PDA

View Full Version : Imp Navy transporters - what do you prefer?

rev
13-05-2007, 18:42
Pure imp navy - i.e. the slow but agile valkaries and vutures?

Allied marines - i.e. the slow but hard hitting thunderhawks?

whats your preferance and why?!

rev

fattdex
13-05-2007, 23:49
I'm yet to fly my thunderhawk, but it's twice as fast as the valkyrie, whose speed 3 acted as a major hindrance in the traqnsport game I played with it!

mageboltrat
14-05-2007, 00:01
You have forgot the Arvus, cheap so it ups your planes in the air, giving you the chance to outnumber the enemy. Also I love the model

Slekith
14-05-2007, 01:34
I'm an old time DA player but I chose to collect pure Imperial Navy because of the model range. Thunderhawks and TH transporter are impressive airborne carriers but I prefer Valkyries instead. I felt in love with them reading the Taros Campaign.

Greblord
14-05-2007, 02:09
It's a question I've been pondering. I think it's going to be thunderhawks

Tyra_Nid
14-05-2007, 02:21
Valks have the advantage of being MUCH cheaper cashwise, but Ill admit that I want to get a Thunderhawk at some point. Although the price is prohibitive, considering ive already spent too much on this evil game recently.

I like the Very High maneuverability of Valks, but Thawks can pump out a lot of fire. Valks are quite slow too :\

okri_the_blue
14-05-2007, 02:43
i'd go with the valkaries, the big challeng with the transports is landing them, if you just have the 1 thrust and low manuverabitlity and you want to lose speed a thunderhawk stating at speed 6 and alt say 3 will take at least 6 turns of determind manuvering to land and it could take long again trying to get away with just one thrust gaining alt is tough and your speed will be low wether you a valkarie or a thunderhawk.

*/edit sorry the thunderhawk does have 2 thurust and is therefore the better transport, as it will be easer to land and can get out quirker(as it should for 24ptsbase) on reflection i'd go the thunderhawk or afew aquillers/*

rev
14-05-2007, 09:29
Its a tough one isnt it!

MBR - I think I deliberatly forgot the Arvus - the model is awful dude its a box with half wings!!

I'm leaning towards the valks personally, but undecided hence the post!

fattdex
14-05-2007, 09:31
if in doubt, get them all ;-)

Darnok
14-05-2007, 15:47
MBR - I think I deliberatly forgot the Arvus - the model is awful dude its a box with half wings!!

That's why we love it. ;)

It's called Nostalgia and reminds us old guys of the days when space ships looked like made of boxes (because they were made of boxes). :D

N0-1_H3r3
19-05-2007, 19:13
Its a tough one isnt it!

Of course it is. It's a light cargo shuttle. It's not meant to be flashy or sleek. It's a cargo container with engines. It does exactly what it's meant to...

CELS
20-05-2007, 00:29
It's called Nostalgia and reminds us old guys of the days when space ships looked like made of boxes (because they were made of boxes). :D
LoL! Indeed. I betcha a lot of newcomers to 40k are looking at Horus Heresy artwork, wondering why the artists drew such a silly looking skimmer tank with the shape of a shampoo bottle, not knowing that it's based on an actual 40k conversion from a shampoo bottle in the good old days.

Oh, and I vote for the Aquila, simply because it looks coolest. Now, why the hell haven't they released it yet? <shakes fist>

Myst
30-05-2007, 04:20
What urks me a little is how they give the Imperial Navy 3 transports. They then say 2 are not ACTUALLY combat transports at all and the 3rd one moves like a beached whale.

Pure IN, I prefer the Valks. Mostly because they are the only transport that is actually lorewise...an actual combat transport. I just wish they put an actual engine in it as a max speed of 3 is a joke. It is almost embrassing that a Marauder laden with several tons of bombs is nearly twice as fast...

Neferata
11-06-2007, 10:23
I understand why it moves so slow. The valks and vultures are modeled after attack and transport helicopters rather than actual jets/bombers.

Even a B-52 bomber has a top max speed of over twice that of an Apache attack helicopter (500mph vs. 225mph).

The valk does have VTOL capabilities though, making it highly maneuverable and easy to take off/land

orangesm
11-06-2007, 15:24
I think that each of them has their merits in terms of game play and potential scenarios.

The Valkyrie may be the only true Combat transport of the IN, but it has to land its troops to pay for itself in an air assault scenario!

Excellent point Neferata.