PDA

View Full Version : can Be'Lakor join a unit?

Selsaral
08-04-2005, 12:39
Under the Marks of Chaos section in the Hordes of Chaos book, it explicitly states a character can only join a marked unit if they themselves have the same mark. In the army composition rules right before the army list, it explicitly states that daemons are considered to have the mark of their patron god for the purposes of army composition.

Since the only undivided daemons are furies, and characters can never join flyers, it doesn't look like Be'Lakor could ever join any unit.

However in his Fog of Death spell, it specifically says that Be'lakor or the unit he is with aren't affected by the spell. This is implying that there is a unit he could possibly join.

Anyone shed any light on this?

taer
08-04-2005, 13:29
Yes, Be'lakor can join only one unit: Himself!

The reference to another unit is just left-over from the dark Emmiseries. Be'lakor's spells are just copy paste from the Emmiseries' old ones.

Selsaral
08-04-2005, 13:42
Aha, that explains that. Thanks!

EvC
08-04-2005, 23:24
He could join another undivided character, perhaps. I just looked through an FAQ which said two characters can join up, so I guess it applies to Belly.

taer
09-04-2005, 06:32
He could join another undivided character, perhaps. I just looked through an FAQ which said two characters can join up, so I guess it applies to Belly.

Ok, he can join either a Daemonic Herald of Undivided or an exalted daemon. Terribly exciting opportunities there!

sulla
10-04-2005, 06:58
Under the Marks of Chaos section in the Hordes of Chaos book, it explicitly states a character can only join a marked unit if they themselves have the same mark. In the army composition rules right before the army list, it explicitly states that daemons are considered to have the mark of their patron god for the purposes of army composition.

Since the only undivided daemons are furies, and characters can never join flyers, it doesn't look like Be'Lakor could ever join any unit.

However in his Fog of Death spell, it specifically says that Be'lakor or the unit he is with aren't affected by the spell. This is implying that there is a unit he could possibly join.

Anyone shed any light on this?

Well you never know...One day GW might bring out some Be'lakorettes...
:D

Eldacar
10-04-2005, 08:07
I'm kind of hoping for undivided daemons on foot. Not sure what they'd look like, though.
I do collect a bit of Chaos, so it would be nice to see something like that.

Neknoh
10-04-2005, 08:17
He CAN indeed join units, the Daemon units only count as having the mark of their god for the purpose of Choosing an army... though I might be wrong

Festus
10-04-2005, 08:31
I am afraid you are wrong... Deamons always count as having the MArk of their Gods IIRC

Greetings
Festus

Neknoh
12-04-2005, 19:25
"For purposes of army composition"

Selsaral
12-04-2005, 20:07
You make a point I didn't want to make myself Neknoh, because you'd risk getting accused of rules lawyering. But it is true that this is the wording they have used, and I have pondered it before.

However i'd be stunned if games workshop really did intend for the lord of change to lead units of fleshhounds (so he'd get their magic resistance 2). I wish their wording was more clear in this manner, but I am forced to assume their intent was that daemons have marks for the purposes of joining units in addition to army composition.

I'd love to see someone post a rule or something about this particular issue, however.

Major Defense
12-04-2005, 23:13
I'd agree, bandwagon-style, with Selsaral's deductive logic and pro-bono rules lawyering. The only thing more marking than a mark is to be an actual demon of the patron god in question.

taer
12-04-2005, 23:22
Nope, and for purposes as for who may join them.

"All Daemons and Spawn of Chaos of one of the four greater powers are assumed to hav the mark of thier god, although they may not have the exact rules benefit associated with that mark" HoC pg. 55

Major Defense
13-04-2005, 01:20
Nope, and for purposes as for who may join them.

"All Daemons and Spawn of Chaos of one of the four greater powers are assumed to hav the mark of thier god, although they may not have the exact rules benefit [notice that they say "benefit" here and not "unit composition restriction"] associated with that mark" HoC pg. 55

From that quote it seems that the only thing they want to clarify after the comma is that demons don't gain the "rules benefit" of the mark that they are otherwise "assumed to have".

taer
13-04-2005, 02:54
Naw, I think it's more a clarification to all those out there who would be like: "Well, my horrors don't generate power dice, so obviously they don't have the mark of tzeentch!"

Neknoh
13-04-2005, 14:10
You make a point I didn't want to make myself Neknoh, because you'd risk getting accused of rules lawyering. But it is true that this is the wording they have used, and I have pondered it before.

Hehe, No Pain, No Gain.

Unless someone took the role of a Rules Lawyer in this descussion, we would probably not have reached the absolute and final answer given by Taer.

Somone had to do it :p

Major Defense
14-04-2005, 02:41
Unless someone took the role of a Rules Lawyer in this descussion, we would probably not have reached the absolute and final answer given by Taer.

I thought he was a little vague. So no unit-jumping for poor old Belakor, eh?

Selsaral
14-04-2005, 15:55
Yeah, the only option is to join him with other undivided characters. The only possible benefit i could see to this is that Fog of Death won't affect Be'lakor or his unit. So you could potentially protect a character or two from it, as worthless as that is.

Neknoh
14-04-2005, 16:56
In 4k, get Be'Lakor, 2 Daemonprinces and 1 Exalted Daemon, put them in a unit and ripp away!