PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Help

KAELZ
12-05-2007, 15:40
After getting back into 40k since 2nd ed and doing very well (like 17-1) Im breaking out my old fantasy army of dwarfs (the only one I still have) I threw away my anvil of doom and also my thorgrim on throne and even 5 gyrocopters and 4 organ guns...sigh but I did keep 160ish metal very well painted (I didnt paint them) figures and 2 unpainted cannons...so I do have a ton of stuff for the army....im planning on converting 2 guys to hold a shield and so I can put my general up on a shield (seems worth it points wise) and am debating about what rare units to get and whether the anvil is good or not...anyone have some good dwarf advice, specific stuff on units and/or strats or even a solid 2000 point list? (assuming 2000 is still the standard)

Thanks in advance for help...

I used to run a gunline of crossbowman and thunderers backed up with some solid units in the middle and a ton of artillery and 2 gyrocopters on a flanking route to take out opposing artillery and litterally just fire and not move...doubt its a good strat these days (40k has changed alot)....dunno if it works well or not in fantasy....

Franc
12-05-2007, 20:35
I used to run a gunline of crossbowman and thunderers backed up with some solid units in the middle and a ton of artillery and 2 gyrocopters on a flanking route to take out opposing artillery and litterally just fire and not move...doubt its a good strat these days (40k has changed alot)....dunno if it works well or not in fantasy....

Actually, Dwarfs got new Army Book that made them even stronger. I don't know if you have it, but there's a lot of stuff in there that will make you cry happy tears. Stuff like Thunderers have +1 to hit always, not just in short range, Thane has T5 and can carry 75 pts of magic items, etc...

Gorog Irongut
13-05-2007, 07:26
The anvil is excellent. So is a lord on shieldbearers.

Rares:
Gyro got buffed up and can actually be used in combat now. It's great for chasing down fleeing units in a combined combat.
Organ Gun is much nicer and is really the dwarfs only answer to skirmishers. It's powerful enough that people will often avoid the area it's in. It's also the cheapest of the rares.
Flame Cannon really didn't change much. Some people love them, some people hate them. Sometimes they will destroy your opponents army on the first turn (actually happened against O&G), sometimes they'll blow up on the first shot. Remember any wound caused makes the unit panic. This can be very powerful.

For further light and knowledge, I would recommend a visit to bugmans brewery. We're also getting all prepared for this summer's campaign. We decided that we were going to hire the Ogres to help us find the Crown.

sun tzu
13-05-2007, 08:00
Dwarf troops are as hard as they ever were.
Runes are mostly the same in effect
The choice between the crossbow and handgunners is a hard one now.
The static dwarf army is beatable now so watch out for the underhand tactics that will crack that gunline wide open

Prince Sairion
13-05-2007, 17:11
Times havent changed much etc etc.

I personally love gyrocopters but have tended to opt for the organic gun (a healthy choice) and the flame cannon since the new book came out.

Re-rolling the artillery dice for the organic is great (except if that re-roll happens to be a misfire) and the panic from the FG, combined with what a direct hit can do, are just far superior in my mind to the uses of the Gyro.

I've finally decided on a 2:1 ratio of grt wpn armed quarrellers to thunderers simply for the flank charges. Thunderers are great for large targets, xbows are great as they are hybrid.

Happy Dwarfing!!