spacemarines/7.jpg

Natually, it would be called the Eisenstein.

I'm currently working on the shields. Hopefully they'll be done by tonight.

dave38x
17-05-2007, 22:02
Not fair not fair not fair! I have to blend my colours. That said, i would start at tin bitz and work my way up to silver for that dark, tarnished feel.

sarabando
17-05-2007, 23:33
nah dont use a TH scratch build a stormbird that would rock.

Rictus
18-05-2007, 00:16
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but how cool would this be in GK colors?
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/spacemarines/7.jpg

Natually, it would be called the Eisenstein.

Ah go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on*.

Yes, you have to do it.

*for the Father Ted fans.

jasevx
18-05-2007, 09:05
Nah, if your doing the Eisenstein, its got to be the real cruiser scratch built, I dare you!

Holycrusader
18-05-2007, 12:30
Nah, if your doing the Eisenstein, its got to be the real cruiser scratch built, I dare you!

That was pretty cruel :)
How big should be suchg cruiser to fit in 28 mm scale?

Hideous Loon
18-05-2007, 12:35
Pretty darn big, I can tell you that. It wouldn't be the battlefield, but more like the house where you play, considering that it's a few kilometers long.

sir.spamalot
18-05-2007, 15:02
You could play an apocalypse game with the eisenstien, it would be that big. But I say go for it buy a thunderhawk:)

cheers

Vasteye
18-05-2007, 16:48
a converted stormbird would be pretty awesome

Light of the Emperor
18-05-2007, 18:10
Does anyone have a picture of said stormbird? I definately know that I can't scratch build one though. No skills and I lack pretty much every material needed. Plus, the t-hawk is just that: a thunderhawk! I consider it the holy grail of models...

Rictus
18-05-2007, 19:54
Does anyone have a picture of said stormbird? I definately know that I can't scratch build one though. No skills and I lack pretty much every material needed. Plus, the t-hawk is just that: a thunderhawk! I consider it the holy grail of models...

Unfortunately I don't think there are any (official) pictures of a Stormbird. Untill the HH novels I don't think they have ever been mentioned. I never noticed one in the HH artbooks either.

Personally I think a Stormbird would be a bit over kill for the army (though it would be cool). Being able to hold 100 marines is a bit over the top for anything other very big games and doesn't really fit into the small forces the GK field. Definately go for the T'hawk Gunship, though thinking about it if you are going to get one you might as well get a second T'hawk in the shape of a transporter as well. Go on, you know you want to.

Gropius
18-05-2007, 20:09
In epic Space Marine Have a Landing Craft that can transport up to 60 Marines and either 4 Land Raiders or 6 Rhinos/Preds/Vindis/Whirls. I don't now the description of the Stormbird but this sounds similar.

Snakebite
19-05-2007, 10:34
You could fight battles aboard the Eisenstein - thus giving you added historical flavour and an excuse (like you need one!) to build another themed board.

But...

The Veritas is Garro's weapon which may have become the first nemesis force weapon and upon which all other nemesis weapons are based.

Wasn't Garro's weapon called Libertas?

sir.spamalot
19-05-2007, 15:22
That would be really cool if you had a go at painting and modeling the Eisenstien for playing games on. That would be such a great project:)

Well I'm here voting for it:)

cheers

Light of the Emperor
24-05-2007, 14:45
I've always thought of building a small Space Hulk board, but the lack of gamers in the area doesn't really make it worthwhile. I mean, I already have TWO 8x4 tables...

Grandmaster Nathaniel Garro, Hero of the Death Guard, is finished. I think he looks really good. Once the base is finished, I will post pictures...so look for them tonight.
He'll be getting some background info as well, much like Comrade General Mikhail Augustus Vladkov of the Vostroyan 11th.
I also finished one more terminator which completes all the terminators in this army.

Now its on to 28 power armored GK.

Cheers!

Sinzaren
24-05-2007, 17:07
In epic Space Marine Have a Landing Craft that can transport up to 60 Marines and either 4 Land Raiders or 6 Rhinos/Preds/Vindis/Whirls. I don't now the description of the Stormbird but this sounds similar.

I think this is what you are meaning there.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110301025&orignav=300808

Sinz

Light of the Emperor
25-05-2007, 02:45
All the terminators (still minus scroll writing and shields):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3483.jpg

Grandmaster Garro, Hero of the Death Guard:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3476.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3479.jpg

He looks waaaaay better in person. GK just don't photograph well.

Now then, all I need to do is paint 28 more GK, 2 FW dreads, a FW preheresy landraider and (hopefully) a thunderhawk.

Questions, comments and criticisms welcome as always!

deathwing_marine
25-05-2007, 02:57
Very good, even with the unphotogenic Grey Knights :p
What happened to his eye? Probably in the books, which I havent read yet

Light of the Emperor
25-05-2007, 03:07
Hehe nothing happened. I can't put a black dot in there if my life depended on it. Rather than ruin the eye/ face, I'll just leave it blank until I get better or find someone who can help. In all honesty, I never paint eyes anyways because at tabletop height, you don't even notice.

deathwing_marine
25-05-2007, 03:12
:eek: :p sorry dude, I thought he was scarred or something!
Painting eyes is a pain. I've done some real nice ones, but when I first started one of my marine's faces kept coming out so badly that I made him have pretty much a bionic face :p he looks like a Cylon or something.

"Oh that guy? He got his face blown off by a grenade...." :D

Sinzaren
25-05-2007, 10:55
Nice work mate.

As for the eye, next time you need to do a one try painting the eye in first then doing the flesh around it, its what I do and it seems to be working well for me.

Sinz

hiveminion
25-05-2007, 15:56
I love Garro. The facework looks very different from the 'Eavy Metal captain Stern which is good as it sets them apart.

Looking forward to more of your work!

sir.spamalot
25-05-2007, 15:57
NICE! Should Garro have death guard imagry/heraldry on him or not?

cheers

Greblord
25-05-2007, 17:02
Eyes: Get yourself down to your local art shop and pick up a 0.05 mm pigment ink fine liner. They're about 3. Then you can dot your eyes (and cross your Ts) with ease :)

BodhiTree
25-05-2007, 17:14
They're awesome, bud. :)

The only thing that sticks out for me is that the shading on the loincloths seems to have gone a little awry, like Chestnut Ink not watered down. I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, I haven't looked over the entire thread yet.

Light of the Emperor
25-05-2007, 17:25
Thanks Greblord, I'll pick one up.

SirSpamalot: He and all the others will be getting their heraldy as soon as I can get find the time to get going on it. Should look cool though and it will help show them as "Eisenstein" GK rather than normal.

You're right BodhiTree. I don't like it either. I actually did water it down a lot, but for some odd reason it built up too much. However, it looks ok when looking at it. Again, I put most of the blame on the camera. For example, all my GK are shaded with black ink, but you it doesn't look like it because of the way they're photographed.
I guess that just means you guys need to come by sometime and see 'em for yourself...and then play a couple games!

Light of the Emperor
26-05-2007, 01:57
Another bad picture of a power armor marine:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3485.jpg

the_dark_sarge
26-05-2007, 03:08
sweeeet
nice work
the picture isnt that bad, better than what my crappy photography skills allow

kieran

Light of the Emperor
27-05-2007, 01:17
I had an epiphany on the shields...why not use bitz to make 3-D legion symbols?

Grandmaster Garro uses a split Iron Halo and a skull shaved from a marine backpack. Iacton Qruze has a space wolves transfer which is just like the Luna Wolf symbol minus the half moon (I'm not gonna press my luck trying to paint that).
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3487.jpg

I have an Emperor's Children shield in the works which has half an imperial eagle wing with claw (kinda like what they had on the shoulder pad) which will be purple and gold. I also greenstuffed the World Eater's symbol onto another shield.

Darknight
27-05-2007, 02:35
Awesome models, there!

For the half-moon, can you mix and match transfers from elsewhere? If you get a circle transfer and cut it with a sharp knife, you might be able to make the moon shape.

the_dark_sarge
27-05-2007, 03:07
thats so sweet
i need more pics

Firestorm Falcon
27-05-2007, 11:16
The heraldry works well It makes a focal point for the eye on models I think are a little cluttered.

Light of the Emperor
27-05-2007, 23:31
Two more shields:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3499.jpg

This leaves me with 3 more terminators. One will definately be another DG since they consisted of most of the loyal forces. I was thinking perhaps of Alpha Legion, or perhaps even an Iron Warrior?

The Alpha Legion are quite mysterious so I wonder if its possible some remained loyal eventhough they probably never even saw the Emperor.

The Iron Warriors just seem always evil to me. But, when the quelled the uprising on their homeworld, perhaps some had an epiphany and devoted themselves fully again to the Emperor...

The Thousand Sons are a favorite of mine, but I'm having trouble with their logo. Does anyone have suggestions as to what bitz I can use to make it seeing that my GS skills are minimal at best?

The IA article states that only 5 legions were aboard the Eisenstein. The book only lists 2. Regardless, I'm sure there were loyalists from other legions that became GK as well. Should I stick to 5 or expand? There's only one legion I can truely rule out and that's the Word Bearers who fully succumbed to Chaos.

Althanan
28-05-2007, 02:04
Absolutely WONDERFUL work LotE... this really helps inspire my own DH forces. Love the background, and love the models even more.

sir.spamalot
28-05-2007, 02:15
Really good work there mate. I think you should just stick to 5 legions.

cheers, keep up the good work:)

Snakebite
28-05-2007, 07:25
I've been trying to find a unique "hook" for my own army for some time now. With the idea behind those heraldic shields and the way you've been able to pull them off, you've done it - big time!

My personal favourite out of them would be the Emperor's Children logo. As for how many Legions should you go with, I'd say stick with what you've got.

As an aside, I find it makes less historical sense to have a lot of members of different Legions aboard one frigate. Having said that, just having two different Legion emblems on your Terminators seems an awful waste of i) a good idea and ii) your modelling skills.

Also, I've read the book a few times now. It's really strange to see the characters made manifest in model form. Strange but in a really good way!

dave is the best
28-05-2007, 09:54
Really cool, The EC symbol is awsome. I'm sure if you want something sculpted for you you could a selok or many others to do it.

Dave

Light of the Emperor
28-05-2007, 14:33
Glad to help out Snakebite.

Alright, I shall stick with 5 legions as per the original IA article. And while only two legions may have truely escaped on the Eisenstein, I bet other marines may have tried the same thing, or joined the opposition when they could. I have 4 legions currently and the last one will be the Thousand Sons. The full red and gold will be a nice edition to the current colors on the shields.

I am looking for 4 of the plastic iron halos that come with the space marine commander box...let me know if any of you have spares. Thanks!

tagsta
28-05-2007, 17:42
AWESOME ;)
I never was a fan of the grey knights but at the end of the eisenstein book i thought. "How cool would it be if the loyal marines became grey knights"
I absolutely love this project ;)
The shields look amazing ;)

on the power armoured marines you should add some PH parts (studded shoulderpads etc) though =)#

/edit:
just read your question;
I think you should stick to the 5 legions.. they are perfectly ok
which IA article was it? the DG or the GK one?

greetz

Light of the Emperor
28-05-2007, 19:05
Hey thanks Tagsta!

I'll have to get some more pins but that's a good idea. I was thinking of changing the backpacks to look more preheresy...kinda like the ones Doghouse uses on his truescale marines.

I will indeed stick with the 5 so the last remaining legion will indeed be Thousand Sons. The Eisenstein and Garro are mentioned in the DG IA article.

James Swallow toyed with the article a bit too which I found interesting. Garro had several rumors on what he became after the heresy. In the book however, it is one of his fellow marines who becomes an apothecary to absolve the DG of their disease and another marine who becomes the Lord of Flies...which leaves Garro with only on real option.

Light of the Emperor
30-05-2007, 02:58
I have a Thousand Sons shield in progress. It turns out that plastic Dark Eldar arm blades are the perfect little curves for the flaming star or whatever the symbol may be. I'll hopefully have it up by tomorrow evening. The red will be a nice addition among the white and purple shields.

titan136
30-05-2007, 06:11
loving the custom shields

the_dark_sarge
30-05-2007, 08:51
sweet, nice work on the shields
kieran

punisher
30-05-2007, 12:07
my bis in at 120 lol :)

Light of the Emperor
31-05-2007, 01:04
Two more shields down. One left, but I need an iron halo for that. Hello BWbitz.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3547.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3550.jpg

Time to start working on the first power armored squad.

Now, who here is going to Gamesday Baltimore?

sir.spamalot
31-05-2007, 01:06
Ummm me *raises hand* (that is only if you promise to bring your vostroyans:p)

cheers, the spam man

deathwing_marine
31-05-2007, 14:32
ooh, pretty Grey Knights....
cant wait for the power armored guys

i have no way of getting to Baltimore :cries:

cleansingfury
31-05-2007, 14:39
Wow you put me to shame.

KayvaanShrike
31-05-2007, 15:09
Hey, they are pretty cool shields on those GK.
One question, having not yet read FoTE, how did the first members of the GK (the Imperium's most faithful marines) stem from legions that ultimetely turned to Chaos? My is mighty confuzzled. Was it that they didn't turn to Chaos at the same time as others or what?

Awesome paintjobs on them btw.

baphomael
31-05-2007, 16:52
Hey, they are pretty cool shields on those GK.
One question, having not yet read FoTE, how did the first members of the GK (the Imperium's most faithful marines) stem from legions that ultimetely turned to Chaos? My is mighty confuzzled. Was it that they didn't turn to Chaos at the same time as others or what?

Awesome paintjobs on them btw.

The idea is that because they managed to overcome their loyalty to the Legion in favour of their greater loyalty to the Emperor then they are, in a sense, even more steadfast, loyal and brave than a normal astarte. Plus, they had a few run-ins with some daemons anyways so they know the ropes :P

dave is the best
31-05-2007, 17:01
This army is super, how many pionts are you going to have?

Dave

Light of the Emperor
31-05-2007, 18:20
Thanks for the kind words guys!

@Kayvaan: Baphomael summed it up quite well. Garro and a few marines from most of the other legions remained completely loyal to the Emperor, disregarding Horus, their primarchs and their once-brothers. They also resisted the temptation of Chaos which may indicate a hidden power...or a strong will. The resistance is exactly what GK need to have. Garro also battled a greater daemon of nurgle and survived. Malcador and the Emperor knew that he would be an important candidate for the secret project.

@Dave: I'm going to shoot for about 2,000. Here's what I plan to definately have in the army:

Grandmaster Garro
6 GK terminators (1 with psycannon)

6 GK (inc justicar, 2 psycannons)
6 GK (inc justicar, 2 psycannons)

8 GK (inc justicar)
8 GK (inc justicar)

GK dread with lascannon, missile launcher
GK dread with assault cannon, CCW

Pre-heresy Landraider

dave is the best
31-05-2007, 18:27
Cool can't wait to see it done especialy the Pre-heresy Landraider.

Light of the Emperor
31-05-2007, 18:36
I think so too. It would be the FW version, but I want to try and cut away the top panels that cover the tracks and add more treads. It would look alot more like the first landraider model that GW sold.

dave is the best
31-05-2007, 18:51
Yeah I would like to see that done. I have a landraider that i need the trak guards for a leman russ. so i will try it for you.

Dave

Light of the Emperor
31-05-2007, 18:56
Awesome. Definately let me know how that goes.

ice
31-05-2007, 19:42
I love the GK's, just amazingly well painted! keep up the awesome work LoTE (and these are the first silver GK's I've seen)

Light of the Emperor
01-06-2007, 01:10
With a few sent PMs, I now have 2 GK dreads coming my way.

Going to Gamesday (basically a 3 day weekend) will run me around 500 dollars. That pretty much kills the thunderhawk for now unless I generate high amounts of income (legally) within the next few weeks.

There seriously has to be a few more of you guys going...you can't all be in England...:p

dave is the best
01-06-2007, 08:36
I would love to go but i'm in England, and im too young.

Dave

the_dark_sarge
01-06-2007, 10:41
yes i would go to if i wasnt in australia
seriously there is nothing like Games day in AUS, only the golden demon final
pity bout that
kieran

KayvaanShrike
01-06-2007, 10:53
Oh right I see, cheers for clearing that up.

Alas I am in Scotland, and a poor student lol

Keep up the good work, and that list sounds pretty good, shame there isnt so much variety of troops for GK.

Light of the Emperor
01-06-2007, 21:59
Yeah the GK have only 3 or 4 standard poses and even then the legs are a little out of proportion. I'm not doing any extensive converting on these guys...my vostroyans take up all the time for that.

Now in honest opinion, are the terminators GD finals material? I have other entries but just might bring them along if there's a shot. They really do look better in person...but I don't know.

floyd pinkerton
01-06-2007, 22:23
These guys look cracking, could i suggest adding guys from Legions that didn't turn, who had previously battled daemons or whatever fluffy reason.

Anyways, keep the good work up

Rictus
01-06-2007, 22:33
That pretty much kills the thunderhawk for now unless I generate high amounts of income (legally) within the next few weeks.

Nooooo! I was so looking forward to seing you doing a Thunderhawk. Can't you temporarily suspend your morals and earn some quick cash illegally?

Light of the Emperor
01-06-2007, 22:36
Hehe I really want to do it too, but I have about 400 dollars going towards a trip to Gamesday that I can't really justify throwing another 700 on top of that...
Unless someone wants to buy a painted model off of me for about 200 haha.

Luthien
02-06-2007, 22:18
Bloody Incredible!! The bar is well and truly raised!! the idea was class in the first place, i'm gonna get me some GK :D

Light of the Emperor
03-06-2007, 04:13
Got in touch with an old friend of mine and we're gonna be going to Games Day together. What does this mean? I don't have to pay rediculous hotel prices...which means...THUNDERHAWK baby! I'm really pumped about this :D .

Of course, I'm not just gonna build and paint the hawk...oh no. Inspired by THIS (http://youtube.com/watch?v=incEQV41PG8&mode=related&search=) awesome mp3 speaker squiggoth project, I've decided to add a system to the thunderhawk blaring imperial hymnals and dramatic music from soundtracks and narration from THIS (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lcijo-CE-v8).

deathwing_marine
03-06-2007, 04:22
myesss.... that should be awesome!

Vasteye
03-06-2007, 13:02
thats ... thats such an awesome idea! :eek: :D

blaring devotional hymns as it obliterates everything in its field of fire - coool. If you could get headlights that flare with purity, that would also rock

Strafbomber
03-06-2007, 13:14
Now in honest opinion, are the terminators GD finals material? I have other entries but just might bring them along if there's a shot. They really do look better in person...but I don't know.

Oh I think so!
Give them a Display base and I think you might stand a good chance with them.

Are you going to give the Dreadnoughts legion icongraphy as well?
That would be sweet as it really sets these Grey Knights apart.

The Laughing God
03-06-2007, 14:41
That would be cool. I think the LED headlights would make it more of the ultimate thunderhawk.

Messiah
03-06-2007, 15:50
Phantastic! I love the EC symbol, but great work all over!

tagsta
13-06-2007, 23:05
updaaaates!!!

Light of the Emperor
14-06-2007, 00:25
I wish I had some to show...

I'm working full time now in addition to some commission work AND my golden daemon entries. I do have a FW GK dread and a squad of knights set for priming tomorrow.

Expect some major updates after GD when I start to build the thunderhawk.

Light of the Emperor
14-06-2007, 12:44
Funny, I had a 5.00 rating and then fell down to 3.67. That had to have been a 1 or 2 to bring it down that far.

If someone does indeed vote that low, let me know why...my painting isn't the best and I can always use suggestions for improvement.

But, I've seen a lot of people's great logs take hits due to inconsiderate people who seem to enjoy skewing ratings...'tis a shame.

jasevx
14-06-2007, 12:47
Its not you, theres a Spammer or two going around giving everyone 1's, can't understand why, it won't bump their thread up!

Light of the Emperor
14-06-2007, 18:37
Yeah I just came on and there's no one with 5's left. That's wrong...I'm gonna go back and give people good marks that they deserve.

Light of the Emperor
25-06-2007, 23:53
And here is the army centerpiece...the Eisenstein!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3592.jpg

I bought some extra purity seals and plan on adding heraldy shields along the hull for my 5 legions.

Then there is the sound system. If anyone has some sound editing software, please PM me so I can see if something is possible. Thanks.

I need some help on mounting the thing. For those of you who own flyers, how do you mount your craft securely in the air on a pole so that it can be removable? A tutorial would be great.

schoolcormorant
25-06-2007, 23:55
i'd consider going out the back of you're house, with an axe, take down a tree and use that.

i cannnnnoooott wait to see this built

SC

Rictus
25-06-2007, 23:57
yeahyeahyeahyeahyeah!

I've been looking forward to seeing the first post you make on here after GD Baltimore. There is a far number of parts there, should be enjoyable seeing you put it together.

Light of the Emperor
26-06-2007, 00:02
The number of parts suprised me...especially the little things. The wings are solid resin and very heavy.
Understandably, the t-hawk is drenched in that mold release agent so cleaning is gonna be an uphill battle.

Rogue Trader
26-06-2007, 00:04
cool, a thunderhawk * sound of drool *

Rictus
26-06-2007, 00:17
cool, a thunderhawk * sound of drool *

Does drool make a sound?

Personnally I would give the chaps at FW a call and ask them about how to mount the T'hawk. They have a bit of experience with it so they should know the best way of keeping it up in the air safely. Did Spikeyjames mount his T'hawk?

Light of the Emperor
26-06-2007, 00:18
I don't believe he did. FW is an idea though. I think Captain Brown mounted his valkryies.

Rictus
26-06-2007, 00:26
I don't believe he did. FW is an idea though. I think Captain Brown mounted his valkryies.

That's true, as did Deadly. The T'hawk is bigger though (and a damn sight more expensive) so it'll have to a more beefier version.

From what i have heard from others FW are quite good at giving advice etc though it can be a while for them to get back to you with an answer (if you email them). There might be something on the website as isn't there an online instruction/advice sheet for the T'hawk? Or am I thinking of the Warhound?

calcipher
26-06-2007, 00:26
OH MY GOD!!!! A THUNDERHAWK! you are my new God, build it and show me step by step, pretty please!

sir.spamalot
26-06-2007, 01:53
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah *picks up jaw and wipes up drool* a thun...thun...thun...thunderhaaaaawk? SWEET! lets get crackin matey, you need to please the populace and get 'er done!

;):):p

cheers, the spam man

cleansingfury
26-06-2007, 02:17
I absolutely love them!

Best bet to mount the thing would be to use multiple stands, or make a hook over the table and move it using strings...

deathwing_marine
26-06-2007, 04:40
oooooooooooooh....

this will be one big shiny expensive bird

prometheus
26-06-2007, 06:37
i havent helped at all with this thread so far but am interested in your work. I have an idea for the stand of your "eisenstein". Use a wooden display stand (like you would use for mdel planes or some arts and crafts projects) and drill a hole in the center of it. In that hole you should put a rod of brass tubing, thickness and length is up to you. Hope this is helpful.

Light of the Emperor
26-06-2007, 12:53
You're right prometheus. I've gotten that far, but now I need to figure out how to mount the hawk on the pole and make it removable when needed.

Here's my thought process:
Have an end of a pipe threaded and "indented" a bit further from the outside diameter of the pipe. Then I'd slide a washer on top which would keep the hawk from sliding down. I'd drill a hole in the hawk and glue a nut on the inside and then just rotate the hawk onto the pole.

MF3000
26-06-2007, 12:57
Don't forget to add the magnet to the pole/base. So that your thing sticks for extra strength.

sj

prometheus
28-06-2007, 02:12
yeah haha thats what my idea was until i started to type it. then it somehow became different and confusing...oh well...

deathwing_marine
28-06-2007, 04:27
Any progress with the T'hawk yet LotE?

Light of the Emperor
28-06-2007, 04:49
I'm currently painting a bunch of stuff, but every night I am working on cleaning up the bitz...There is a lot of flash and lines that need to be fixed before I start. I'll hopefully have it built by the weekend. The last thing I will do however is rush it.

One of the things I'm currently painting is a GK dread with psycannon which will "count as" an assault cannon.

I also built up my first GK squad consisting of a justicar, 2 psycannons and 3 marines.

deathwing_marine
28-06-2007, 05:02
I'm currently painting a bunch of stuff, but every night I am working on cleaning up the bitz...There is a lot of flash and lines that need to be fixed before I start. I'll hopefully have it built by the weekend. The last thing I will do however is rush it.

One of the things I'm currently painting is a GK dread with psycannon which will "count as" an assault cannon.

I also built up my first GK squad consisting of a justicar, 2 psycannons and 3 marines.

Thats good. I wouldnt rush a model that expensive, what is it, $700?

Forgeworld dread? Or plastic?

Sounds like some good progress dude, keep it up. Any cool conversions planned with the Power Armored boys?

vice
08-07-2007, 09:49
Wow, this army will be astounding when completed... The shields are very well done, and the painting is great. And then there is a T-hawk! Have there been any updates worth reporting? Consider this subscribed!

spikyjames
08-07-2007, 10:31
for mounting the thunderhawk i agree it'd be best speaking to the fw guys, personally i never even considered it as the model's fairly heavy and it'll need a very strong rod to hold it. also i didn't want to have to drill a hole in the bottom of mine just in case i made a mistake. there will be alot of hollow space in the main body don't know if that's a good or a bad thing tbh.

here's my TH log- http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55479 it might help when building.

james

Light of the Emperor
08-07-2007, 14:37
Ah that's perfect. Thanks Spikey!

@Vice: Nothing yet. I am working on a FW dread, but he'll probably get stripped again as I do not like how he looks. I do have 5 GK in power armor primed and ready for paint.

Rictus
08-07-2007, 18:25
Here is a pic I took from last years Games Day, it was a display table by GCN (Games Club Network?) showing mainly FW stuff including three T'Hawks (I think).
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/Games%20Day%2006/gcntable1.jpg
As you can see the T'hawks were all mounted on rods and they seemed pretty stable (considering people were knocking the table and touching them, even though they weren't meant to...). Unfortunately non of the pics I took show underneath where the rod joins the model and you can't really see what diameter they used.

In hindsight the pic isn't much help at all. Sorry, just ignore me.

The Laughing God
08-07-2007, 18:49
In hindsight the pic isn't much help at all. Sorry, just ignore me.

Yeah, but it's still an awesome pic:D

-The Laughing God-

Light of the Emperor
14-07-2007, 23:08
The Thunderhawk has been cleaned and is ready for painting. The problem I now face is color composition. Almost the entire craft will be boltgun metal. What do I paint the engines?

Firestorm Falcon
14-07-2007, 23:12
Black with little highlights perhapse, might work well with the silver?

deathwing_marine
15-07-2007, 01:00
i think the hull could all be shiny silver, while the engines could be more dirty and worn looking. Maybe a few black and brown ink washes? i like the look of flesh wash on silver

Light of the Emperor
15-07-2007, 02:27
That was my thinking...I'd use the boltgun spray on the hull and then drybrush tin bitz and boltgun on the engines. Still, its a lot of silver. There will be a lot of gold and red accents though to help break it up.

The Laughing God
15-07-2007, 15:28
To break the silver up, why not paint a red stripe on both sides to make it symmetrical?

-The Laughing God-

calcipher
15-07-2007, 16:10
This will be quite a task with all those flat surfaces, but Im sure you can pull it off mate. Did you get the chapter doors too?

Rogue Trader
15-07-2007, 16:40
why dont you try an airbrush for painting the hawk, you can get cheap beginner sets for 30 or so with a decent precision brush and a can of propellant instead of an air compressor

spikyjames
15-07-2007, 18:16
for the engine's my first thought was to suggest black, but yeah possibly just give them a few washes of brown+black ink to dirty them up a bit.

james

orangesm
15-07-2007, 18:50
Gold! Ok maybe not straight gold, but gilding. It may work.

Light of the Emperor
16-07-2007, 01:02
1st squad almost complete (justicar needs a heraldy shield and they all need dullcoat:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3775.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3777.jpg

Way too much silver on the standard GK IMO. I wish they had shoulder pads like the terminators to add some more detail. Oh well.

hallowed_are_the_ori
16-07-2007, 05:25
Man they are perfect they way they are!
They're great.

Good work.

sir.spamalot
16-07-2007, 15:17
Looking good mate, I have had terrible experiences with photographing silver, but for some reason you can get decent pics..

Luthien
16-07-2007, 16:25
Aww c'mon i was enjoying this log and it's had no new pics :cries:
I stand corrected i just forund the lovely new GK on the previous page

Light of the Emperor
16-07-2007, 17:23
My update posts have a habit of being the last ones on a page so they get missed sometimes :).

Glad people like them. I'm still kinda negative towards them. They do look better in person. From table height they look pretty cool too. Close ups though aren't as good as they can be.
It's a tough line to balance on. On one hand you want details available at arms length/ table top height (extreme highlights, bold shading etc). On the other hand, crisp subtle highlights look good up close but are nigh invisible from far away.

spikyjames
16-07-2007, 17:51
GK's are looking great, dull cote will really flaten out the silver, i'd personally leave them as is.

keep up the good work.

james

deathwing_marine
17-07-2007, 02:36
The Knights look great, am I gonna get to see them in person on Saturday in Concord? :D

Inquisitor_Greyjoy
21-07-2007, 02:32
Amazing models! I really like the concept.

My favorites so far have got to be the Terminators, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Thunderhawk completed!

Cheers,

cthorpe
21-07-2007, 22:43
Hi there,

These are looking really great.. fantastic work, and I really like the idea behind them..

Best wishes,

Carl

Thorfinn
24-07-2007, 04:00
This thread has become quite long, so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned...

My interpretation of the end of the novel was that Garro, Qruze, and perhaps the Silent Sister become the first Inquisitors, rather than forming the Grey Knights. The saint girl may go on to found what would be known as the Daughters of the Emperor.

I really don't think any of these guys were pskers, which is sort of a prerequisit of being a Grey Knight. I think the origins of the Grey Knights are more complicated, happen much later.

Figs look awesome though. Keep it up.
:skull:

Light of the Emperor
24-07-2007, 05:08
Feasible points.

Garro did seem to have a latent psychic ability. He was able to hear the saint talking to him and had visions as well. His sword the Veritas also seems to be a force weapon. If Garro was indoctrinated as a GK, then the harsh training would have awakened his hidden psychic powers.
Qruze is a bit more of a mystery...

I figure, once a space marine, always a space marine. Even though Malcador mentioned "inquisitive" minds, I really believe Garro became a GK. Older background such as that from the Index Astartes hints at it as well.

The GK are thought to be a second founding chapter which would mean they "officially" came into existence after the Horus Heresy. Garro would have finished his training by then.

Astador
24-07-2007, 05:56
LotE, sorry it took me so long to comment on your new army. Beautiful models mate! Can't wait to play you in a few months!

Firestorm Falcon
24-07-2007, 09:14
The knights are looking great as ever, keep up the good work.

zx3
30-07-2007, 01:23
Ive got an article on iron Warriors, but i think it's German, maybe i can provide a scan though

heldane
04-08-2007, 00:06
The Thunderhawk has been cleaned and is ready for painting. The problem I now face is color composition. Almost the entire craft will be boltgun metal. What do I paint the engines?

Surely as a vehicle of the death guard the eisenstein would have been an unadorned ship with a brass skull. Galaxy in flames (i think) has a descrition of the Deathguards equipment.

Maybe going with a pale dirty grey and then using silver for anything mechanical? I'm of the opinion that to much silver/metalics might be a little over the top, but thats just me.

As an aside, was it actually a Grey Knight T'Hawk you picked up, any chance of a a pic of the GK only kit that comes with itif it is?

Cheers

Dan

Light of the Emperor
04-08-2007, 00:14
I'm kinda worried about the silver too. But, if I ink it right and dullcoat it, it'll look more grey than silver.

The GK thunderhawk isn't at all different from the normal space marine version. It comes with an added sprue of grey knight and inquisition icons...but they are molded into the sprue itself so you have to cut them out...quite a pain.

schoolcormorant
04-08-2007, 00:24
you have to rub the sprue on sandpaper, then the sprue falls away leaving the icons :)

SC

sir.spamalot
04-08-2007, 16:01
whoah, is that for real SC, thats totally far out..it's like star trek or something.:eek:

Vesica
15-08-2007, 17:07
Hey LotE you are amazing. I voted 5 on this just for the sweet GKs, then i saw you had a Thunderhawk and nearly fainted.

good luck with you painting.

Astador
15-08-2007, 18:16
LotE Where are you mate! Lets see some more pics! Make me paint my GK!

Light of the Emperor
15-08-2007, 20:20
Haha, I'm trying to get motivated myself!

First, I need to finish one more exchange mini. I then have two weeks before I go back to college so I'm gonna try to make the most of it and start the thunderhawk.
I might finish up a teleport squad too. Oh, and a dread is already half way complete...

This army is a more long term force that will get built up over time.

Astador
15-08-2007, 20:32
Haha well you should be motivated! Read Fulgrim that might get you going!

I can't wait to see more of your GK mate! And I can't wait to beat you in Baltimore!

Light of the Emperor
15-08-2007, 20:44
Fulgrim is next!

But Baltimore is sold out...before I even knew they released tickets. Hell, since when do they release them at the beginning of the year? I always thought they came out 3 months in advance which is what I waited for...

So now I'm on the waiting list and looking for a spare ticket.
Really mad at myself for it...

Astador
15-08-2007, 20:56
Really? Well then I suppose I'll have to drag you down south to play you! :D

hallowed_are_the_ori
16-08-2007, 01:40
Light of the Emperor, paint more Grey Knights!
I love how you did yours.

I decided on mine, Foundation Adeptus Battlgrey as the base coat,with bright grey highlights with battle damage (mithril silver flickers and what not) and yeah.
Hopefully i'll have a test knight done for you to approve or disaprove on.

Light of the Emperor
23-08-2007, 22:09
"Once more I laid eyes upon a bare craft. No colors, no elegant lines, only brutally manufactured steel that carries upon it the hopes of the Imperium just as its predecessor did in our darkest hour a seemingly long time ago."

-Grand Master Nathaniel Garro at the sanctification of the Eisenstein's hull. M31.

The insides are all painted up. Now I need to put the main hull together and get started.
Thanks to Spikyjames for showing me his thunderhawk log which I know have under my favorites for quick reference.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3911.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3910.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3909.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3908.jpg

Light of the Emperor
23-08-2007, 22:11
A few more:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3907.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3906.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_3905.jpg

colmarekblack
23-08-2007, 22:32
:eek: love the detail. So much care and attention has gone into that interior.

Can't wait for the finished hull.

KayvaanShrike
23-08-2007, 23:18
Do you get clear plastic with it for the canopy? If not you could use the clear plastic from a blister pack and stick it on the inside to make the windows.

Its looking good, much have taken you ages to paint all those lights etc

heldane
24-08-2007, 00:34
Loving the 'Hawk LotE. What are you going to be doing for pilots?

I've read the Grey Knight novels, and if memory serves, they're piloted by mind scrubbed serfs/servitors.

Will you be converting serfs to pilot them, converting G'Knights, or using the standard crew?

Cheers

Dan

Light of the Emperor
24-08-2007, 00:54
Thanks!

It's a shame most of the detail can't really be seen. The top has to be glued down in order to support the back wings and because the rear covers both the bottom and top pieces. I'll leave the front door open so you can see the inside...and so I can position my mp3 player.

I think it did come with clear plastic, but the canopy doesn't have any flat surface area on which I can place the individual windows.

I just finished gluing all the inside parts together so I'll start on the main fuselage soon. In fact, wings and heavy bolters will be primed tomorrow.

As for the drivers, heldane's got it. I'll be getting a servitor (the one holding the melta on the Throne of Judgement) and linking him with wires to the main console.

Astador
24-08-2007, 01:10
Great work so far mate! Keep it up!

hallowed_are_the_ori
24-08-2007, 01:40
Ok i just creamed my pants...

THAT IS AWESOME

zeek jr.
24-08-2007, 02:56
those models are orgasmic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

i love the grey knight termies on the first page they are wicked

MF3000
24-08-2007, 05:19
What can I say, other than... ZOMFG!!!

Brilliant stuff mate

sj

jasevx
24-08-2007, 10:09
Amzing paint work!

Apologist
24-08-2007, 11:37
Lookin' spiffy cool and I'm looking forward to the Thunderhawk pilot. Can I suggest you take a look at Inquisitor Lok's tech-servitor from Forgeworld? He'd make a very fitting Thunderhawk servitor, and already has =][= markings.

roadrippers
01-09-2007, 20:56
ahh i love it grey knight terminators are my favorite n you've done a really really good paint job on them well done :P

Light of the Emperor
10-09-2007, 18:27
Work on the thunderhawk continues:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_4011.jpg

All the major parts are painted. They'll be inked/black washed all together so the color remains consistent. Work now begins on the small stuff such as the landing gear and heavy bolters. Then its all details from there.
I also picked up a flying stand equivalent which will allow me to mount the t-hawk in the air or on the ground.

I picked up the last two PA psycannon marines so another 6 man squad will be in the works soon.

sir.spamalot
10-09-2007, 18:57
nice T-hawk, looking really good. the highlighting on the seats is a little much for me, but it's cool.

cheers

Vesica
10-09-2007, 19:05
Anything new to report? sweet looking Thawk (hoping to buy one myself)

(woo i got 200th post)

Lord Zso Sahaal
10-09-2007, 20:56
All looks realy impressive, cant wait to see the finished thunderhawk!

deathwing_marine
10-09-2007, 21:48
Nice!! I want to see it finished.

Dude, come down to Concord on Saturday for a tournament! I should be able to get work off

hallowed_are_the_ori
11-09-2007, 00:42
Wow, your painting area is very organised. Mine isn't, just crap thrown everywhere and static grass on the floor and bits stuck to the table.

deathwing_marine
12-09-2007, 01:55
nevermind, its on the 29th now

pm me if you want

Light of the Emperor
14-09-2007, 23:21
Major parts are attached....and what a battle that was. Everything I had test fit to begin with now didn't fit. After more cutting, drilling and a whole bottle of glue, I've gotten this far. I'm really worried that the boltgun spray color and the boltgun paint itself won't match up when I dullcoat. If they don't there will be blotches and problem areas everywhere.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_4029.jpg

In the grand scheme of things, had I known the hawk was as much trouble as it is, I would never have bought it. Yes it looks cool, but mine had so many issues its rediculous. The wings drove me crazy. Not only did my thumbs get sliced open three times, the whole set up wouldn't allign. I had to drill deeper into the chassis to get the wings to connect to each other.
One piece of good news, I did drill a hole in the bottom so it can be screwed on to a flight stand. At least one thing went right.

Astador
14-09-2007, 23:23
Awesome man! I am still trying to get money but right now my wallet is empty! :(

Mortare
16-09-2007, 21:53
That thunderhawk looks very pretty, look forward to seeing it at the end of completion, and by the sounds of it so are you. Chin up, its all worth the effort when you get to sit back and look at it

Light of the Emperor
20-09-2007, 01:06
The Eisenstein takes flight!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_4042.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_4045.jpg

The base is done. Basically took a foot long plumbing tube that had both ends threaded and sunk one side into the board and the other into the chassis where I anchored a nut.

The hawk itself gets a full chassis ink wash tomorrow to bring out all the details. Then its on to some details such as the pilot, purity seals, banners and heraldy shields.

I was thinking of running a black line down the sides of the hull. See the front wings? Right behind them all the way to the end of the hawk. It helps break up the grey and could represent the shame the Eisenstein GK have of their Legions betraying the Emperor.

I kept most of the inquisition details off for two reasons. The real Eisenstein wasn't a pretty ship but it had the heart to survive the mission. Garro would probably like his transport to be the same. Also, I figure the newly formed GK wouldn't automatically have insignia everywhere. Inquisition symbols wouldn't be present yet either I'd imagine.

hallowed_are_the_ori
20-09-2007, 01:30
Wow, that looks awesome! Wish i had your skills!

Rogue 7
20-09-2007, 04:47
awesome. All I can say. Awesome.

bdo
20-09-2007, 04:50
i want a thunderhawk, too :)

and while that still needs to happen, i take a look at yours and am impressed.

Mortare
21-09-2007, 21:32
When you say add banners, what do you have in mind? Cant see a craft designed for orbital insertions and fast speeds having pennants and the likes draped from it. Really like the work with the base tho, and still jealous when I see pics of your gaming room. Whilst I have plenty to keep me occupied, its really gratifying to see it laid out in a room like that. Nice

Light of the Emperor
21-09-2007, 21:54
Thanks!

By banner I mean the parchments on the front of the fuselage where the name of the craft would be written. I'm making a longer one to go under the front canopy since "Eisenstein" is a little long for the ones on the side.

Mortare
21-09-2007, 22:02
What about doing it as a plaque, like the sort from the original ship. A lot of aircraft have a plaque somewhere with its construction or in service date, go with the utalitarian theme

only joking...
21-09-2007, 22:23
Holy (how appropriate:p) crap that is cool.
Wish i had the money to buy one!:(

Reinn
22-09-2007, 22:40
You know the Eisenstein was obliterated when they were found by Dorn right?

Astador
22-09-2007, 22:59
Great job mate! Can't wait to see more! I started the Dreadnought! Take a look in my log!

Luthien
25-09-2007, 16:12
The hawk is teh R0xxoR :D

CaptainSenioris
25-09-2007, 16:21
Nice, that's quite a base you've made there. I caught the begining of this log ages back now I'm gonna see what I've missed.

beynesairforce
26-09-2007, 12:20
wooooooo a flying hawk.... amazing

Sorry for my poor english but i'm french.

I'd a T hawk to build ( GK one's :):) ) and i was very interesting in your flying base. Can you provide me a lot of photo regarding the base, the tube section (connection with base and also with the Thawk) and the Thawk's belly ?

What's the sizing of your base? wich compoment did you use for build it?
how did you block the tube inside the base? and inside the T hawk??

Thank in advance

Light of the Emperor
26-09-2007, 23:18
Here we go:

First thing you need is a 3/4 inch diameter copper tube with threaded ends on both sides. The length of the tube is about 12 inches.
I bought mine at the Home Depot hardware store for 9 dollars. It also came with two nuts for the threaded end. You might need to buy them individually.

Here's the nut and the size next to a slotta base:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_4057.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_4059.jpg

You only need one of the nuts. Figure out where the hawk's center of balance is and drill a hole just wide enough to fit the threaded end through. On the inside I had a setup similar to this:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_4060.jpg

I glued the nut down and placed balsa beams up against the sides to the wall as a brace. This prevents the nut from breaking loose when you twist the t-hawk onto its base. I then covered it in hot glue, super glue, etc to make sure it won't move. You can't see it from the inside anyways.

I also recommend putting a 3/4 inch washer on the threaded end and then the hawk ontop of that. The washer helps distribute the weight a bit.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_4061.jpg

Light of the Emperor
26-09-2007, 23:23
The base itself is a 16 inch long oval wood plaque. You can find this at your local craft store. Simply drill a hole in the center slightly smaller than the threaded end. Screw the threaded end into the base.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_4055.jpg

Because of the wider piece at the end of my pipe, I put polystyrene around to hide it. You might not have to worry about it. Once the pipe is screwed in, throw on some hotglue and/or superglue for good measure.
All you have to do then is base and paint!

You are pretty much set!
Take the hawk and carefully screw it onto the top threaded end. Make sure to hold the the pipe and apply even pressure straight down.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_4054-1.jpg

Hope that helps!

Marsekay
27-09-2007, 00:11
Superb work sir, i HAVE to get one of these for my Fists, i reckon it would look snazzy in yellow!

i like the interior work, a shame the top cant come off!

CaptainSenioris
27-09-2007, 08:48
It does looky snazzy in yellow, I got one for A.I. just to see and it looks great.

Is there a hole for the pipe to screw onto already on the TH?
[Edit: I answered this myself by reading that last page where you say to anchored a nut into the hull.]

Have you seen the Grey Knight TH in the A.I. rulebook? It has a Heraldry style stripe across the nose?

beynesairforce
27-09-2007, 08:56
For the 3/4 inch washer, where did you put it ? i don't understand this part.

I other point i took with intereste is the main wings section of the Thawk.
did you make some girder for the wing ?

Thank for your small tutorial & good work on your Thawk

spikyjames
27-09-2007, 09:14
Great work on the THawk, i may see if i can try and mount mine at some point(unless i manage to sell it)

looking forward to seeing the end result.

cheers

james

jasevx
27-09-2007, 12:41
One of my biggest worries about the large flying models, great to see the stand well worked out.

Light of the Emperor
27-09-2007, 14:55
Thanks guys.

The washer gets placed over the top threaded part and then screw the hawk in. It just gives the model some more support.

I added nothing to the wings. Make sure to test fit everything...there were a lot of issues I ran into with the wings.

Good luck on the hawk Spikey.

Grazzy
05-10-2007, 17:16
Cool hawk. I love your knights - kep the good work up!!

alexh
17-10-2007, 10:09
I just read this from start to finish and all I can say is FANTASTIC!!! Any updates?

Dralafi
17-10-2007, 18:41
Thats just outstanding. I've gotto see the end of this project.

ZAChos
17-10-2007, 19:51
I like to subscribe to threads with awesome models.

*subscribes*

floyd pinkerton
17-10-2007, 19:56
oomph, sexy stuff all round man:D

Faolan
27-10-2007, 13:49
I couldn't see if you ended up doing the "glass" or not.

If you didn't (and I wouldn't blame you with the poor layout in there, obviously not your fault), someone (and I think it's Testors, altho it could be Squadron) makes a nice clear "window glue" that you slowly build up around the edges for window panes, etc.

nazrag
13-11-2007, 10:49
now that is cool :eek:

I <3 W
07-01-2008, 18:26
hey my dad and I are planning to scratch a thunderhawk (in the far future of course, but I have drawn up many pages of plans on the computer), but we plan to use these thick, see through (the glossy kind) and possibly polystyrene rods to base ours (they come in many thicknesses). I discovered them because my grandpa and I were turning them with his lathe when I was making a new barrel for my baneblade. I'm pretty sure that plastistruct sells a very similar one. I just think that see through rods would look better on a flyer.

And by the way. Really nice job....and wallet. I wish I could afford to buy an actual FW thunderhawk. keep 'em comin'!

brambleten
12-01-2008, 18:47
nice GKs and Thunder Hawk. now all you need is a warlord or imperator to go with them

tagsta
12-01-2008, 21:35
thanks for the tutorial on the TH's flightstand! I'll dig tht idea =)

swifty2
25-06-2008, 21:56
Awesome log mate, really cool stuff, models look great and I love the background you're using.

Orinoco
16-07-2008, 09:25
I don't understand your base tutorial. how did you attach the nut to the thunderhawk? i need more detail with this step.