PDA

View Full Version : Direction of a failed charge

Asrai Wraith
17-05-2007, 22:04
When the chargers of a failed charge move, what is the correct direction if the 2 units involved are not facing each other directly?
Thanks

T10
17-05-2007, 22:30
Could you be more specific regarding the situation?

Regardless, the charging unit must towards the target unit and is restricted to a single wheel. Usually the most direct approach is to immediately wheel towards the target unit and then move towards it.

-T10

Tutore
18-05-2007, 09:14
The rules say that you must charge in order to let most models fight, both enemy models and yours models. When you fail a charge, wheel the unit to match the above rule, then move. There are hundreds of other small things to add under some circumstances, but you have to be more specific.

DeathlessDraich
18-05-2007, 13:07
The rules state that it must 'move as it would when charging'.

XXXXX
XXXXX
..........YYYYY

1) If (X) charges (Y) and (Y) flees, the direction of the failed charge is deteremined by the 'flee direction'. - no problems

2) If (X) charges (Y) who holds and (X) cannot reach (Y), then (X) could wheel at any time during this failed charge and therefore (X) could be 'manoeuvred' into a favourable position.

I think it is Q(2) that Asrai is addressing.

Atrahasis
18-05-2007, 14:16
I think DD has hit on the nub of the problem - you cannot move exactly as you would on a successful charge because the fact you've failed means that the magnitude of the compulsory wheel to bring models into contact is undefined.

Tutore
18-05-2007, 14:51
Now I understand. In this case we always said that the unit could move also straight ahead. Rules say that in a charge if a conversion/wheel denies a charge then you don't have to wheel. I think that this rule lets you go ahead in a failed charge due to miscalculation.

DeathlessDraich
18-05-2007, 20:22
So would you allow the charging unit to wheel as and when the player sees fit or do you think a dice roll is needed.

If (X) moves straight ahead, it could end up in Y's flank zone and possibly out of Y's LOS - a huge advantage in the next round.

I don't think the rules prevents this. It seems acceptable and may be in the same spirit as the 'tactical charge'.

Atrahasis
18-05-2007, 20:24
Personally, I think that failed charges should either move directly ahead (no wheel) or wheel as if the charge move was infinite (ie enough so that if the charge was guaranteed to succeed the maximum number of models from both sides are engaged).

However, the rules don't say that so "tactical failed charges" are possible.

Tutore
19-05-2007, 14:18
Personally, I think that failed charges should either move directly ahead (no wheel) or wheel as if the charge move was infinite (ie enough so that if the charge was guaranteed to succeed the maximum number of models from both sides are engaged).

However, the rules don't say that so "tactical failed charges" are possible.

I agree. That's what we do. We don't allow tactical failed charges, only ahead or wheel as if the charge move would be successful.