PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf unit size

chainer7
15-05-2007, 20:21
After buying the Dwarf army book which I read though which was really good I am thinking of starting a Dwarf army. I am probably going to go for an infantry heavy army with a couple of war machines for support. My question is what size should I make my basic dwarf warrior unit they will be armed with hand weapon and sheilds for maxium armour save any advice.:confused:

The Underdog
15-05-2007, 20:45
It really depends on what opponents you expect to be facing. Generally units of 20-25 work well. The aim is to maintain maximum rank bonus as Dwarfs win combats through static combat resolution more than anything else.

personally, my 2000 point army contains 2 units of 20 warriors (each led by a hero) and I am finding this to be quite effective, although i face very little in the way of significant missile threats (I play mainly chaos and woodies). If you expect to face medium/large amounts of missile fire then you may want to increase this number.

The number one rule with Dwarf unit size is take the fewest you can to ensure you keep maximum rank bonus until a round or two of combat is over.

Bloodknight
15-05-2007, 20:49
Iīd say 25 warriors and 20 of the elite guys work well. Slayers less as these donīt have to win combat.

chainer7
15-05-2007, 21:05
Thanks for the advice I think I will go with either 24 or 25 size units with 20 for my elite units, what size should I put my Slayers in and should I have more than one giant slayer in the unit?.

Court
15-05-2007, 22:13
I use one 19 man HW/Sh with my Rune Hero and one 19 man with my combat hero.

My lord rides his buddies in a 18 unit of Hammerers.

Slayers i do about 15 with a lone Slayer hero roaming around for flanking and such.

All works pretty well combined with my two Handguner unites and various artillery.

Vattendroppe
16-05-2007, 06:24
Personally I'd never field slayers in units greater than 10. Due to their crappy saves you should have them covered enough to not be shot at, manouver (with dwarfs, wtf?) behind terrain and such. In combat they do not really need to worry.

Rirekon
22-05-2007, 14:11
Do you guys field your 20 strong units 4-wide and 5-deep or 5-wide and 4-deep?

Bloodknight
22-05-2007, 14:14
5 wide as 4 wide doesnīt provide rank bonus anymore ;)

Rirekon
22-05-2007, 14:18
Really? Ok maybe I really do need to get the new book, a lot has changed.

Cheers!

Vattendroppe
22-05-2007, 14:22
Really? Ok maybe I really do need to get the new book, a lot has changed.

Cheers!

No that much, but there's some changes that are quite crucial.

E-Dog
22-05-2007, 18:45
I agree, 20 to 25 is good, the Dwarf generals I play against usually take about 20 slayers. Good luck to you!

heretics bane
22-05-2007, 19:14
20 to 25 makes the already subborn dwarfs harder to erase and you dont really take alot of damage from shooting(a good round of shooting might destroy a rank but you'll have plenty more) i use to use 12man unit but realised after playing beastmen that there where a speed bump to most things, as for slayers a healthy 20man unit works for grinding units down

Peril
23-05-2007, 20:24
I never go less than 25 on a non-missile unit (and even on my crossbowmen, I take 20 with shields and standard/musician - no easy vp for you!). You can whether missile fire and magic and engage pretty close to full strength. Add in your own firepower and you have a decided advantage, especially against fear causers.

druchii7
23-05-2007, 20:36
20 is a lot.

in my city, people often use dwarven MSU, with good results.

in general, a big unit to recieve a charge and a 10-12 one to strike on flanks is not a bad idea. slayers or/and hammerers are essential to have a strong flank

Brother Barak
24-05-2007, 08:51
I normally take melee units (like warriors) in units of 20, my slayers in units of 12, and quarrelers between 10 and 20, depending on points. I find if I go much bigger I just start to get in my own way with deployment and movement.

static grass
24-05-2007, 13:11
20 is a lot.

in my city, people often use dwarven MSU, with good results.

in general, a big unit to recieve a charge and a 10-12 one to strike on flanks is not a bad idea. slayers or/and hammerers are essential to have a strong flank

MSU with dwarfs? I am sceptical of this. Dwarfs only have a move of 6" so I am guessing the small unit is often in charge range (espcially if it is cav) so why not charge the small one instead?

I play quite an aggressive dwarf army with no shooting except with the gyrocopter so I am not disagreeing with you, I am curious as to how people pull this off.

I use 5 man regiments of miners to cause havoc behind enemy lines already but they are always open to new lines of employment.