PDA

View Full Version : How are casualties removed?

VampireOfKhorne
15-05-2007, 13:17
This has been bugging me for a while (though its never actually came up in a game), how are casualties removed (by this I mean which fighting models count as dead, I know they're removed from the back)?

Say a chariot and some heavy cav frontal charge a 5*5 block of pikemen, the chariot is clipping so it's only touching 1 row of pikes, the impact hits kill 6 pikemen. How are these kills distributed? Does it kill all the pikemen in the row that would have attacked the chariot? Does it kill the front rank? In either case, were does the 6th (as either way, its only 5 wide/deep) casualty come from?

slasher
15-05-2007, 13:25
Rank and file models in base to base (except unit champions) are killed, if more casualties than models in the rank the next rank dies and so on. Note - unit champions are only killed if attacks are specificly on them or there arent enough people left for some one else to die.

Llew
15-05-2007, 13:36
I think you're wanting to know if the pikemen get any attacks back, or if it just somehow sneakily manages to kill the pikemen who could have attacked it.

The short version is that it kills the pikemen that could have attacked it.

To resolve this, the simple way count the number of models that could have attacked. If it kills more than or equal to this number, then the pikemen get no return attacks. (This assumes that there's no character or champion in the front of it, which is an entirely different problem.) If it kills less, then they get the difference in return attacks.

Atrahasis
15-05-2007, 13:37
Strictly by the rules, you count how many models can attack, subtract casualties and the result is the number who can attack back.

This means you can, for example, have a unit of wardancers charge one flank and a unit of archers the other. This would leave say 5 (for the sake of argument) in combat on each flank. If the wardancers inflict 10 casualties then the unit cannot attack back against either flanking force.

VampireOfKhorne
15-05-2007, 13:45
Strictly by the rules, you count how many models can attack, subtract casualties and the result is the number who can attack back.

This means you can, for example, have a unit of wardancers charge one flank and a unit of archers the other. This would leave say 5 (for the sake of argument) in combat on each flank. If the wardancers inflict 10 casualties then the unit cannot attack back against either flanking force.

Interesting, I guess going by the rules that seems right, but I think you'd usually have a tough time arguing that during a game.

So which player chooses where those lost attacks must come from? Like in my example, they had 20 pikemen attacks, and are now down to 14, could I say that all 6 that were lost were attacks that would have been against the heavy cav?

Or in your example, does this mean that If the wardancers killed less then 10, that they could choose to have the remaining counter attacks be on the wardancers (as they are, I assume, more resilient then the archers) rather then the archers?

Atrahasis
15-05-2007, 13:55
So which player chooses where those lost attacks must come from? Like in my example, they had 20 pikemen attacks, and are now down to 14, could I say that all 6 that were lost were attacks that would have been against the heavy cav? The controlling player decides where his models attack.

Or in your example, does this mean that If the wardancers killed less then 10, that they could choose to have the remaining counter attacks be on the wardancers (as they are, I assume, more resilient then the archers) rather then the archers?Sure, but you'd be stupid to do so. The archers are easier to kill and negate ranks.

VampireOfKhorne
15-05-2007, 14:00
The controlling player decides where his models attack.

Ah, Thanks. :)

Sure, but you'd be stupid to do so. The archers are easier to kill and negate ranks.

I actually meant that in thinking that the WE player would be the one to choese where the enemy attacked, I knew the archers are the better choice to attack.

enyoss
15-05-2007, 14:05
The controlling player decides where his models attack.

I was under the impression that if a unit kills all models eligible to attack it, it cannot be attacked back? In this case, that means that if the wardancers kill more than they are in base contact with, the dead models are taken those they are directly fighting, with any remainder then being removed from any other fighting ranks. I seemed to think that only the removal of this remainder is up to the controlling player?

As Atrahasis says, if the remainder is enough to remove all the models which were eligible to fight in the combat, then there are no attacks back :).

At least that's the way we play it :).

Cheers,

enyoss

theunwantedbeing
15-05-2007, 14:44
Page 36,main rulebook.
It explains everything you need to know.

Masque
15-05-2007, 15:15
Page 36,main rulebook.
It explains everything you need to know.

That statement is tantamount to saying 'Page 23 tells you all you need to know about Enemy In The Way.'

Eksodus
16-05-2007, 11:08
On this, if say a unit of Night Goblins are wedged between two units of say, skeletons (NG = Night Goblin, S = Skeleton)

S][NG][S

Where would you take the casualties from? Since there is technically no "behind" of this combat...

WLBjork
16-05-2007, 11:23
The rear rank is always the same - they are not removed from "behind" the combatants.