PDA

View Full Version : 1000 point Lizardmen list

Caligula
15-05-2007, 18:13
Hey there all. Recently I've given into my urge to start a Lizardmen army, and decided to buy the battalion box and a couple of characters. This is the 1000 point army I've made out of the models I currently have. I am, however, still looking for suggestions on it, and am willing to change some models and buy more if necessary. Anyway, here's the list.

Saurus Scar-Veteran-
Great Weapon
Light Armour
Blessed Spawning of Quetzl
Charm of the Jaguar Warrior
@126pts.

Skink Priest-
Level 2
Scout
Cloak of Feathers
@140pts.

24 Saurus Warriors-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Spawning Champion
@318pts.

12 Skink Skirmishers
@72pts.

12 Skink Skirmishers-
Javelins and Shields
Scouts
@84pts.

6 Saurus Cavalry-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Spawning Champion
@260pts.

TOTAL-1000pts.

So there it be. I'm mainly wondering about the items and upgrades on my characters, and if I've made the right unit of Skinks inot scouts. Thoughts? Opinions?

RdDragon5
15-05-2007, 20:53
Saurus Scar-Veteran-
Great Weapon
Light Armour
@126pts.

He's a good start but, give him a shield at least, lets him have the +1 save when things shoot at him. Also why not give him the spawning of sotek, so that he gets the +1 attack on the charge, and with an 18" charge, he's going to get one. You also have 30 more points you could spend on magic item, i'd suggest geting him a wardsave.

Skink Priest-
Level 2
Scout
Cloak of Feathers
@140pts.

The scouting and cloak of feathers arn't needed. He should be kept back out of harms way, not flying up into danger. Either give him 2 dispell scrolls, or the diadem of power so he can save power dice and make them into dispel ones.

24 Saurus Warriors-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Spawning Champion
@318pts.

At 318 points you've got a lot of eggs in one basket with this unit. Either make it smaller so you can get things like Salamanders into your list, or give them quetzl so they don't die as easily.

12 Skink Skirmishers
@72pts.

12 Skink Skirmishers-
Javelins and Shields
Scouts
@84pts.

I know the box comes with 24 of them, but really you only need 10 in the unit. Keep them cheep so that if they have to die for the old ones plan they can. Have ones you've given blowpipes scout, and keep the ones with shield deploying normally as a screen for the saurus.

6 Saurus Cavalry-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Spawning Champion
@260pts.

Looking good but at 20 points for a Champion, and only another 15 for another whole model, I find champs in saurus cav a bit of waste. Take a look at the magic banners they can have, specifically the one that lets them move d6" in the magic phase once per game. Basically every lizardmen player that uses saurus cav takes it, so that they can get easy flank charges.

Caligula
15-05-2007, 21:08
Thanks muchly, RdDragon5. I'll take your suggestions into consideration and edit the original list as soon as the necessary changes have been made. Thanks again!

Caligula
15-05-2007, 21:25
Okay, here's the revised list. I took many of RdDragon's suggestions into consideration here, and I think they've worked very nicely! Check it out...

Saurus Scar-Veteran-
Great Weapon
Light Armour
Shield
Blessed Spawning of Sotek
Aura of Quetzl
@178pts.

Skink Priest-
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll
@115pts.

20 Saurus Warriors-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Spawning Champion
@270pts.

11 Skink Skirmishers-
Blowpipes
Scouts
@77pts.

10 Skink Skirmishers-
Javelins and Shields
@60pts.

6 Saurus Cavalry-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Spawning Champion
Huanchi's Blessed Totem
@300pts.

TOTAL-1000pts.

Thoughts?

Edit: There, the list has been edited to solve my Talisman of Protection worries. I've given the Scar-Vet the Aura of Quetzl for a nice, much more comforting ward save, so he's good to go. I've changed the Skink Priest up as well, making him a simple level 1 scroll caddie, for the most part. Hey, and if by some miracle he gets a spell off occasionally, well that's all good too. Finally, I had exactly 7 points leftover from these changes, and so I added another Skink to the scouting blowpipe unit.

RdDragon5
16-05-2007, 02:04
Well you could always leave the model for the cav's champ in, but for example you want a better save for your hero, and for 15 of those 20 points you can take off the talisman, and spend 30 points on either the Aura of Quetzl, or the Glyph Necklace. One gives you a 5+ ward save, and the other gives you a 4+, but only if he gets hit with a strength 5 or higher attack.

Caligula
16-05-2007, 11:52
Great, thanks RdDragon....yeah, I was actually looking at the Aura of Quetzl and the Glyph Necklace, both of which are fairly nice Ward save options. Considering that the Scar-Vet in this force is a rather large part of things, I'm thinking he does in fact need a decent backup save, just in case.

I'm still not hot on losing the Champion for the Saurus Cavalry for some strange reason, so I'm looking at trimming some points from elsewhere. I mean, I suppose I could tone down the Skink Priest, maybe making him a more focused dispel caddie, or just keep him as a level 2 without the Diadem of Power.

I've found that at the 1000 point mark, magic can either be quite devastating, or pretty much a non-issue. It seems the smart thing to do might be to change the Skink Priest to a simple level 1 magic defense character. Thoughts?

Caligula
16-05-2007, 12:02
I've edited the list above to accomodate the changes I've been mulling over in a long-winded fashion in the last post or two. How's it look now?

Caligula
16-05-2007, 12:19
...and not to jump the gun or anything, but I've been playing around with what I would add for the next 500 point installment of this army, taking it to 1500pts. This is the list I've come up with in such a case. Let me know what you think.

Saurus Scar-Veteran-
Great Weapon
Light Armour
Shield
Aura of Quetzl
@178pts.

Saurus Scar-Veteran-
Light Armour
Shield
Blessed Spawning of Itzl
Cold One
Sword of Might
@157pts.

Skink Priest-
Level 2
Diadem of Power
@135pts.

20 Saurus Warriors-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Spawning Champion
@270pts.

12 Skink Skirmishers-
Blowpipes
Scouts
@84pts.

12 Skink Skirmishers-
Javelins and Shields
@72pts.

6 Saurus Cavalry-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Spawning Champion
Huanchi's Blessed Totem
@300pts.

3 Kroxigor
@174pts.

2 Salamander Hunting Packs
@130pts.

TOTAL-1500pts.

Falcon
16-05-2007, 13:57
...or the diadem of power so he can save power dice and make them into dispel ones....

Isn't it the other way around? BTW, for a 1500 or 2K army this is a very nice item, expecailly combined with the mark of Tepok on a few characters/units.

I normally take less than 20 Saurus (Although that was before the new rules with 5 models per row iir.) They are tough to die and I find my oponents focus their fire on my Cav of Krox if I have.

I was trying to see if there's some way to fit a Sally in 1000pts as well, but it's just not enough. You can do so if you drop 1 dispell scroll, one skink and 3 Saurus. The problem with one salamander though (or mine at least :D ) is that it chews through the skink handlers at high rate. Better to take 2 sallies and even the odds.

For variety you could to remove Cav for look at 2 units of 15 Saurus + 1 unit of Krox.

The 1K5 list looks good.

Caligula
16-05-2007, 14:03
Thanks very much for the reply, Falcon. I know, I know....I'd LOVE to reasonably fit a couple of Salamanders into the 1000 point list, but as it stands, it just doesn't work. Also, as you said, one Salamander pack can sometimes be problematic....still good, of course, but it can be trouble.

Nope, I guess as it stands, I won't be adding any Salamanders to the 1000 point list...at this point, anyway.

I'm a fan of Saurus blocks, despite their crazy expensive nature. They're solid and reliable, and can go toe to toe with most enemies out there. I would definately like to add a second unit of them sometime, though, but I'd hate to drop my Saurus Cavalry to do so. We'll see...

Regardless, thanks very much for the reply!

Falcon
16-05-2007, 14:35
I have played a single Salamander on a few occasions. I have to say that it has always been entertaining. My Sally normally eats 2 skinks in the first round and have lost the remaining one by round 3. Then it normally charge and break a weak unit, hold up an expensive one or generally spits acid all over the place, now suddenly rolling max :D It's like playing with squigs and fanatics :D In fact, they are generally more dangerous without the handlers.

I think you're right about the Saurus Caligula. In fact I'm going to try bigger units for my games this weekend as well. Have you tried them with the mark of Quetzl for +1AS?

Caligula
16-05-2007, 20:05
No, I haven't got the oppurtunity to try that out yet....but I certainly plan on! Honestly the Blessed Spawning of Quetzl seems to me to be the best all-round spawning choice for Saurus units. Sure, the other ones are great(or can be, situationally), but the spawning of Quetzl pretty much comes in handy whenever, wherever, with whoever.

Definately something I'll be trying out on a unit of Saurus sometime.

Falcon
16-05-2007, 21:24
Yes, my default choice is Quetzl, both for characters and Saurus. Sometimes Tepoc as a second, combined with the diadem of power, especially if I have a Lv4 Slan in the army. With a lv2 skink priest and the diadem as well you can have up to 10 casting dice in a 2K game :evilgrin:

Perhaps a bit over the top, but not out of character. The Slan are supposed to be quite good at magic.

Good luck and let me know how that list holds up!

Frankly
17-05-2007, 09:42
20 Saurus Warriors-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Spawning Champion
@270pts.

How is this unit working for you in that list? Not the I have anything against saurus, but in this list it looks slow and costly while the rest of the list looks cost effective and mobile.

But what ever you do drop the champions from both the saurus and cavalry unit, they're so damned costly, invest the points into skink scouts to put more pressure onto your opponent through harassment.

I really like your 1500pts list, its fast, mobile and heavy hitting.

A few thoughts:

I could drop the priest from time to time and go for B.Tepok on both of he Vets for anti-magic. Your list to so good at getting into combat that magic defense shouldn't be a HUGE problem against average lists. Its just an idea.

Think about getting terradon, they'd suit this list down to the ground, there is always alot for a flying unit to do in this game and terradon are a great flying unit any way, one of the best mage hunters out there.

Try a spear over the sword of might on the mounted Vet, just to save costs.

Bortus
12-07-2007, 19:02
When I field Saurus Warriors I do so in smaller units and never use champions. As said earlier save some points and go scouts...you'll see.