PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Orcs?

Red_Lep
12-05-2007, 17:22
I was planning on doing an all Goblin army but all the painting is driving me up a wall so I think I'm going to add some Orcs for some better hitting and just for something else to paint. What are the strengths of the different kinds of Orcs? Any help appreciated:D

Bingo the Fun Monkey
12-05-2007, 20:46
The standard orc boy is cheap, tough, and 'ard hitting when armed with just a shield. With the new choppa rules I consider them to be at least as cost effective as Dwarf clansmen. Although they can beat most core infantry head on (and cavalry, except lances), they need to be used in conjunction with the rest of the army. They're not meant for holding flanks but a wide distribution of them is always a good idea.

Big uns are better, obviously (cuz they bigger), however the cost of the upgrade makes a fully ranked unit that much more expensive. Last edition I never left home without a unit of 19-24 big uns with spears and the banner of butchery. I don't take them anymore since the points could be better spent. However, a smaller unit of say 15 armed with two choppas can make for a hard hitting support unit used for counter charges on enemy flanks.

Savage Orcs are great, imo, and can make a pretty solid shock unit. Orcs and Gobbos, in my experience, struggle more against the undead than any other kind of army (except a RAF) and the SO's immunity to psychology can make them the most reliable unit you have. The great thing about SO's against undead is that most undead armies can't bait and flee, meaning that your savage orcs can get the job done better. This doesn't mean that they can't be baited into a trap, however, so you need to have some foresight and be extremely careful with their deployment.

SO Big Uns are pretty sexy and can hit *really* hard if taken in small support units. However, I've recently been trying a different use for these against bretonnians and that's arming them with spears and the banner of butchery. Yes, it's an expensive unit, but it's the one defensive unit we can make with "spiky death" written all over it. If they get charged, even if the front rank is wiped out, the back rank can still put out 15 WS4 S4 attacks (and if front rank is still in tact then it's 27 attacks + 4 from the boss). Of course it's also a huge points sink and SO's you'll need to use other elements (the gobbo elements) to hunt down war machines and provide a speed bump in front. (The speed bump is basically a sacrificial unit, like 20 naked night goblins 7 wide, that when charged will get decimated allowing the enemy to overrun into your SO's. Next turn, you should have units ready to pounce on the unit stuck in combat with the SO's).

Black Orcs are the 'ardest orcs out there. They also come in at a staggering 13 points. So for 2 points less than the price of 3 naked Orc Boyz, you get a Special unit with heavy armor, immunity to animosity, the option to take a magic banner, big 'un stats, +1 Ld and 'armed to the teef. IMO, this unit has to be used more carefully than any other to get the most out of them. They will tear any other infantry a new one in a head on fight, but struggle against cavalry. You should also ask yourself if you want to shell out another point for shields so that they can be better protected against missile fire and have the option to get a 3+ armor save in combat. I say shields aren't a good idea simply because you're paying for 2 choppas and a great weapon and you're going to want to use them; furthermore T4 and a 5+ armor save should be protection enough against missile troops (except hand gunners). Again you can protect them with goblin/orc meat shields. Blorcs are simply a relatively reliable uber infantry unit with M4. They're pretty decent, but they do take up a precious special slot.

Orc Boar Boyz: I've yet to use this unit in 7th ed, so any advice I gave would be theoryhammer. What I can advise is don't take them. As hard hitting as they could be, they don't have the WS to land the attacks, nor do they have the armor to survive the barrage of missiles coming their way.

Boar Boy Big Uns: Now I HAVE taken these twice and to good effect. I took 6 of the ladz+warboss with a frontage of 6 and gave them Gork's Waaagh Banner. I held them back (and behind terrain to protect them from warmachines) until the waaagh was called and used them to attack the flank of a unit of Chosen Knights 20" away in conjunction with a mob of orc boyz. Their points are prohibitive, but they can be used well.

SO Boar Boyz: these are great since mounts also benefit from their rider's frenzy. Use them carefully and they'll make you a happy camper.

SO BB BU's: never taken 'em, perhaps someone else can shed light upon them.

Red_Lep
12-05-2007, 21:16
The standard orc boy is cheap, tough, and 'ard hitting when armed with just a shield. With the new choppa rules I consider them to be at least as cost effective as Dwarf clansmen. Although they can beat most core infantry head on (and cavalry, except lances), they need to be used in conjunction with the rest of the army. They're not meant for holding flanks but a wide distribution of them is always a good idea.

Big uns are better, obviously (cuz they bigger), however the cost of the upgrade makes a fully ranked unit that much more expensive. Last edition I never left home without a unit of 19-24 big uns with spears and the banner of butchery. I don't take them anymore since the points could be better spent. However, a smaller unit of say 15 armed with two choppas can make for a hard hitting support unit used for counter charges on enemy flanks.

Savage Orcs are great, imo, and can make a pretty solid shock unit. Orcs and Gobbos, in my experience, struggle more against the undead than any other kind of army (except a RAF) and the SO's immunity to psychology can make them the most reliable unit you have. The great thing about SO's against undead is that most undead armies can't bait and flee, meaning that your savage orcs can get the job done better. This doesn't mean that they can't be baited into a trap, however, so you need to have some foresight and be extremely careful with their deployment.

SO Big Uns are pretty sexy and can hit *really* hard if taken in small support units. However, I've recently been trying a different use for these against bretonnians and that's arming them with spears and the banner of butchery. Yes, it's an expensive unit, but it's the one defensive unit we can make with "spiky death" written all over it. If they get charged, even if the front rank is wiped out, the back rank can still put out 15 WS4 S4 attacks (and if front rank is still in tact then it's 27 attacks + 4 from the boss). Of course it's also a huge points sink and SO's you'll need to use other elements (the gobbo elements) to hunt down war machines and provide a speed bump in front. (The speed bump is basically a sacrificial unit, like 20 naked night goblins 7 wide, that when charged will get decimated allowing the enemy to overrun into your SO's. Next turn, you should have units ready to pounce on the unit stuck in combat with the SO's).

Black Orcs are the 'ardest orcs out there. They also come in at a staggering 13 points. So for 2 points less than the price of 3 naked Orc Boyz, you get a Special unit with heavy armor, immunity to animosity, the option to take a magic banner, big 'un stats, +1 Ld and 'armed to the teef. IMO, this unit has to be used more carefully than any other to get the most out of them. They will tear any other infantry a new one in a head on fight, but struggle against cavalry. You should also ask yourself if you want to shell out another point for shields so that they can be better protected against missile fire and have the option to get a 3+ armor save in combat. I say shields aren't a good idea simply because you're paying for 2 choppas and a great weapon and you're going to want to use them; furthermore T4 and a 5+ armor save should be protection enough against missile troops (except hand gunners). Again you can protect them with goblin/orc meat shields. Blorcs are simply a relatively reliable uber infantry unit with M4. They're pretty decent, but they do take up a precious special slot.

Orc Boar Boyz: I've yet to use this unit in 7th ed, so any advice I gave would be theoryhammer. What I can advise is don't take them. As hard hitting as they could be, they don't have the WS to land the attacks, nor do they have the armor to survive the barrage of missiles coming their way.

Boar Boy Big Uns: Now I HAVE taken these twice and to good effect. I took 6 of the ladz+warboss with a frontage of 6 and gave them Gork's Waaagh Banner. I held them back (and behind terrain to protect them from warmachines) until the waaagh was called and used them to attack the flank of a unit of Chosen Knights 20" away in conjunction with a mob of orc boyz. Their points are prohibitive, but they can be used well.

SO Boar Boyz: these are great since mounts also benefit from their rider's frenzy. Use them carefully and they'll make you a happy camper.

SO BB BU's: never taken 'em, perhaps someone else can shed light upon them.

Wow, thanks alot. I've been debating on putting in some Savage Orcs but now I think I will for sure. Thanks:D

Franco
12-05-2007, 21:41
Well i can't say as much as that, but i can give you some advise!!!

A chariot is very useful. I don't know if you have a goblin one but an orc one is great. Charge into a flank of a medium/good unit and it will kill more than expected. Followed by a unit of 20 orcs (which i advise aswell) would cause the unit to flee, catch it up with the chariot and a medium/good unit gone in two turns (not first two but you get my point).

Savage orcs are great, 20 will cause trouble, but keep them out of the way of artilary and warmachines. I dont think it is worth upgrading to big 'uns because its a waste of space.

Trolls are good, i have 3 stone trolls and cause trouble on the field. I use them mainly to help out with struggling combats. They work in the same way as Carrick does for Man Utd (only example i could think of). They stand at the back of the field coming into the middle. They are out of the way of fire, and the enemy doesn't usually bomb them with warmachines because he thinks they are under control. When there is a struggling unit, they are there to help out or if there is an enemy unit ready to charge in the flank of my SO or Orcs, then it will jump in before their turn. This only works if you read the oppositions movements.

Giants are ok but i would use an extra unit of orcs instead.

Crazy Harborc
12-05-2007, 22:05
Extra units are a good idea. Being able to have a different roster game to game will prevent opponents building a roster to combat your known in advance roster. Keep them guessing AND variety can be the spice of wargaming as well as life.;)

Black Orc units can be very hard to knock out. BUT Black Orc heros placed in small regular units (to quell/prevent a 1 animosity result) can ruin small units because of the D6 hits it causes. Work okay in bigger units of regular boys, say 25/30 orcs. Over all....I say keep the BO heros in BO units. A army general is another story for another day.;)