PDA

View Full Version : Solid 1000pt Armies?

NaT
18-05-2007, 13:21
Now, i know some armies have a hard time at around that point limit, but i also assume that some armies are more powerfull in smaller games aswell. However, I'm not too sure as to which army falls into what catagory. Examples would be appriciated aswell :)

Obviously the limits at this points level favor some armies over others aswell. No lords, a single rare etc.

forgottenlor
18-05-2007, 13:25
Armies with cheap core units, reasonable heroes, and armies that do well with outalot of special of rare slots seem to do well. Empire and Skaven would definately fall into this category, I have done fairly well with Lizardmen at this level as well, though it is more difficult with elves (especially high elves).

Countblah
18-05-2007, 22:10
My nightgoblins are also doing quite well at a 1000pts. You can drop like 2 units with a 5+ static CR on the table. While alot of armies can only field one at that point lvl. You almost always outnumber your opponent.

Like forgottenlor already said lizardmen do pretty good and are fun to play at 1000pts. You can field a nice balanced army and still win games.

The worst army at 1000pts for me are the Tombkings. Try to get even one incantation past the standard 2 dispel dice is difficult. Or you will have to use 2 liche, which are already 230pts. Your chariots are special, and I always need more specialchoices with TK.

BLAH

mightygnoblar
18-05-2007, 22:30
wood elves tend to do extremely well at low points games as it is perfect for their guerilla style tactic, as they work well in small numbers anyway (dryads in particular come to mind), and the low enemy numbers will usually make it easier to strip ranks with bow fire

NaT
19-05-2007, 00:20
You can drop like 2 units with a 5+ static CR on the table.

+5 static CR... 3 ranks, standard and out number?

What does your 1000 point night gobbo army look like, if you don't mind sharing?

Falcon
19-05-2007, 05:24
I also like WE's in small games. Their manuverability allows them to run cricles around most opponents. It's the bigger games where there's less room to run that becomes more tricky ;-)

pcgamer72
19-05-2007, 06:24
Yeh. Dwarfs, Wood Elves, Skaven all tend to do well at low points. They both have elements that make them great!

Cpt_NinjaPants
19-05-2007, 07:00
Well, from my experiance Lizardfolk and Woodies do the best in 500-1000 point games.

Frankly
19-05-2007, 07:25
Yeah skirmish armies are pretty solid in under 2K, with the lack and rank and file troops taking up space on the battle field F.Cavalry and skirmishers can really use their mobility.

NaT
19-05-2007, 07:26
Well, from my experiance Lizardfolk and Woodies do the best in 500-1000 point games.

Would you be willing to provide some sample army lists?

Even through PM would be awesome ;)

Brother Siccarius
19-05-2007, 14:58
Chosen Chaos Knights (Ugh). Most people and armies don't bring things that could take them down quickly at this low a points, and if you're careful with them you can flank or ignore those things that do.

Cragspyder
19-05-2007, 15:41
What about Dwarfs? They can field a lot of cheap artillery, and their core are cheap and tough as nails.

As a Lizard and TK player, I can confirm both things said above: That Lizardmen do well at 1k points, and TK have a hard time.

I play exclusively 1k points (my model collection doesn't allow for more), and I play Southlands Lizardmen as well. My Tomb Kings normally get thrashed (likely due to my lack of generalship), but my Lizards often do well.

Madfool2
19-05-2007, 16:12
My empire consists of a cheap captain, warrior priest, level 2 wizard with magic item the allows another die to be used (unsure what its called).
20 swordsmen with full command
20 free company
7 knights
10 outriders (2 units of 5)
a mortar.
Used to have 20 handgunners instead of an outrider unit and the warrior priest, but found them to be more of a burden.

I find this list to work well, the warrior priest goes with the free company, armed with a great weapon (i like the model), my captain goes with the swordsmen, also armed with a great weapon (Hammers are good), and i use the knights as a shock unit. The outriders guard the flanks of my force, while the mortar provides some large blast coverage, normally firing against things with high armour saves (High elf spearmen being a good example).

I've used this around 3 times, once against slayers (Lost, but was fun) and twice against high elves, won both times.
The Empire prevails.

Sickel
19-05-2007, 22:46
I find my Bretonnians do very well at 1000 points
Peasants do get cos they are cheap and work well in combat. (I know they are WS 2 but in 1000 point games u will still be hitting on 4s) and Stone throwers are great for taking out any ranked units. In 1000 points theres likely to only one or two of them, quick and easy.

Mordithrie
20-05-2007, 01:44
I play Chaos Undivided and find they are tough to play with under 1000 points. Just finished a tourney where i lost almost all of my games under 1k and lost only one game above 1k (stoopid britonians >.<)

Frankly
20-05-2007, 03:40
It depends what you take of chaos, beast herds are awesome so are MSU minotaurs, chaos hounds are great, so are knights etc, etc.

But, warriors are not good, to many points tired down in units that can't be supported because of the lack of points.

vinush
22-05-2007, 16:32
My standard 1k point Empire army tends to do quite well.

I usually take a Captain with a magic sword, a level 2 wizard, 20 swordsmen with a detachment of 10 halberdiers and a detachment of 5 xbowmen, 20 Halberdiers with 10 swordsmen and 5 xbowmen, a mortar, 10 huntsmen and 15 flagellants.

It usually wins me more games than it loses.

\/ince

Scythe
23-05-2007, 09:16
What about Dwarfs? They can field a lot of cheap artillery, and their core are cheap and tough as nails.

Yup, dwarfs are up there. Their 4 dispel dice also makes sure they are practically immuune to magic at such point levels (stupid fixed dice levels, regardless of points played... grumble). I also rank empire, orcs, skaven and woodies high, as mentioned.

Armies that will not do very well in 1000 pts battles: tomb kings (too many points spend in compulsory characters, too little magic power to overcome even the 2 basic dispel dice each army gets, and your army relies on magic), vampire counts (again heavy magic reliant, which is easy to counter at 1000 pts, plus your army starts crumbling once the enemy kills a T3, 2W unarmoured necromancer), chaos daemons (too expensive troops and characters to field a proper army; mortals also suffer from this in a lesser degree), Ogres (not so much, but having only a handfull of models makes them even more vulnerable as normal).

polymphus
23-05-2007, 09:28
Skaven definately are up there. I can (/do) use four units of 25 clanrats in 1000pts, and an equal number of slaves. Chuck in a battle standard and maybe another chieftain or a warlock with some small skirmisher units and you have 1000pts that can outnumber any other 1000pt army at least 3:1. That kind of thing is hard to beat.

Poly
Out

Frankly
23-05-2007, 11:04
vampire counts (again heavy magic reliant, which is easy to counter at 1000 pts, plus your army starts crumbling once the enemy kills a T3, 2W unarmoured necromancer

If you have a niche list then they can do well, I run a Von Carstein list with 3 thralls with summon wolf, 2 of the thralls have wolf form and GWs. The other thrall is a B.knight unit carrying the drakenof banner.

The rest of the army is made up of dire wolves(including a scouting unit) and bats + a B.Coach sometimes.

Its a highly mobile list build round second turn charges including charges to flanks and rear.

You can make pretty good undead all cavalry lists straight out of the armybook as well.

But, foot slogging undead lists run into trouble.

Scythe
23-05-2007, 11:23
The problem of the all cavalry undead list straight out of the book is that you are still 'wasting' points on your necromancer general, and are still vulnerable if you lose him (sure, black knights have high leadership, but every casualty hurts them badly, and dire wolves dissolve fairly quickly). Not a problem in the variant sylvanian army, I admit.

Frankly
23-05-2007, 11:50
Your right there.

I never tried 3 mounted necro's in a 1k lists before, I wonder how that would go.

All cavalry undead with 4 mounted mages in 2k is ******* evil though.

Scythe
23-05-2007, 12:03
Well, I don't think you would end up with much of an army...

3 necromancers mounted and tooled with magic items will take up half your points in a 1000 pts game...:p

chaos100
23-05-2007, 15:17
hi

in a 1000pt game with vc i would use 2 necro's with some skellitons and ha ve dire wolves for flanking and if there are any points left get a fighty character or a banshee