PDA

View Full Version : help this wood elf player?

kiron
16-05-2007, 17:38
Yeah, i got a little fed up fighting a friend with empire so i have no choice but to ask you for help. I play wood elves atm and i have no clue how to take on my friend's empire list, either at 1000 points or at 2000 points. His lists are respectively:

1000 points:

1 warrior priest-heavy armor,shield,barded warhorse,doomfire ring
1 mage-lvl 2,rod of power
1 mage-lvl 2,wizard's staff
23 spearmen-shield,standard,musician
5 free company detachment
23 swordsmen-musician,standard
5 knightly order-musician
10 crossbowmen

and 2000 points:

1 archlector-armor of meteoric iron,great weapon
1 mage-lvl 2,ring of volans,rod of power
1 mage-lvl 2,wizard's staff,dispel scroll
1 warrior priest-heavy armor,barded warhorse,doomfire ring,shield
23 spearmen-shield,standard,musician
10 crossbowmen
10 handgunners
5 knightly order-musician
11 knightly order-inner circle,standard,musician,war banner
2 great cannons (these stomps my treeman!)
1 steam tank (How do you deal with this!?!?!?)

I constantly get stomped by magic and i can't seem to generate a good enough magic defense vs. this army. The rod of power seems so broken and even the priest's prayer for hammer of sigmar is enhancing his mage's magic damage (re-roll all wounds?!?!) then makes his unit unbreakable. My magic has no chance vs. his defense 5 and 7 dispel dice basic for 1000 and 2000 points respectively. Then he even outnumbers me in unit and starts march blocking and dance around me with his free companies and they don't cause panic!?!?! Anything i have that may have a chance vs. those infantry blocks gets charred by magic as soon as i go within 24". Any suggestions and scroll caddies are way too expensive for 1000 points, just too expensive for wood elves in general 140 points for lvl 1 and 2 scrolls? Any help for a wood elf general. (Btw i'm using my brother's account so you may recognize the username, but i don't play empire).

Sasha
16-05-2007, 18:45
with the big blocks, you probably want some fast stuff to flank it to negate ranks (e.g. wild riders) whilst another unit hits it in the front.

warhawk riders would be good at killing wizards with their hit and run.

his whole army's pretty slow and should be fairly easy to soften up with shooting.

Angus
16-05-2007, 20:54
Alter nobles/lord eats mages for dinner... can move 18" :P

His list looks quite easy to scare away using fear or terror, as nothing exept the arclektor have good Ld, and he cannot cover all units. You also have quite a good number of good anti-magic items at your disposial(the wand of wych elm to name one) Your magic is not made to kill his troops but to aid yours, use tree singing to stop his steemtank and infantery, many small units of dryad should draw down the number of millitiamen quite fast, and a combined charge from two of your units should be able demolish anny unit in his army.

And it would be easier to help you if we knew your list.