PDA

View Full Version : Extinct C'tan

Apologist
16-05-2007, 13:38
Well, dead I guess. Any names/background etc. for cannibalised/otherwise killed c'tan?

Charax
16-05-2007, 13:38
Nope.

None at all.

Horus0001
16-05-2007, 13:59
there were at least 20, more likely more, could even be some undiscovered/not involved in the necron takeover if you think about it, since they were discovered sucking on stars

Hellebore
16-05-2007, 14:07
Well, there were no specifications on what stars produced C'tan, so it would be safe to surmise they ALL have/had one.

Isn't there something like 200,000,000,000 stars in the galaxy?

Hellebore

Curufew
16-05-2007, 14:18
there were at least 20, more likely more, could even be some undiscovered/not involved in the necron takeover if you think about it, since they were discovered sucking on stars

This sentence sounds as if the C'Tans were starfishes ~_~

Some question I want to ask about the Necrons. How many necrons were there at first? If let's say they only have 1 planet and they went to war with the Old Ones, weren't they get obliterated very easily?

LordXaras
16-05-2007, 14:46

I have often suggested that there must be C'tan in other galaxies, since they were born from the very forces of the universe and thus should be universal creatures.

t-tauri
16-05-2007, 15:41
I'd take a guess that the most powerful were spawned in the largest stars which would cut down the numbers considerably. Most of the Stargods spawned in "little" stars would be weak and brushed aside by the smaller numbers of more potent C'tan from the huge early stars.

TheSonOfAbbadon
16-05-2007, 15:57
Isn't there something like 200,000,000,000 stars in the galaxy?

1-4 hundred billion, though that's after the war in heaven, they may have been more before.

khirsath
16-05-2007, 17:23
I like to think that the C'tan formed/evolved with population III stars (the first ones to form in the Universe). This would mean that there were a whole bunch of them early on. We also know that they somehow get from one star to another to keep feeding. As I see it they just surf on the stellar winds of a late stage star and escape into interstellar space. If the star goes supernova than the C'tan gets to travel much faster as it rides out the wave. Of course they have to survive the explosion intact. Now if the star their feeding on is to small to go supernova than they have only the slow moving planetary nebula to get from star to star.

Maybe some C'tan starve before they reach new feeding grounds. That could mean there are some C'tan in interstellar space. It would make places like the Orion nebula the best place to go find natural C'tan.

If two or more C'tan happen to end up around the same star, which seems possible given the large initial population, how do they interact? Maybe they merge in some fashion. Not the same as the cannibalism that comes from the C'tan who have a necrodermis. I like to think that their minds are spread so thin in their natural state that they are not really sentient.

A large population of early, but weaker, C'tan dwindles due to mergers and deaths. This leads to the small amount of powerful C'tan that are discovered by the necrontyr, who then go about reducing their numbers even more rapidly.

Wraith
16-05-2007, 17:55
No background on the consumed C'tan, there's likely a fair few still floating about the galaxy who never encountered the Necrontyr though, never mind the huge amount of other galaxies in the Universe with the C'tan birthed from those stars...

Luthien
16-05-2007, 19:26
it seems to me that the c'tan were constanly thining their ranks so that only the top dogs are left, the most powerful (dragon) the most terrifying (nightbringer) the most cunning (deciever) and the most insane (outsider) so its probably safe to assume that the other c'tan were reasonably weaker than these Kings of the C'tan, if you catch my meaning

Idaan
16-05-2007, 20:38
it seems to me that the c'tan were constanly thining their ranks so that only the top dogs are left, the most powerful (dragon) the most terrifying (nightbringer) the most cunning (deciever) and the most insane (outsider) so its probably safe to assume that the other c'tan were reasonably weaker than these Kings of the C'tan, if you catch my meaningBut it wasn't so pre-WiH: wasn't the Nightbringer the strongest back then, but he starved because of cut-off power-resources? Also the Outsider went mad after he devoured his brethren - I guess before he was just one of many C'tan.