PDA

View Full Version : Equipping an Arch Lector on War Altar

Crube
15-05-2007, 10:11
I'm in a dilemma

I have most of my army planned out, and it is lead by an Archlector on a War Altar. Now my problem lies in how to equip him, magic item wise.

Being on the Altar, he has a ward save already, so magic armour type things seem pointless.

He only has 2 attacks, so anything like the sword of power / righteous steel also seem less useful.

I'm looking at the Casket of Sorcery, but other than that, I'm a bit stuck, so any EMpire generals out there - how do you do it.

Should I spend the points on magic items for the AL, or save them and spend them elsewhere. I'm thinking maybe a low level mage...

(overall, I'm talking about 60-70 points. The army has 3 main blocks of infantry, some knights, pistolliers, and a few missile troops and a couple of WMs)

Hywel
15-05-2007, 15:29
In his position as a member of the embryonic 'cookie-cutter' list for 7th ed. empire, he has also been fortunate enough to develop a standard set of items. :p
Shield of the Gorgon + Van Horstmann's Speculum are the basics of it and you might fancy a shiny sword to go with it.

I think it's a good build. Considering he's stood on a chariot and should be supporting charges rather than making them on his own, he's already handy at fighting against enemy troops. His ward save protects him enough, he brings good magic offence and defence to the table so all that's left to do is protect him from enemy characters and maybe increase his fighting ability a little.

Crube
16-05-2007, 07:45
ooooh flooded by responses....

Thanks Hywel...

Anyone think it's feasible to run with a naked Arch Lector on Altar...?

Sedge
16-05-2007, 12:16
I have been running with an AL for some time now. I like the VHS 1+AS armour and eith sword of battle (+1A) or just a DHW. This little chap runs slightly in front of army and charges enemy in this order. Single big characters, characters in strong units strong units (Cavalry etc.) finally anything that prevents him being shot of the bac of the Alter (Bolt throwers anyone:confused: )

All in all this guy is a little too good for the cost. he dosn't win battles on his own but he is very hard for the enemy to ignore or negate.

Morph
16-05-2007, 20:34
Yup, I'm with Hywel - the Speculum and Gorgon's Shield are what I use, mostly with a Sword of Battle (perhaps Might).

Like you say, he only has 2 attacks, so there's no point giving him a choppy sword. But when you can get in combat with an enemy general and swap over stats, suddenly your hatred and re-roll spell become rather useful.

I've used him usefully charging the front of a group of Glade Guard and challenging a Wood Elf Lord. The Lord had annoyance of nettlings, so it was taking a while to kill, but since the War Altar is unbreakable it gives you time to get in position for a flank charge.

KingGato
17-05-2007, 05:30
If I'm tight for points I almost always run a nearly bare-bones Lector. But if you can afford it, he will certainly appreciate being equiped with the Armor of Meteoric Iron. And of course the VHS, though that is officially no longer a trick and has been promoted to a foregone conclusion on the part of whoever you are fighting.

Count Zero
17-05-2007, 09:46
thats a good combo, the enemy will expect the VHS, but the sheild adds a nasty touch. What about taking the hammer of judgement? nice any fluffy for a warrior priest, i guess great vs elves too.

will they be releasing a new war alter? i am not a huge fan of the current one.

WillFightForFood
17-05-2007, 14:14
Using the Speculum is assuming you go up against a Lord level character whose base stats are worth swapping. There's no reason to assume that happening. It's also, as mentioned, quite cliche.

Gaius Marius
17-05-2007, 16:16
I find just heavy armour, shield, hand weapon, and VHS is more than adequate. Just keep him in in challenges. As far as stat swap is concerned, it doesn't really matter unless you swap with a missile unit champion, their stats are either as good or better generally. What makes this selection so great is that once he is in combat, he is unbreakable, and hard to kill with his own statline!

Count Zero
17-05-2007, 16:18
but you dont have to swap its optional, so if you come up against a champion etc you can stay the same.

Morph
17-05-2007, 18:03
Using the Speculum is assuming you go up against a Lord level character whose base stats are worth swapping. There's no reason to assume that happening. It's also, as mentioned, quite cliche.

I can never resist a cliche.

Plus a lot of the time Hero level characters are worth swapping stats with. Elves are a little annoying though, since your T drops to 3. Stupid weedy Elves.

Archaon
17-05-2007, 18:04
How about the mace of Helstrum?

A strength 10 hit with D6 wounds is something to reckon. He is protected well enough from back attacks with the ward save and armor to be able to survive the backlash with a bit of luck should he not kill the enemy monster/character in the first attack and hatred lets him reroll that first attack with the mace should he not hit the first time.

BlazeXI
17-05-2007, 21:06
How about the mace of Helstrum?

A strength 10 hit with D6 wounds is something to reckon. He is protected well enough from back attacks with the ward save and armor to be able to survive the backlash with a bit of luck should he not kill the enemy monster/character in the first attack and hatred lets him reroll that first attack with the mace should he not hit the first time.

Seconded. Let's face it. this weapon was designed for an Arch Lector and Master Wizard. Your Arch Lector will be reduced to one attack, but he starts with 2 only. Small sacrifice for that S10 D6, isn't it?