PDA

View Full Version : A number of random questions

Arnizipal
13-05-2007, 00:20
1.) When flaggelants use their 'The end is nigh' ability (sacrifice models for bonusses) does this affect their rank bonus? The ruletext says the rule goes into effect 'before any blows are struck' which is rather vague IMO.

For example, a unit of 15 flaggelants (two full ranks) sacrifes three of their number. What is their rank bonus at the end of the combat? One or two?

2.) Where do you start measuring when casting incantations with a Liche priest operating the Casket of Souls. With regualr mages you measure from their base, but the Casket and its 'crew' are mounted on a scenic base. So do you measure from the base or from the model itself?

3.)Two units are in combat as follows ('c' being a character):

AAAAAAA
AAAAAAA
BBBBBCB
BBBBBBB

The 'B' unit is a unit of Orcs with an Orc Big Boss. The Big Boss has the Itty Ring, a bound spell that inflicts a S5 hit like a magic missile.
Since he is not in combat, can he use this item on an unengaged enemy unit?

4.)Three units are engaged as follows:

AAAAA
BBBAAAAA
BBBCCCC
BBB

Unit C is wiped out in the turn that unit B charges. Can B overrrun even though it is partially stuck behind unit A?

theunwantedbeing
13-05-2007, 00:52
1.Rank bonus is calculated at the start of combat,so it would be 2 I presume.....

2.You measure from the model,not the scenic base...I think.

3.No,he is still in combat.The unit allignment is unlikely as units must endeavour to bring as many models on both sides into base contact.

4.Yes unit B can overrun,but it stops as soon as it comes into contact with unit A.

Atrahasis
13-05-2007, 01:03
1.Rank bonus is calculated at the start of combat,so it would be 2 I presume.....That would be my way of handling it as well.

2.You measure from the model,not the scenic base...I think.Agreed. The Casket is treated like a war machine with crew, so any individual actions of the crew are measured from their own individual models.

3.No,he is still in combat.The unit allignment is unlikely as units must endeavour to bring as many models on both sides into base contact.
If the spell is a magic missile, then you are correct, he cannot cast. If it merely requires LOS then he has it and may cast.

4.Yes unit B can overrun,but it stops as soon as it comes into contact with unit A.Agreed.

Vattendroppe
13-05-2007, 09:35
1.) When flaggelants use their 'The end is nigh' ability (sacrifice models for bonusses) does this affect their rank bonus? The ruletext says the rule goes into effect 'before any blows are struck' which is rather vague IMO.

For example, a unit of 15 flaggelants (two full ranks) sacrifes three of their number. What is their rank bonus at the end of the combat? One or two?

I would play it two.

2.) Where do you start measuring when casting incantations with a Liche priest operating the Casket of Souls. With regualr mages you measure from their base, but the Casket and its 'crew' are mounted on a scenic base. So do you measure from the base or from the model itself?

Isn't that handeled in the army book? Saying that you measure from the model?

3.)Two units are in combat as follows ('c' being a character)...

...The 'B' unit is a unit of Orcs with an Orc Big Boss. The Big Boss has the Itty Ring, a bound spell that inflicts a S5 hit like a magic missile.
Since he is not in combat, can he use this item on an unengaged enemy unit?

That will seldom happen, since units are supposed to bring as many models as possible into combat.

4.)Three units are engaged as follows...

...Unit C is wiped out in the turn that unit B charges. Can B overrrun even though it is partially stuck behind unit A?

As spoken.

Arnizipal
13-05-2007, 10:57
Isn't that handeled in the army book? Saying that you measure from the model?

I don't know. I don't have the Tomb King armybook. I'm asking on behalf of a friend of mine.

That will seldom happen, since units are supposed to bring as many models as possible into combat.

I only just made the charge and didn't have any movement left to slide sideways.

Vattendroppe
13-05-2007, 17:30
I only just made the charge and didn't have any movement left to slide sideways.

If the charge is successfull you should always move as many models as possible into combat, no matter what move distance you have left.

Festus
13-05-2007, 17:47
Hi

If the charge is successfull you should always move as many models as possible into combat, no matter what move distance you have left.
Negative. You can only bring many models into contact if you have sufficient movement - and the rules do not allow you to slide, basically.

Festus

Vattendroppe
13-05-2007, 17:52
Hi

Negative. You can only bring many models into contact if you have sufficient movement - and the rules do not allow you to slide, basically.

Festus

Free wheeling?

Gorbad Ironclaw
13-05-2007, 17:55
Free wheeling?

Is not the same as sliding. And it only happens once you make contact, and only really allows you to make sure the units line up against each other, it does not make you go sideways or anything like that.

So if a charge like that was at the max of the charge range, free wheel would do nothing for that.

Vattendroppe
13-05-2007, 17:57
Is not the same as sliding. And it only happens once you make contact, and only really allows you to make sure the units line up against each other, it does not make you go sideways or anything like that.

So if a charge like that was at the max of the charge range, free wheel would do nothing for that.

Wouldn't it be allowed to wheel up against the unit, move forward until they touch eachothers corners, then rank up against eachother?

Atrahasis
13-05-2007, 18:03
Wouldn't it be allowed to wheel up against the unit, move forward until they touch eachothers corners, then rank up against eachother?

I don't know what you mean, but the free wheel to align is just that - a free wheel. No other type of movement is allowed once contact has been made.

Festus
13-05-2007, 18:05
Yes, free wheel to *align* after you made contact...

DeathlessDraich
13-05-2007, 18:10
Q2 - The Liche priest accompanying the Casket can move up to 1" away from it . Unfortunately the model provided by GW has the priest stuck to the large base.
Either
1) Use a model to show where the priest is, if he wanders between turns
Or
2) Specify a point on the Casket after every movement phase, to show where the priest is

I have placed the priest behind the back edge of a hill while the Casket is on the hill and then asked my opponent about LOS especially when both guards are slain, whereupon they gape in stupefaction!:D

A little conundrum.
What do you think?;)

huitzilopochtli
13-05-2007, 21:56

Don't you usually put characters into combat anyway? by just swapping models around?

oh i have a random question to add as well!
Salamanders in the lizzy armies... when they're shooting at ppl with their acid, do they have to roll against their ballistic skill to hit them?
and if not, why do they have a ballistic skill at all?

Atrahasis
13-05-2007, 22:15
Don't you usually put characters into combat anyway? by just swapping models around?Not until the character's next movement phase.

As for sallies, not they don't roll to hit, BS is just their to show they have some ballistic ability.