PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on which dwarf list

maze ironheart
15-05-2007, 12:40
Hi I've made these 2 lists and can't decide which is better so I would like to ask any one who has experience playing with dwarfs for advice.They are both 2000pt list so please if any one can help I'll be greatful.

(First list)
(Lord Choice)
1-Dwarf lord on a shield with great weapon with master rune kragg the grim(Retains 2+ strength strike last)1 rune of fury(+1 attack)1rune of cleaving(+1 strength)rune of stone(+1 to armour save).246pts
(Hero Choice)
1-Thane with great weapon master rune of gromril(1+ armour save) oath stone.114pts
1-Rune Smith with great weapon rune of spell breaking(Despell scroll)Rune of warding(Magic resistances 1)Rune of stone(+1 armour save).120pts
(Core Choice)
19-Dwarf worriors with great weapons heavy armour fullcommand this is where the thane is going to be placed.215pts
19-Dwarf worriors with hand weapons shields heavy armour fullcommand this is where the rune smith is going to be placed.196pts
10-Dwarf quarrellers with light armour and crossbows and shields.120pts
(Special Choice)
18-Ironbreakers with fullcommand this is where the dwarf lord on the shield is going to be placed.264pts
15-Slayers with standard bearer and musicain.183pts
1-Bolt thrower with engineer and rune of penatrating(+1 strength to ammo)Rune of burning(Flamming attack).90pts
1-Bolt thrower with engineer and rune of penatrating(+1 strength to ammo).85pts
(Rare Choice)
1-Organ Gun.120pts
1-Organ Gun.120pts
Totol-1993

This is the second list I have a little bit of points left so it's a choice between adding extra dwarf worriors or add a cannon or some more slayers.

(second List )

(Hero Choice)
1-Thane with Hand weapon and shield and has 2 runes of cleaving(2+ strength) and the grudge rune(At start of battle write down the enemy character you have a grudge against you only re-roll to hit and to wound against that character) and rune of stone.127pts
1-BSB thane with master rune of stromni red beard(Every on who is with in 12 of this banner gets 1+ to combat result.165pts
1-Rune Smith with great weapon and shield rune of spell breaking(Despell scroll)Rune of stone(+1 armour save).106pts
(Core Choice)
19-Dwarf worriors with shields and heavy armour fullcommand this is where the 1st thane is going to be placed.196pts
19-Dwarf worriors with hand weapons shields heavy armour fullcommand this is where the rune smith is going to be placed.196pts
(Special Choice)
19-Ironbreakers with fullcommand this is where the BSB thane is going to be placed.277pts
15-Slayers with standard bearer and musicain.183pts
1-Bolt thrower with engineer and rune of penatrating(+1 strength to ammo)Rune of burning(Flamming attack).90pts
(Rare Choice)
1-Organ Gun.120pts
1-Organ Gun.120pts
Totol-1905

I like both these lists but their can only be one because I am planning on using the list in the nemesis crown campaign.Both the lists work almost the same I put the worriors and slayers up front and they protect the quarrellers if theirs a hill terrain.The iron breakers with the BSB will be put between the quarrellers so every one benefits not only the re-roll on their leadership but the +1 to combat.The bolt throwers will be placed where they can pick of lots of units and the same with the organ guns.So please if any one can help pick between these lists I'll be very greatful.

ehlijen
16-05-2007, 01:45
Unless you have a plan for getting the dwarf lord into combat, I'd either not take one or keep him very cheap and only use him for his leadership. He is too easily avoided otherwise (shame, it's a cool model!).
So I'd take the second one, and for the extra points:
The grudge rune is difficult to make use of in a static army as you rely on the enemy charging with the right unit. If you leave it out, you can take another quarreler unit without shields.

maze ironheart
16-05-2007, 09:21
Thanks for the info should I take the master rune of swiftness (Strikes first) in placeof the grudge rune.The only problem is I fight skaven alot and he usually takes the storm banner if I have lot's of shooting to weaken my shooting but another quarreller unit do sound good.

ehlijen
16-05-2007, 11:03
Swiftness is a very nice rune, but only worth it if he has a beefy weapon already. Your current runes in the second list are definitely good on a swift axe. Maybe replace one Strenght rune with an Attack rune?
As for the skaven stormbanner, I'm not too familier with it. Is that the one that stops all shooting? It affects him as well, and his units aren't as good in combat as yours so it's a double edged sword for him.
And lastly, if worst comes to worst, quarrelers with shields in two ranks still outfight skaven clanrats! (but watch the static combat resolution)

edit: just rememberred, if you're afraid of your quarrelers being neutralised by the storm banner, you can give them great weapons too and charge them forward :D that'll scare those pesky rats!

maze ironheart
16-05-2007, 14:06
The opponent is my cousin he dose not take any shooting since they made it that his unit teams can be shot at he keeps saying he will take jezzels.So the banner will hardly effect him the qurrallers will gain 2+ to combat thanks to 1 their rank and the +1 to combat thanks to the Stromni red beard banner.I sadly:cries: don't have enough points to buy another qurraller unit sorry (I too like the dwarf lord on the shield model).Shame I won't be able to use the model till 3000pts or high oh well I just need to decide what to add to the second list it's a choice between more dwarf worriors the cost of the unit will increase to 25 the uinit will then cost 241pts or take a cannon on it's own.thats the only thing I need to work out now to add to the second list thank's for helping me choose the second list.

ehlijen
16-05-2007, 23:32
The jezzails will be affecte too won't they?

Is for filling, more warriors and great weapons on some units are a good way to go. A cannon is great generally, but the skaven have little it's worth shooting at (really only the lightning cannon comes to mind, which you probably won't be able to see anyway), so it depends on what other opponents you face.

maze ironheart
17-05-2007, 13:19
The jezzails will be affecte too won't they?

Is for filling, more warriors and great weapons on some units are a good way to go. A cannon is great generally, but the skaven have little it's worth shooting at (really only the lightning cannon comes to mind, which you probably won't be able to see anyway), so it depends on what other opponents you face.

So I should equip the dwarf worriors with great weapons and not increase their unit strength.

ehlijen
17-05-2007, 14:03
I'd say that's up to personal preference and likely enemies. GWs give the warriors some extra puch that str 3 otherwise has trouble providing, but if you'd rather have a super reliable unit, more bodies and shields are the best. Against skaven, more bodies are probably best, but if you think you might be facing knights, go GW.

maze ironheart
18-05-2007, 10:46
Thank you Ehlijen for helping me make my dwarf list choice easier I just need to decide between these 2 increases.I could increase the slayers by 5 more slayers they would then cost 238pts or give one of the dwarf worriors with shields unit great weapons as well they would then be 236pts I can then give the rune smith another rune of spell breaking I just can't decide.

maze ironheart
19-05-2007, 18:52
This is what my list is like now.

(Hero Choice)
1-Thane with Hand weapon and shield and has 2 runes of cleaving(2+ strength) and Master rune of swiftness(Strikes first in combat) and rune of stone.137pts
1-BSB thane with master rune of stromni red beard(Every on who is with in 12 of this banner gets 1+ to combat result.190pts
1-Rune Smith with shield rune of spell breaking(Despell scroll)Rune of stone(+1 armour save).
(Core Choice)
19-Dwarf worriors with shields and heavy armour fullcommand this is where the 1st thane is going to be placed.196pts
(Special Choice)
19-Ironbreakers with fullcommand this is where the BSB thane is going to be placed.277pts
20-Slayers with standard bearer and musicain.183pts
(Rare Choice)
1-Organ Gun.120pts
1-Organ Gun.120pts
Totol-1937

The idea I have is if I give 1 of the dwarf worrior units great weapons the will have both great weapons and shields this would be the thanes unit i would do this to they would then cost 236.I would then drop the rune of stone on the rune smith and give him another rune of spell breaking the rune smith would then cost 122pts and would have 2 runes of spell breaking and have a 2+ armour save.Or I can give the slayers an increase in unit strength they would then cost 238pts