PDA

View Full Version : Cold storage for my armies

ReveredChaplainDrake
13-05-2007, 18:00
As of about this October, I'll have been playing 40k for a full decade. And with my extensive playing comes a whole host of models that... well, that I don't really even use. They range all the way from every single model in my Necron army (about 2500 pts worth, but not an intelligent 2500 pts worth if you catch my drift...), to the shattered (literally in many cases) remains of my Ulthwe, and quite a handful of Word Bearers. None of this stuff I want to throw out. If I pump any of my armies up to giant amounts, I'll need proxies for a while, until I can get some better models later. And when the new Necrons and Chaos come out, I'm gonna' get giddy with redoing them.

But for now, I need someplace to put all these guys. Someplace out of the way, compact, and where they won't get broken too critically. And someplace to put a pair of Monoliths. Any suggestions? (Also, I have about 3000+ pts of Lizardmen to pack away too.)

Seth the Dark
13-05-2007, 18:55
Do you have an attic? Maybe you could place them in a couple of boxes into a part of your house you never go into much?

ReDavide
13-05-2007, 21:17
Comic book boxes come in a size that is nearly identical to the Sabol army carriers and cost all of two bucks. Just add some (admittedly expensive) foam trays and you're set. This is especially convenient if you already use a Sabol case, since you can just swap trays in & out of storage when your mood changes.

If you don't want the expense of foam trays, rifle cases come with close-packed egg crate. I have my entire skaven army in one.

Monoliths seem sturdy enough that a shoebox might suffice for them. If you do want more protection, this here is fairly affordable. It's 18"x12" and 5" deep, comes with one layer of deep partitionable foam, and could get dropped off a 10-story building and probably survive:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=24981-16878-60132&lpage=none

natedogg710
13-05-2007, 22:59
It really depends on what type of storage you want for your models. If you want to have them be easy to take out and transport when you need them, then go with what ReDavide said with the Sabol trays. If you won't need them for a while, just use big boxes and packing peanuts. Make sure to label the boxes so you know where everything is.

kaimarion
13-05-2007, 23:19
When I read the title of this thread I thought you where storing them in your freezer...
Try bubble rap and cardboard boxes and then the-------ATTIC

Irondog
13-05-2007, 23:47
If you feel somewhat adventurous, create your own army storage. Head over to any fabric / craft store. You know the kind, the one with all the little old ladies going in for yarn and bolts of fabric to knit and make quilts :) These stores generally have foam for making pillows and upholstered items. You can get this stuff in a variety of thicknesses (anywhere from about half an inch to around 3 inches thick) and in massive quantities.

I personally use the 3 inch thick sandwiched between 2 half inch layers to store vehicles. Just cut the stuff into whatever shaped box you're going to use, then cut holes in the thick stuff to fit your vehicles, models, whatever. Works like a charm and fairly cheap as well.

dugaal
14-05-2007, 00:06
Call me cheap, but Iron dog is right on; making your own transportation from cheap foam is the best, as it is infinitely customizable. Its also not hard to get 2 inch deep layers, make 1 3/4 inch deep square hollows, then carefully rip or cut out excess to make spaces for your own foam trays
If your dealing with models that would lie flat save for the base, use thinner sections and just cut thin trenches for the base to sit in, then lay down whole squads. (this makes sense in my head, might sound confusing though)

fwacho
14-05-2007, 04:30
I keep about 70% of my minis in fishing tackle boxes that I have lined with quilt padding (using hotglue) I also have a few scratchbuilt carriers form plastic storage boxes (I adapt these to fit my armies) Then I keep them in my closet so my kids can't get them.

Dooppie
14-05-2007, 09:01
4 days ago I put my armies in 1 location.

Look:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Dooppie/kast.jpg

Eldar in an Eldar plastic box, Tau in a...ect ect.
Bit and small peices are in a flat tool box.
In small plastic boxes are Mordheim, BFG and blood bowl (not showing on picture).
This keep them out of dust and I have a nice overvieuw what I have.

I am realy happy with this new set up :)

Flaxxon
14-05-2007, 09:16
4 days ago I put my armies in 1 location.

Look:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Dooppie/kast.jpg

Eldar in an Eldar plastic box, Tau in a...ect ect.
Bit and small peices are in a flat tool box.
In small plastic boxes are Mordheim, BFG and blood bowl (not showing on picture).
This keep them out of dust and I have a nice overvieuw what I have.

I am realy happy with this new set up :)

Oh if only I had the time and drive to organize my 5 armys and mounds of bits that well. Oh well, hopefully after I get the basement cleaned up I can work on it.

CommisarMolotov
14-05-2007, 13:27
If you feel somewhat adventurous, create your own army storage. Head over to any fabric / craft store. You know the kind, the one with all the little old ladies going in for yarn and bolts of fabric to knit and make quilts :) These stores generally have foam for making pillows and upholstered items. You can get this stuff in a variety of thicknesses (anywhere from about half an inch to around 3 inches thick) and in massive quantities.

I personally use the 3 inch thick sandwiched between 2 half inch layers to store vehicles. Just cut the stuff into whatever shaped box you're going to use, then cut holes in the thick stuff to fit your vehicles, models, whatever. Works like a charm and fairly cheap as well.

It works just as well without taking the time to cut it - simply put down a layer of foam, put down some models lying on their sides, put down another layer of foam, add more models, repeat...

None of the models are heavy enough to damage the layers below them, thankfully. I've got zillions of old models, just like you - and that's how I store 'em!

dean
14-05-2007, 14:22
ATTIC

Um.. Not to be a naysmith or anything... Attics get hot + plastic models = Warp damage... (I have a nifty Bassie that shoots on a curve) Maybe the BASEMENT.

Dooppie
14-05-2007, 20:04
Oh if only I had the time and drive to organize my 5 armys and mounds of bits that well. Oh well, hopefully after I get the basement cleaned up I can work on it.

Yes it's cost time...but on the long run it safe time and space!!!

First you must do make a plan/good idea how you gona solve this 'problem'.
How much space you need too put things in boxes, toolbox or other way too safe your Warhammer stuff.
If you have bit's/models that you never use...you could sell them or trade them.
This could safe space but cost more time.
Put labels on the boxes so you can see what's in it and is less chaos looking.

On the long time you can see what you have and it's easier too pick the models that you need instead of: ...where I have that model laying...after 10 minutes looking, :wtf: still not found the model :angel:

Lancaster
14-05-2007, 20:18
When I read the title of this thread I thought you where storing them in your freezer...
Try bubble rap and cardboard boxes and then the-------ATTIC

Same here...