PDA

View Full Version : New Empire General's 2000 list, need help...

W0197158
15-05-2007, 17:46
Hey all. As implied by the title of the tread I am a new to empire and could use a few tips on the choices I made.

Empire Army List: 2000 Points

LORDS

Empire General: (159)
Armor of Meteoric Iron, Sword Sigismund,

*Accompanying the great swords. Has the sword of Sigismund to insure that the great swords are not cut to pieces. Also included to provide a family banner in the form of Arcane Warding to stop magical opponents.

HEROES

Warrior Priest: (155)
Shield, Heavy Armor, Barded Warhorse, Van Hortmannís Speculum, Sword (hammer) of Battle

*Traveling with inner circle knights to provide the all important re-roll on the charge. Given the speculum because my most powerful unit will most likely run across opponents with high stats that can be turned against them.

Battle Wizard: (125)
Level 2 Wizard, Dispel Scroll

* I actually do not know what magic lore I am using, but any opinions based on the the rest of my army would be most appreciated.

Captain of the Empire: (140)
Full Plate, Shield, Battle Standard Bearer, Griffin Banner

* Included in the army to provide the all important griffin banner. As most know, it is difficult for the empire to win combat based on stats. Any equipment that can make victory in combat possible by relying on the number of the empire's cheap troops is good in my book.

Total: 420

CORE

24 Spearmen: 164
Shields, Musician, Standard Bearer, Sergeant

Detachment: 8 Halberdiers: 40

* I choose spearmen as my main infantry block, because compared to the rest of the core choices they are the most adaptable when given shields. Because spearmen can either fight with spears in two ranks against a weak foe, or switch to hand weapons and shields for more powerful foes they be adapted to win in most situations. When given the griffin banner their success should increase even more so.

10 Handgunners: 100
Marksman, Repeater Handgun

* Unit of Handgunners to provide some of the needed long range support against heavily armored foes.

10 Huntsmen: 105
Marksman, Huntsman

* A unit of skirmishers that could be useful to destroy war machines or too attack other lightly armored foes.

Total: 409

SPECIAL

9 Knightly Orders: 294
Musician, Standard Bearer (Steel Standard), Preceptor, Inner Circle

*Most powerful unit in the army. Used to attack the flanks of my opponent's most powerful unit. Has the steel standard to help insure that knightly order pulls off the charge. (Will have the priest for extra killing power)

19 Great Swords: 250
Musician, Standard Bearer (Family Banner: Arcane Warding), Champion

Detachment: 8 Free Company: 40

* Powerful unit that can both dish out damage and take damage in return. With support from the Empire general and the banner of Arcane Warding the unit has a better chance of surviving against faster or magically inclined foes.

5 Pistoliers: 114
Outrider, Repeater Pistol

* fast cavalry unit that will be used to take down war machines or slow down my opponents movement.

Great Cannon: 100

* cannons in an empire army... need I say more.

Total: 798

RARE

21 Flagellant Warband: 220
Prophet of Doom

* Another hard hitting empire infantry unit that can either tie up impossible to kill units, or destroy numerous but weakly armored foes.

Grand Total: 1,997

So there is my list. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DesertDirge
15-05-2007, 19:40
there's nothing wrong with your list.

maze ironheart
15-05-2007, 19:57
Theirs nothing wrong with your list it's well balanced.

callum in hat
15-05-2007, 21:34
i agree with the above sentiments, very nice list

lee
15-05-2007, 21:42
looks like a very good all round list to me:)

Sasha
15-05-2007, 22:16
you might want to split you knights into two blocks of 5 as 10 wide (with the priest) is too wide to be manueverable and they're too expensive to buy an extra rank for.

also the staff that lets you store dice might be more useful than a scroll, giving you about 2 extra dice per dispell phase if needed.

W0197158
16-05-2007, 02:26
Thanks to all of those who have looked over the list and responded. It is comforting to know that most of my choices are competent. However, I am still having trouble figuring out which magic lore I will take for my wizard. While I know that magic in general is a very personal choice, I still wouldn't mind hearing from experienced empire players what their favorite magic lore is and why. Thanks in advance to those who read or respond.

Crazy Harborc
16-05-2007, 04:04
Looks like a good starter list. I suggest trying the Lore of Fire for a first time.

IMHO, you should buy another box of the Pistolier/Outrider fast cav. With a little practice those pistoliers can be very damaging. They can waste smaller units and prevent march moves. Their being able to march move and still shoot is a very good deal.;)

Sasha
16-05-2007, 10:58
the lore you use would depend almost entirely on who you're facing. also, you only have one level 2 wizard, so i wouldn't count on casting much anyway.

that said, heavens can be pretty useful for rerolls for your shooting.

Sick boy
16-05-2007, 14:46
My few tips:

1. Ward save for your General is a must IMHO;

2. 2 level on your wizard is a waste of points, you hardly cast anything with 4 dice & 1 bound spell per turn;

3. BSB can`t take any shield if I`m not mistaken, I`d recommend you mounting him;

4. one shooting unit in the whole list is a pointsink, either 2-3 or none at all;

5. Griffon Banner is certainly a great supporting stuff but the BSB risks to be killed outright with such a poor armour & give a load of Victory Points to your opponent for the banner;

6. Swordsmen are a way better than any other state troop unit;

7. nine Inner Circle knights is too much IMHO. I suggest that you should split the unit taking 5 Inners & making another 5 simple core vanilla knights for 115 pts.

Nonetheless, the general idea of your list is pretty nice. Cheers!:p

maze ironheart
16-05-2007, 15:15
the lore you use would depend almost entirely on who you're facing. also, you only have one level 2 wizard, so i wouldn't count on casting much anyway.

that said, heavens can be pretty useful for rerolls for your shooting.

I do aggree here it usually depends on who you faceing like when I fight skaven I take lore of death and fire.I try and get steal soul to take out characters in units.When I fight against brettonnians I still take the death lore but I change the fire lore for the lore metal to stick it to their armour saves:evilgrin:.Heavens is a great lore to play with it's also fun that they can re-roll a missfire on a war machine.Your list is a great list I usually take my knights like you do but I take 2 units of 9 knights one has the war banner the other has the steel standard one unit has a captain and an arch leactor in the other unit both have full command.

W0197158
17-05-2007, 21:19
After listening to the suggestions that people have posted, I have come up with a new list to take the suggestions into account. While I would have liked to have listened to all of the suggestions, I didn't have the points in many circumstances to follow through entirely with the ideas that were posted. What follows is a kind of compromise between the old list and the ideas that were posted. If there are any other suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. Thanks in advance.

LORDS

Empire General: (159)
Armor of Meteoric Iron, Sword Sigismund,

* same role

HEROES

Warrior Priest: (155)
Shield, Heavy Armor, Barded Warhorse, Van Hortmannís Speculum, Sword (hammer) of Battle

* same role

Battle Wizard: (125)
Level 2 Wizard, Dispel Scroll

* despite one of the previous commenter's idea that I should reduce the wizard's level to level 1, I figured I would try a few games with a level 2 wizard before I experiment with a level 1 wizard.

Captain of the Empire: (152)
Full Plate, Barded Warhorse, Battle Standard Bearer, Griffin Banner

* going in the swordsmen unit

Total: 591

CORE

23 Swordsmen: 163
Musician, Standard Bearer, Sergeant

*different unit same role as Spear men. Will use the griffin banner to win combats

Detachment: 8 Halberdiers: 40

10 Handgunners: 100
Marksman, Repeater Handgun

*same role

10 Huntsmen: 105
Marksman, Huntsman

* same role

5 Knightly Orders: 115

* new unit of normal knights I created by dividing the inner circle knights into two units. I suspect that by just having another calvalry unit on the table will increase my chances of getting a flank charge.

Total: 523

SPECIAL

5 Knightly Orders: 182
Standard Bearer (Steel Standard), Preceptor, Inner Circle

* same role as before

19 Great Swords: 250
Musician, Standard Bearer (Family Banner: Arcane Warding), Champion

* same role as before

Detachment: 8 Free Company: 40

5 Pistoliers: 114
Outrider, Repeater Pistol

*same role as before