PDA

View Full Version : Challenges on charge

Falcon
12-05-2007, 07:25
Hi,

Is it possible to issue a challenge to a unit charging you? (From what I've read in the rulebook, 6th edition I admit, it sounds allowable.)

Thinking about it though it does seem open to exploytation. Say I have a Treeman Ancient with Anoyance of Netlings right in front of my opponent's 700+ pt grail knight unit (counting his general, damsel and BSB as well) If he charges me I challenge him to a duel, eliminating 12+ S6 attacks.

If he does not charge me I charge him, probably still challenging him :angel: and taking the whole unit out of play for a couple of rounds at the least.

Probably not very nice of me, but one can argue a unit like that, especially with a banner that negates rank, calls for desparate measures ;)

Griefbringer
12-05-2007, 07:42
Is it possible to issue a challenge to a unit charging you?

Yes. There is no exception given for the rules on challenges regarding that.

However, bear in mind that the Bretonnians can still refuse the challenge (though that means losing the blessing).

Falcon
12-05-2007, 07:55
With the grail knights that's the beauty of it! Any Grail can accept a challenge! :evilgrin:
Even if the general and BSB refuse the challenge and hide (already totally out of character) someone will have to fight me!

Can you imagine those 2 hero's and 5 grail knights cowering behind the damsel?! :wtf: :D Any selfrespecting Brett General will die on the spot from the shame! :D

GranFarfar
12-05-2007, 08:32
With the grail knights that's the beauty of it! Any Grail can accept a challenge! :evilgrin:
Even if the general and BSB refuse the challenge and hide (already totally out of character) someone will have to fight me!

Can you imagine those 2 hero's and 5 grail knights cowering behind the damsel?! :wtf: :D Any selfrespecting Brett General will die on the spot from the shame! :D

Just to clarify - if he refuse the challange, one model will be retired and not allowed to fight, by your choice - not everyone able to accept or decline a challange.
If he decline, I would guess you retire the lord, thus the bsb and the rest of the Grail Knights will be allowed to fight.

Griefbringer
12-05-2007, 08:53
As GranFarfar says, only one model will be retired to the rear ranks (and there will be a normal rank and file model placed in the front rank instead).

Now, imagine what happens if a unit consisting of only grail knights refuses a challenge!

Falcon
12-05-2007, 12:44
But can't I continue callenging characters untill someone fights me :angel:
("Step up you cowarly knights! Is there no-one in the unit brave enough for 1 on 1! Where are you honour!") :D

Mouchliazo
12-05-2007, 12:46
Um, no. You only issue one challenge, that the other player may answer with any character he wants. You don't issue specific challenges, nor more than one if the first one is refused.

T10
12-05-2007, 14:23
Probably not very nice of me, but one can argue a unit like that, especially with a banner that negates rank, calls for desparate measures ;)

Wood Elves losing their "rank bouns". Ha ha!

I'd love to see a Wood Elf army with a rank bonus in the first place.

-T10

Atrahasis
12-05-2007, 14:43
Wood Elves losing their "rank bouns". Ha ha!

I'd love to see a Wood Elf army with a rank bonus in the first place.It might prove very useful for taking out those pesky Glade Guard Archers perched on hills!

Falcon
12-05-2007, 16:18
Yea, you're right, T10, except for the eternal guard we're a bit thin in the rank bonus departement. (Does treekin get rank bonus? I'm not sure :-)

Jonke
12-05-2007, 16:29
(Does treekin get rank bonus? I'm not sure :-)

Of course they do, but a unit with one rank would cost 650 points. Actually a friend of mine has an army consisting of one block of 20 minotaurs inc. a doombull, a giant, 2 beastherds, bsb with Banner of the Gods, spawn and 5 furies. Surprisingly effective.

Peace!

Falkman
12-05-2007, 16:49
Um, no. You only issue one challenge, that the other player may answer with any character he wants. You don't issue specific challenges, nor more than one if the first one is refused.
If you do win a challenge by slaying your opponent, you're free to call for a new one though.

Jonke
12-05-2007, 17:53
If you do win a challenge by slaying your opponent, you're free to call for a new one though.

And you can't have more than one challenge going at a time in each combat.

Falcon
13-05-2007, 06:28

Interesting! I did not know this.:)

Falkman
13-05-2007, 06:40
Interesting! I did not know this.:)
You have to wait for the next close combat phase though ;)
You can't slay one guy, then challenge another one in the same turn.

lparigi34
13-05-2007, 14:59
Is the retired character retired for just one turn or is he retired for the rest of that specific combat? never been sure about this.

GranFarfar
13-05-2007, 15:10
Is the retired character retired for just one turn or is he retired for the rest of that specific combat? never been sure about this.

For one combat phase, then he returns to the front rank. Maby just to decline yet another challange.

lparigi34
13-05-2007, 15:23
Ok, thanks a lot, I've been dubious on this one for a while.

Festus, you are right. Yep... sorry for this, can't explain how I missed it... (see post right below this one)

Festus
13-05-2007, 16:35
Hi

Ok, thanks a lot, I've been dubious on this one for a while.
But it is very explicitly written in the BRB, p.77, left column, seceond paragraph of *Declining a Challenge*, last but one sentence...

Festus

alextroy
14-05-2007, 04:20
Thinking about it though it does seem open to exploytation. Say I have a Treeman Ancient with Anoyance of Netlings right in front of my opponent's 700+ pt grail knight unit (counting his general, damsel and BSB as well) If he charges me I challenge him to a duel, eliminating 12+ S6 attacks.

This is one of those exploits allowed for lone characters in the rules. The ability to attack a unit of models alone and challenge to avoid fighting the whole unit. The Treeman Ancient with Anoyance of Netlings is just the ultimate setup for the general exploit. Not only does one character or champion have to fight me alone, but they need 6's to hit and I'm Toughness 6, AS 3+, Forest Spirit Ward 5+.

T10
14-05-2007, 07:02
But unfortunately negated if the enemy declines the challenge. Oh, well.

-T10

DeathlessDraich
14-05-2007, 08:26
(and there will be a normal rank and file model placed in the front rank instead).

Quick Quiz question: Can this model engage in combat as normal? - took me half an hour to resolve this last week. ;)

Highborn
14-05-2007, 08:47
Quick Quiz answer: Yes.

Festus
14-05-2007, 08:55
We have a Winner!

Festus

DeathlessDraich
14-05-2007, 08:57
Too quick! Shouldn't a reason be required as well?

DeathlessDraich
14-05-2007, 09:00
BTW - there is a thread in Fantasy background which is a Quiz.
If there is sufficient support, I would like to start a similar thread which is a rules quiz.

Masque
14-05-2007, 09:03
BRB, Page 32, Which Models Fight?

'Models can fight if they are in base contact when it is their chance to attack...'

DeathlessDraich
14-05-2007, 09:06
What? less than 2 minutes, took me much more than that with players diverting my attention with all sorts of irrelevant rules.

What about my quiz idea? I need at least a few 'Ayes'

Sincere apologies, Falcon for digressing from the thread topic.

Festus
14-05-2007, 09:16
Hi

What about my quiz idea? I need at least a few 'Ayes'
Quiz Question: Am I allowed to participate? :D

Festus

Gorbad Ironclaw
14-05-2007, 09:37
A rules quiz might be fun :)

DeathlessDraich
14-05-2007, 09:39
All are welcome to answer and question.