PDA

View Full Version : Empire Witch Hunter Army

Screaming Evil
11-05-2007, 22:32
Alright, i just ran this up quickly. This is the Empire army i'm building for the Nemesis Crown. Fluffwise my Arch Lector is seeking the crown to destroy its blasphamus magics and influence. Joining him on his quest is a nice collection of personal guards, over enthusiastic peasents and the general zealous nutters. So heres the list:

Arch Lector Kurtz Von Schreiber
Equipment: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Warhorse, Hammer of
Justice, Holy Relic, Doomfire Ring
250pts

Warrior Priest Thomas Esmer
Equipment: Great Weapon, Armour of Meteoric Iron, Ring of Volans
139pts

Battle Wizard Maximilion
Equipment: Hand Weapon, Level 2, Power Stone, Luckstone
145pts

Captain Damon Von Schreiber
Equipment: Hand Weapon, Full Plate Armour, Battle Standard, Griffon Standard
138pts

20 Flagellants
200pts

20 Swordsmen with Full Command
Equipment: Hand Weapon, Light armour, Shield

Detachment: 10 Free Company
210pts

20 Spearmen with Full Command
Equipment: Spear, Hand Weapon, Light armour, Shield

190pts

20 Greatswords with Full Command
Equipment: Great Weapon, Hand Weapon, Full Plate Armour

Detachment: 10 Crossbowmen
360pts

5 Pistoliers with Musician
Equipment: Brace of Pistols, Light Armour
97pts

20 Flagellants
200pts

Total: 1929

This is my first Empire attempt at an empire army, and like i said i ran it up quickly based on the theme. I still have ~70pts left to spend too, so any suggestions for those and/or changes to the list would be very welcome.

So, what do you think?

KingGato
11-05-2007, 22:41
Wow, talk about a lot of infantry blocks. You might want to consider maybe knocking off a block to field your others in groups of 25; empire infantry like any other is much more effective with a full +3 rank bonus, and as is such it helps to have a bit of a buffer.

A 115 point unit of 5 Vanilla Knights would give you a lot of added flexibilty. Two would do you even better, if you could find a place for them.

The Luckstone is only really worthwhile for a lvl 4 wizard, in my opinion. You might be better served replacing the two stones with a Rod of Power. The Ring of Volans is also just a mite too unreliable to be all that worthwhile. It certainly can be, but I would see if you can't fit in that/those Nilla Knight unit(s) with before spending points on a luxery like the Ring.

Commodus Leitdorf
12-05-2007, 14:00
Take those extra point and make you swordmen and spearmen blocks bigger, atleast 25 should do you well.

The Ring of Volans is also something I wouldn't take. I understand how your tryin to bleed out as many DD with all those bound items but its a one shot use thing. I personally wouldn't spend the points on it but whatever floats your boat.

-Commodus

C-Coen
12-05-2007, 16:31
[Fluff mode]A Witch Hunter Army is a fantastic theme.
But please drop the wizard then. I know how usefull wizards are, but Witch Hunters hate magic. Really.[/Fluff mode]

Atrahasis
12-05-2007, 20:54
Witch Hunters do not hate magic. They hate unauthorised, unregulated magic use. Wizards who have trained in an Imperial College of Magic, founded by a Champion of Sigmar, do not qualify for their hatred.

Mistrust perhaps, but not hatred.

C-Coen
13-05-2007, 09:33
They see the Elves of Ulthuan as a very evil race, because they control the Winds of Magic very good. The 'Wind of Magic' is pure Chaos Energy. So because they hate Chaos...
I thought it was in the Witch Hunter novel, where Mathias finds old Elven ruins.
I'll look for it in the Witch Hunters handbook.
Found something:
...Having brought the heresy of magic into the world, they crept, wounded and shamed fromt the lands we now ihabit, leaving behind them a festering scar that can never be healed. Then dawned the era of Sigmar, and man. For centuries, we kept the Empire free from magic use and witchery.. ..Sorcery in all its forms lay crushed beheath the iron heel of our wrath. These were golden years.. ..In 2301 the rot began.. ..Magnus of Nuln, consumed with despair and arrogance; agreed to sign an unholy pact with the decadent ancient race that dwelled across the sea. He indulged the perverse whims of their conjuror, Teclis, who filled his mind with falsehoods.. Rather than punish those who were slaves to the eddying winds of Chaos.. ..After the Great War had ended, all right thinking souls prayed htat the madness would end.. ..Magnus obeyed Teclis's command that he should found 8 Colleges of Magic.. ..To this day they move umimpeded through the corridors of power.. ..but our agents are locked in a deadly and secret duel at the very highest levels of office..

..Strange curses and enchantments still linger in certain places.. Slight Folk.. ..Such spells are of course tied to the Ruinous Powers - as with aany other form of magic -...
I'll stop. I think I'm clear now. ;)

Screaming Evil
14-05-2007, 07:59
Alright i'll remove the wizard, any suggestions as to what to use the points on? Another Captain? Or should i add some more troops into the list?

I'll (hopefully) update the list tonight.

C-Coen
14-05-2007, 15:44
Maybe a captain armed as a Witch Hunter?
Pistol, maybe a magic sword as a real duelling sword..
(I don't have the armybook, so I don't know their rules very well)

KingGato
15-05-2007, 06:53
Just for the record, a book having a witch hunter, or even a group of witch hunters, loathe all magic and all magic users doesn't mean they won't work with wizards. To provide my own quote:

"Indeed, witch hunters often recruit warbands of warriors, priests and Wizards to accompany them in their travails, for the prey of a witch hunter is fought not only in the land of the physical, but also in the realms of the spiritual and magical."

- The Empire Army Book, Current Edition.

Even if there IS some big secret fight behind the scenes between some in the know witch hunters and all things magical, it isn't as if there is some big witch hunter elk's club that has monthly meetings about what they are all going to do. They aren't exactly an organized fighting squad.

In short, yes, if you don't want to use a wizard in your witch hunters themed army then don't. because you could always say that your witch hunter character hates all magic. But don't let someone tell you you can't have one because it isn't in flavor when it clearly can be. And usually is.

C-Coen
15-05-2007, 15:06
As said I don't own the Empire Armybook.
The sources I used were The Witch Hunters Handbook and the Witch Hunter novel. The guys at GW sometimes forget their own background sometimes, as do the Black Library writers. So what's 'real' (as far as you can talk about real in a fictional world ;) ).. we maybe will never know.

But whatever Screaming Evil will believe, I still would suggest a Witch Hunter-like character. It's them where the army is about.
I would also take some knights. Where should you place your Arch Lector now?