PDA

View Full Version : Charachter units

khorne666
13-05-2007, 15:55
I realise that this could only be possible in large points games but could you fill a unit with every charachter in your army, then let the unit die and the remaining charachters walk around as a unit? (I think this would be easiest to do with empire flagelants?)

skilett
13-05-2007, 16:25
Page 72 of the rulebook states that characters cannot join other characters to form units, so my guess is that as soon as the unit dies the characters would separate and work independently.

theunwantedbeing
13-05-2007, 16:32
I'de say once the unit has been destroyed the character is no longer part of that unit...so they would all separate.
Cant find where in the rulebook it states something along those lines though.....

It's entirely possible to have a group of character's joining a unit with no command and taking up all the front rank slots thereby protecting the unit from being attacked from frontal attacks.

Falkman
13-05-2007, 16:37
And you can't join a unit of flagellants.

Atrahasis
13-05-2007, 16:43
If you are Unbreakable you can.

T10
13-05-2007, 18:41
The rules fail to deal with this issue.

However:

When you come across a situation in a battle that is not covered fully by the rules, be prepared to interpret a rule or come up with a suitable house rule for yourselves.

I'd think it reasonable to assume that a unit reduced to only characters remains a unit until it is possible for the characters to leave the unit using the normal rules. If the characters would normally have the option of leaving the unit then it would be reasonable that they be required to do so.

I like this because it resolves the situation with a minimum of fuss: there's no problem with a player redistributing the unit as he sees fit when there are no other compulsions upon it.

-T10

Masque
13-05-2007, 18:55
I'd think it reasonable to assume that a unit reduced to only characters remains a unit until it is possible for the characters to leave the unit using the normal rules. If the characters would normally have the option of leaving the unit then it would be reasonable that they be required to do so.

I like this because it resolves the situation with a minimum of fuss: there's no problem with a player redistributing the unit as he sees fit when there are no other compulsions upon it.

I like this solution. I'd also apply it to a Tomb King or Prince in a chariot unit who loses his chariot or an Empire character who has joined a Flagellant unit through use of Unbending Righteousness that has been dispelled.

lparigi34
13-05-2007, 22:02
I like this solution. I'd also apply it to a Tomb King or Prince in a chariot unit who loses his chariot or an Empire character who has joined a Flagellant unit through use of Unbending Righteousness that has been dispelled.

Masque, thanks for bringing this out. can this really be done?

I've been thinking about it, but I'm not sure if it is allowed or only characters with the "unbreakable" rule in their profile can do it. It would be so nice if I can do it.

Atrahasis
13-05-2007, 22:53
As long as you have the Unbreakable rule you can do it.

It doesn't matter where you got the rule from, only that you are Unbreakable.

Jonke
14-05-2007, 00:04
Personally I wouldn't do it to avoid creating the situation of a breakable character in an unbreakable unit. Just to keep it simple. And if an opponent would do it, I'd ask him to give a satisfactory solution to the problems it may cause before allowing him to do so.

Peace!

T10
14-05-2007, 06:59
Well, now that you know of one possible way to resolve it, would you keep that information to yourself?

-T10

DeathlessDraich
14-05-2007, 08:14
Good solution T10, especially because it conforms with the rules.

Personally I would prefer mutual agreement or a dice roll in some situations e.g. the one below.

When the unit with many characters is reduced to just characters
And has to take a break test/crumble etc.

Would that be 1 break test or several? - a dice roll would be fair, I think.

Rabban
14-05-2007, 10:59
Good solution T10, especially because it conforms with the rules.

Personally I would prefer mutual agreement or a dice roll in some situations e.g. the one below.

When the unit with many characters is reduced to just characters
And has to take a break test/crumble etc.

Would that be 1 break test or several? - a dice roll would be fair, I think.

I'd probably make it one test, since they were a unit at the start of the phase. I would continue to treat them as a single unit until they had a chance to move apart (which I would then make them do). Although since there is no proper rule, if my opponent disagreed it would need to be a dice roll

Jonke
14-05-2007, 16:56
Well, now that you know of one possible way to resolve it, would you keep that information to yourself?

-T10

Maybe, maybe not. I just want to know if my opponent is aware of what he is doing and to talk it through with him/her.

Peace!