PDA

View Full Version : Can mounted models join infantry?

Nell2ThaIzzay
18-05-2007, 09:19
Self explanatory.

If I have a Vampire Thrall on a Barded Nightmare, can I field him in a unit of Skeletons?

Obviously he'd be reduced to the Skeleton's movement, as the Skeletons won't all of a sudden gain a movement of 7...

forthegloryofkazadekrund
18-05-2007, 09:22
hi, i think they can but anyone can shoot at them as if he is on his own so would not be worth doing really

Braad
18-05-2007, 09:31
No...

I think they changed that in recent edition.
Also mounted characters in an infantry unit cannot be specifically targeted by shooters and the likes.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
18-05-2007, 09:34
learn something new every day, very strange though, lets not shoot at the official looking one on a horse high up, we will shoot at the infantry clustered around instead, hmmmm typical gw

Nell2ThaIzzay
18-05-2007, 09:39
No...

I think they changed that in recent edition.
Also mounted characters in an infantry unit cannot be specifically targeted by shooters and the likes.

No to my question, or to the poster above me?

Sanjuro
18-05-2007, 09:43
Self explanatory.

If I have a Vampire Thrall on a Barded Nightmare, can I field him in a unit of Skeletons?

Obviously he'd be reduced to the Skeleton's movement, as the Skeletons won't all of a sudden gain a movement of 7...

The answer is a hearty Yes! Mounted models in infantry units is a pretty good tactic these days, since they cannot normally be singled out by shooting.

enyoss
18-05-2007, 09:45
No to the poster above :). Mounted characters have always been able to join infantry units. The difference in 7th edition though, is that they may not be targeted separately from the unit they are with.

Although only a small change, the effects are quite far reaching. For example, the Battle Banner got a whole lot better for HE, as you can now put the BSB in an infantry unit and benefit from a decent save (3+).

There are also arguments as to how the subsequent disturbance to ranks is resolved. My lot say that for 20-25mm bases, the cavalry model takes the space of a single model in the first and second ranks. There has been extensive debate about this on this very forum though :).

Cheers,

enyoss

Sanjuro
18-05-2007, 09:54
No to the poster above :). Mounted characters have always been able to join infantry units.

Far be it from me to talk back to Sean Connery on the phone, but I didn't, in fact, say anything about them not being able to before - just that they usually didn't do it (except TVI Empire), on account of becoming nice little bullseye targets.

:)

Nell2ThaIzzay
18-05-2007, 09:56
Far be it from me to talk back to Sean Connery on the phone, but I didn't, in fact, say anything about them not being able to before - just that they usually didn't do it (except TVI Empire), on account of becoming nice little bullseye targets.

He meant the 1st poster to reply to me, not you.

Sanjuro
18-05-2007, 09:59
He meant the 1st poster to reply to me, not you.

Sorry 'bout that, guess one panders to the attention of Sean Connery.

enyoss
18-05-2007, 10:52
It's rude to interrupt when one is on the phone. Just look at his face... an expression of pure annoyance ;).

Completely my fault Sanjuro, I should have edited my post accordingly. Still... I've got my eye on you now son.

Cheers,

enyoss :)

forthegloryofkazadekrund
18-05-2007, 10:58
i know thats the rules but it makes no sense at all, you can shoot at my wolfrider bigboss 1/4 inch away from my goblin unit but not when in it, when its exacually the same hight ect, meh how meh

Raffgim
18-05-2007, 11:08
They can join infantry units.

Shimmergloom
18-05-2007, 19:42
i know thats the rules but it makes no sense at all, you can shoot at my wolfrider bigboss 1/4 inch away from my goblin unit but not when in it, when its exacually the same hight ect, meh how meh

They basically wanted to stop lone mages roaming around the backs of units and ratling guns, but instead just nerfed all on foot characters and characters alone instead.

While I reallly like that less than US 5, non-large target characters can't be targeted inside of units. I think it's a really nice rule and allows you to really let your characters stand out in units now and look great on the table top.

They could have easily allowed that and just said in the rules that you can't target characters of US4 or less within say 3 inches instead of 5 inches of a likewise sized unit of 5 or more models and you'd still have the ratling nerf intact. The lone mage tactic had already been dealt with alot, by eliminating alot of the non-LOS spells and the loss of the power batteries.

Instead they just let you target everything outside of units.

Crazy Harborc
19-05-2007, 02:32
Um, don't forget.....(rulebook pg.72....Characters & Units.....Joining and Leaving Units, second paragraph) "Characters mounted on flyinf creatures cannot join units. Characters mounted on chariots can only join units of chariots."

Beanz!
21-05-2007, 16:17
Naw am not sure you can. Cause he's a mounted unit but jus ask a guy at ur local store.

Sanjuro
22-05-2007, 13:45
Naw am not sure you can. Cause he's a mounted unit but jus ask a guy at ur local store.

I'd suggest trying the rulebook before asking a guy at your local store. :)