PDA

View Full Version : The followers of Dork and Fork

Huckbuck
15-05-2007, 18:42
Hello everybody, Im new to Warseer, but Im not new to Warhammer. I have been painting since I was 9, and gaming since I was 12 (Im 15 now). When I started with Warhammer I just painted for fun and didnt collect a specific army, but after a while my Chaos Space Marines had slightly more units then the others, so I decided to start collecting them, and so I did for a year. Then I started a Space Ork army that I finnished half of before one of my Warhammer playing friends got me into WHFB and I started a Tomb King army. It was with my Tomb Kings that I started playing warhammer, but this army died at 1000 pts. This time it was time for Wood Elves. I collected WE for 1 and a half year, then they were redone so I continued collect the new Wood Elves. Wood Elves is still my main army and I have about 2000 pts new (almost all painted xcept 3 Wild Riders) and 1500 old Wood Elves (all painted).

Well its time for me to cut the crap. About a month ago I fell in love with the BFSP box and decided that I was going to buy one. But there was one thing I noticed when checking out the BFSP army logs on Warseer, almost everybody paints their Gobbos like the good ol Bad Moon's from Eavy Metal. After a couple of weeks I was tired of black robes, so when I finaly bought BFSP I decided to do something different and here it finaly is, my first Night Goblin ever:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3924/goblinofdorktl9.gif

I filed down the top on the hood to make it look like a priest robe and hood because I decided that my Night Goblins shall be priests of the less known greenskin gods Dork and Fork. This particular one is a follower of Dork, the followers of Fork wont have Orange decoration to give some variety.

The paint scheme I choose after testing different combinations. I also decided to make the green a tad bit grey because the model would look to cartoony with a colourfull robe and a shining green face.

Anyway, tell me what you think!

janos
15-05-2007, 18:51
Very nice and innovative! As I am one of those that painted them boringly black I must say these look very nice. A bit on the bright side but thats oka with me, I guess!
Nice base and spear too, keep on like this and the wrmy will look great. If you care to see some boring goblins:D come by my space and check it out!

Cheers
Jaybles

E-Dog
15-05-2007, 19:30
Nice, I really like the look of the filed down hood.

Ninners
15-05-2007, 19:31
I read your first paragraphs then looked at the pic and thought :wtf: !

I thought it was cool but i couldnt think what was different, i then read the end and thought ohhhhh :rolleyes:

its a very cool idea and the colour scheme is great

Warwolt the skaven
15-05-2007, 20:12
Yes, I agree! Very neat indude :D

Huckbuck
15-05-2007, 20:25
Wow! Thanks for all the great comments! I noticed now that the skin looks more greyish on the photo then when you llok at the model IRL, but its not that noticeable. Ive started on a spider rider and its really turning out great IMO, I will probably have pics of it up tomorrow. After that Im planing to start to massproduce Dork Followers with spears.

I have been thinking about one thing, do you think I shall file down all hoods, or keep some as they are? Maybe the pointy hoods a sign of higher rank? I could make like an elite (as elite as goblins can get) unit with pointy hoods.

Warwolt the skaven
15-05-2007, 20:43
have them point-IER for the higher ranks. No NG hats for they!

Huckbuck
15-05-2007, 20:56
Thats a good idea! Just to file em down a small bit! Im not sure if Im going to give theese sort of hoods to any of the units in BFSP, except the heros offcource, but maybe if I buy another box later. Or I could make one of the spearmen troops elite.

I also have a small, very small problem. One of the characters will have the title "abbot", but who suits best to be the head of the priesthood? The shaman or the hero?

Huckbuck
16-05-2007, 15:54
In the large, dank and filthy Abbey of Dork and Fork are many rooms and halls that arent very pleasant to visit. The tunnels and stairs dig down deep into the ground and countless rooms, some of them unvisited for over 500 years, are to be found when walking down the staircases and going through the dark hallways. One of theese rooms are the cellar, the room which lies the deepest and most isolated of all rooms in the Abbey. In the cellar the Cellar Spiders live, huge filthy spiders that the goblins of the Abbey feed with slaves and prisoners of war. The spiders are very independant, but a few brave goblins live down in the cellar to make sure the spiders get their food, breed and dont kill eachother. The spiders have accepted the goblins who live there (the ones they didnt except are dead) and sometimes the spider herders ride the Cellar Spiders in war. When the spiders are brought out of the cellar and up the stairs the abbey have to be evacuated since they get all wild and rush up the stairs and kill everybody that comes in their way. The poor spider herders hold on to the spiders backs and tries to calm them down at least untill they reach the battlefield.

Heres a WIP pic of my first Spider Rider, enjoy:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3667/cellarspidervv9.gif

I havent started on the rider yet, and I wanted to ask you guys if you have any ideas on suiting conversions?

//Huck

Braad
16-05-2007, 22:12
Sure... If you want to go with some theme for them that says they live in deep dark cellars, then get rid of the foresty look on the riders.
Maybe use night goblins for that, or perhaps something more challenging, since already a lot of people are doing that.

Maybe get rid of al the feathers on the forest gobbo's and give them a dark and dank paintjob or something...

Nurglitch
16-05-2007, 22:15
You know what a 'dork' is, right?

Huckbuck
16-05-2007, 22:30
Yea I think I know what a dork is... at least I hope it is what I think it is. At least I know what a Fork is :D

Braad: Thats a nice idea... I think I'll remove the feathers. I have allready started converting the first gobbo spider rider to look like he has liven in a cave for hi whole life. The eyes are bigger, and I modifyed the chins and the forehead. I hope that by using a pale skincolour he will look the right way. Think Gollum.

Warwolt the skaven
16-05-2007, 23:26
very nice spider indeed! I really like the collors.

the_dark_sarge
17-05-2007, 07:50
hehe nice work
i like the title

kieran

Huckbuck
17-05-2007, 08:01
Thanks! As I wrote earlier, I have started converting the rider. I have also filed down the hoods on and undercoated 4 more gobbos. Hopefully I will get them painted today or tomorrow since Im free from school.

Warwolt: Yea Im quite happy the way it turned out to. First I drybrushed the whole spider from schorced brown down to Skull white, but I noticed that it looked really boring when the whole thing had the same colour. So I decided to first wash the back with Fiery Orange, and then wash it really lightly with Beastial brown.

I have been having a few cool conversion ideas for future troops aswell. If I ever buys Fanatics I think Im going to replace their balls with huge bells to make the fanatics be the guy who ring the bell in the abbey.

Ive decided that the hero that comes with the BfSP box shall be my abbot, atleast untill I buy another hero. The shaman Im not sure about... maybe the chef of the abbey, like totaly mad and using strange ingredients to cast spells. Im sure that he use to have Warpstone as an ingredient in the food for the people of the abbey aswell.

Huckbuck
21-05-2007, 16:51
OK its been a couple of days since the last update, mainly cause I didnt have acces to a camera. But that doesnt mean I havent painted, 5 gobbos are now finnished!

Heres the gobbos aswell as a WIP pic of my first spider rider.
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9881/gobbosnridahsw8.gif

Thanks for reading ! ;)

Ninners
21-05-2007, 18:13
looking even better than before

the first 5 gobbos are very cool. The different orange symbols really add variety.

The paint scheme on the spider is very good

keep up the good work

Warwolt the skaven
21-05-2007, 19:10
hoho! Neato! Almost makes me wanna restart my goblins but nah. IŽd never be able to paint 300+ models in that scheme. It takes to much time, but dude. Finnish this and you MUST have 5 stars! Dang, this is niceo!

Huckbuck
21-05-2007, 19:16

the first 5 gobbos are very cool. The different orange symbols really add variety.

Thanks! I noticed when I took the photos that some of the g obbos faces are a bit gritty, something I'll fix next time I paint. The bases also needs to be finnished.

The paint scheme on the spider is very good

Thanks, Im quite hapy with it to. I think I will add some brown washes to the goblin though to give him a more rugged feel aswell as get rid of the shard green that Im not so happy with. I mean, the colour looks good, but this guy is supposed to have spent almost his whole life 600 metres under the ground in a dark cave with some spiders, so I want him to be more gritty.

keep up the good work

I'll try. ;)

EDIT:

Warwolt: Thanks man! Great comments feel great! It makes me more motivated aswell. I'll try to finnish atleast 1000 points o' Greenskins in the same scheme, maybe more if I feel like that. This is actually my first themed army, my Wood Elves were the regular summer and before that I just painted for fun and what I thought was cool.

I'll try to finnish the Spider Rider aswell as starting on 5 more Speardudes tomorrow or on Wednesday, hopefully I will have them done by friday :)

Braad
21-05-2007, 19:19
Aye!
You did well on that rider :)

Huckbuck
21-05-2007, 20:18
Thanks :D Im thinking about adding something else to his back, like some fur coats or something like that.. Mainly cause my conversions on the back werent that succesfull, but also cause it would give him a more hunched position that I think would be cool. The thing is, were do they get fur in a cave deep down in the ground? Maybe I could convert it like something else, like some sort of herb that grows down there.. Please come with ideas, Im tired so I find it hard to come up with something suiting..

Huckbuck
22-05-2007, 19:34
Ok heres a short uppdate. I had some time to paint today, so I finnished the first five gobbos totally, with basing and all. Then I behodded the next five, undercoated em and finnished the cloaks:

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/779/gobbolainenjy7.gif

Nothing new on the spider since Im not sure if I should convert something more one him..

Thanks for reading!

NOTE: One of them gobbos still have a screwed up face, but I'll probably put him in the rear rank cause I dont feel like fixing it and its not really something you notice that much...

Braad
22-05-2007, 20:04
For the fur-stuff...

Are you also gonna do squigs?
Cause you could make squig-cloaks for the spider riders.
Just sculpt something on 'm that looks like a cloak, maybe with some teeth still sticking out, and then paint it in the same (wacko) colours as you would paint squigs...

Nymerion
22-05-2007, 20:35
These are looking very good. :D A nice (and fun) change from the normal gobbos. Can't wait to see what the Fork followers will look like. :)

Cheers, Nymerion

Huckbuck
22-05-2007, 20:54
For the fur-stuff...

Are you also gonna do squigs?
Cause you could make squig-cloaks for the spider riders.
Just sculpt something on 'm that looks like a cloak, maybe with some teeth still sticking out, and then paint it in the same (wacko) colours as you would paint squigs...

That sounds like a good idea! I was planning on making the squig's fluff kinda like the spiders, living deep in the caves under the Abbey. I'll test that, but Im not sure if my GS skills is good enough to create some good looking cloaks, but we'll see.

Nymerion: Thanks! I havent decided how the followers of Fork should look like yet, I want them to be diferent but still fit with the rest of the army since the Dork'ers are going to be the majority of the gobbos.

Thanks for the comments!

Huckbuck
23-05-2007, 19:24
A very short uppdate, but no pics...

I have started on the squigcoat, and Im not sure yet, but I think it might turn out quite cool. Hopefully I will have pics tomorrow. I have also painted the spearheads on the Speargobbos, nothing worth taking pics of, but Ive been testing to paint rust on the spearheads, something I was quite happy with. I might do that on the other spears aswell.

Aflo
23-05-2007, 21:11
It's a very nice change from your token black robes, that's for certain! I like it dude, and by the end you'll have a superbly painted (and modelled) force. I would suggest taking it easy on the orange as it is very vibrant and a couple of your original 5 look a little too...orange. After you'd based them, however, they looked much better - still, something to keep in mind.
Looking forward to the squig :)
Regards
Aflo (Adam)

Huckbuck
24-05-2007, 13:05
It's a very nice change from your token black robes, that's for certain! I like it dude, and by the end you'll have a superbly painted (and modelled) force. I would suggest taking it easy on the orange as it is very vibrant and a couple of your original 5 look a little too...orange. After you'd based them, however, they looked much better - still, something to keep in mind.
Looking forward to the squig :)
Regards
Aflo (Adam)

Ok thanks, I'll keep that about the orange in mind. Im not a fan of cartoony armies (someone might wonder why the h*ll Im painting gobbos then), so will be more carefull with the orange. Two of my leasons today at school was canceled so I have a lot of time to paint, so maybe I will have some pics up later..

Thanks for the commetns and thanks for reading, cheers.

Huckbuck
24-05-2007, 19:36
OK, I painted for more then 3 hours straight today, so I finnished all the speardudes:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z242/Hucklordofbuck/gobbospeardudes.gif

I put them together with the old ones to be able to compare them, and especially to see what fits best, rust or rust free. I kinda like the rust, but maybe I should save it for the puny followers of Fork?

anyway, Ive also got quite far (might be finnished depending on what you guys think) on the Spider Rider. The pics doesnt show the cloak very well, but it was hard to get a side shot since the spear was ruining the focus from both sides -.-

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z242/Hucklordofbuck/gobbogreenstuff.gif

Now I'll focus on finnishing the spider rider and then paint 5 archers to get some variation from the regular speardudes.

Ninners
24-05-2007, 20:23
Good to see updates arw quick on your log!

I think the rust looks very cool compared to none rust, keep it and add it to the others!

Pants
24-05-2007, 22:45
Personally, on the rust, I would keep the rust on some of them, mixed in with the guys that don't have rust on them. It adds variety.

Huckbuck
25-05-2007, 14:22
OK, Ive decided that I will add rust on all, but verry little on some, like on one of the new guys, this will still add variety but the spears will still have the same tone, so that not half of the dudes have rusty spears and half of em have brand new shining spears.

Thanks for the comments, Im not sure if Im gonna paint today, but hopefully this weekend.

Huckbuck
26-05-2007, 18:39
Ok, I've been painting some today. I started 5 archers and almost finnished the Spider Rider. The Spider Rider's spear broke, so I have to fix that, other then that theres a few details that I need to fix aswell as the base. Please tell me what you think of the Squig Coat:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z242/Hucklordofbuck/gobboridahnsquig.gif

And guess what? The 5 archers are followers of Fork! (AKA Forkers). I have finnished their robes and skin, so I'll finnish them tomorrow or at monday. Comments are very welcome as usuall.

Thanks for reading.

-Huck.

Warwolt the skaven
26-05-2007, 20:41
First I tought your GS was worth crap, but when painted its really cool! A very nice Goblin army, indeed!

Huckbuck
26-05-2007, 21:17
First I tought your GS was worth crap, but when painted its really cool! A very nice Goblin army, indeed!

Thanks! I didnt like the conversion neither, but I decided to paint it and revome it if it didnt turn out good, but I was very hapy with the result after painting.

mousekiller
27-05-2007, 03:33
Looks good Huckbuck, I really like the various designs that you have used. Great work so far... keep em coming.

Huckbuck
27-05-2007, 09:09
Thanks MK! Im a big fan of your Greenskins, they are very inspiring. Especially the Mushroom King. ;)

Huckbuck
03-06-2007, 13:47
Ok Ive been a bit lazy with the uppdates, but a new one is coming either today or tomorrow. I have finnished 5 archers and I am almost finnished with converting the troll, so I have at least done something this week.

Huckbuck
04-06-2007, 20:04
OK I have been a bit lazy like a I said but here they are for the first time ever:
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z242/Hucklordofbuck/forkers.gif

The followers of fork!! I wanted them to have a more gritty, dirty and wild look then the Dorkers, so I painted the robes dirty and thought that warpaint would do the wild nad tribal thigy justice. The orange hood design is there to tie the unit to the rest of the army, and all in all Im quite happy with the result. The bases needs to be done offcourse.

Note: the leftmost goblin have only half of the face painted in warpaint, but in that pic it looks like the whole face is blue, which it is not.

In addition to that I have started painting my slightly converted troll:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z242/Hucklordofbuck/trollboll.gif

Im quite happy with the skin on the back, but I think that the skin on the front needs some improving. After that theres mostly details and fixing misstakes, and the loincloth. Going to do a conversion on the base aswell.

Thanks for reading! comments are always appreciated.

Nymerion
04-06-2007, 20:20
I like the troll. Looking very sick. :D Could use a glaze or 2 with DA Green though.
I must say that I'm not to much a fan of your spider riders, but that's just personal taste. :)
Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Nymerion[dice0]

Huckbuck
05-06-2007, 13:59
I like the troll. Looking very sick. :D Could use a glaze or 2 with DA Green though.

Thanks! :D Yea I will work with a few layers of inks and highlights on the skin.. maybe some drybrush to if its needed.

I must say that I'm not to much a fan of your spider riders, but that's just personal taste. :)

heh, ok. Do you know what it is you dont like? So I can consider changing that?

Thank you.

-Huck.

venom
20-07-2007, 22:03
:skull:All of your models look fantastic! they're so good I can see how amazing they are even without my glasses (ok they are a weak perscription but thats besides the point) keep up the good work!
:skull:

Maximus Lucifer
21-07-2007, 15:37
like the idea, i like the spearmen colours very much, but the archers and Troll dont seem the same thing...

Anardakil
22-07-2007, 00:35
You're a great painter! I really like your models, especially the followers of Fork ^^
Your colour schemes are really innovative and nice :D

You should check my christmas gobbos out, they're in my blog. (link in the signature)

Huckbuck
10-08-2007, 20:32
Thanks for all the feedback! :D I havent painted very much during the summer, I have finnished one of the new woods from GW, almost finnished 10 spear gobbos, continued on the troll and converted a BSB, but nothing more. I might have pics next week if I paint something more, this thread is definatly not dead, it will be back at full power after the summer when I have time to paint instead of doing homework :P