PDA

View Full Version : 2k of traditional choppy dwarves - first attempt

ehlijen
15-05-2007, 02:52
I've made a post asking about blackpowderless combat dwarves and after some thinking I've come up with this list. Thanks to all those who helped :)

1 Runelord @ 374 Pts
Anvil of Doom; Great Weapon; Shield
Master Rune of Balance

1 Thane @ 215 Pts
Oath Stone; Battle Standard
Master Rune of Grugni
Strollaz's Rune
Goes with hammeres

1 Thane @ 114 Pts
General; Oath Stone; Great Weapon; Shield
Master Rune of Dismay
Goes with Ironbreakers

10 Quarrellers @ 110 Pts

10 Quarrellers @ 110 Pts

10 Quarrellers @ 110 Pts

14 * Hammerers @ 212 Pts
Shields; Full Command

15 Ironbreakers @ 225 Pts
Full Command

14 Miners @ 204 Pts
Steam Drill, Full Command <- not sure I want to keep the drill

15 Troll Slayers @ 165 Pts

14 Warriors @ 160 Pts
Shields; Full Command

Dispel Pool: 7 (+1)

Casting Pool: 2

Models in Army: 108

Total Army Cost: 1999

The plan I came up with thanks to some help is: Slayers (boosted by grugni's rune) form a wall in front of the three main units and everyone Strollaz' forward. Starting second turn (or as soon as I can) I will reform the slayers to let one of my main units be anvilled into a charge, or, if they are already engaged, I will move into flanking positions and charge with the anvil.
The miners will threaten the enemy rear and either force him to retain a rear guard, or catch his battle line where he least prepared for it.
The quarrelers offer limited ranged support and protect the anvil.

Some questions:
Should I go with a cheap anvil or take thorek? He seems to pay a premium for items that are of little use on an immobile character and makes little use of his magic defense potential as a runelord.
Is the Master Rune of Dismay worth it? Seems like it could be a nasty suprise, but is it any more than an inconvinience?
What's the best deployment for miners? Single line to catch fleeing troops? 7 wide for max frontage vs a 5 wide unit? or 5 wide for max ranks?
Should the hammerers with the bsb be on the flank so that I have a subborn oathstone there, or in the middle for maximum coverage for grugni's rune?
Are blasting charges worth it?

Note that I like the sense of tradition of the dwarves, so I want little or no technology or blackpowder if I can avoid it.

Any and all comments/suggestions/declerations of my insanity are welcome :)

ehlijen
15-05-2007, 22:58
One more question, are units of 15 strong enough, or should I drop one and go 20+?

RavenBloodwind
16-05-2007, 03:26
Just a few thought:

Overall list is conceptually solid. Your units are really too small though, as you indicated in your second post (by the way you can just edit your primary post instead of adding a second as an addendum). 20-man units (or larger) are more suitable in 2k or larger armies.

Additionally, oathstones in an army designed to move may be counterintuitive. Frankly, I'd be tempted to drop at least one oathstone as the current general concensus is that once used the unit can never move again for the duration of the battle.

As to your questions:
Should I go with a cheap anvil or take thorek?
I'd avoid Thorek because opponents think he's broken and will not enjoy playing against him, and for fewer points you can do very well.

Is the Master Rune of Dismay worth it? Seems like it could be a nasty suprise, but is it any more than an inconvinience?
Can be very handy in controlling WHAT your opponent charges, often setting him up to get smacked in the flank by an additional unit and thereby broken in your turn.

What's the best deployment for miners? Single line to catch fleeing troops? 7 wide for max frontage vs a 5 wide unit? or 5 wide for max ranks?
Largely depends on when and where they arrive as well as their role. If you arrive late and are breaking and chasing his units the super-wide flyswatter is fine. If you arrive early and need to fight then ranks are key. If you have the numbers, static combat res is good so 5 x whatever works well. If you really need to be fighty then the 6-7 frontage may help but a champion and 5 wide should do as well.

Should the hammerers with the bsb be on the flank so that I have a subborn oathstone there, or in the middle for maximum coverage for grugni's rune?
If you leave the oathstone on him, go with center so the army can maybe benefit from his reroll. If you drop the oathstone, still in the center for the same reason.

Are blasting charges worth it?
Against some opponents maybe, but in my opinion blasting charges are 2/3 of a bolt thrower you could use every turn. Since this is a fighty list, the 30 points could be used for rune banners or spare character runes or just more bodies.

ehlijen
16-05-2007, 03:58
Thanks!

I understand that using the stones liberally is like bolting my foot to the floor. I was mainly interested in them as a deterrent for flankers while I'm charging straight ahead, or as a backup in case a misstruck anvil leaves me in a bad position. But I guess they are a lot of points just for that.

I think you are confusing the runes of challenge and dismay? Either way I think I will drop it, the bsb's stone, a quarreler unit and the steam drill to bump up the warriors and ironbreakers to 19 (before adding the thanes) and the hammerers to 20.