PDA

View Full Version : Canosaur

forgottenlor
18-05-2007, 14:55
I am thinking of buying a scar veteran on a carnosaur. The model is pretty, but pretty expensive. I have never used a carnosaur, though Lizard men were my first army. I either stuck a scar veteran on a cold one (where he is at least protected in a unit) or gave him the amulet of the Jaguar, or used a Slaan. I imagine though, that the caronsaur might work well in a fast army. When do you use when? At how many points? Is it worth the cost?

Countblah
18-05-2007, 22:57
Maybe you already know this but only an oldblood(lord choice) can ride on a carnosaur.

Im not fond of the slann so I have used a carnosaur a few games. I guess its a story of the all "eggs in one basket". A fully equipped Lord on carno will cost you around 450+pts. Thats already 25% in a 2000pt game. He attracts missiles and killing the carno is easier than you think.
In close combat every opponent knows your lord will be equipped with lots of juice and fancy items. So they will attack your carno.

I think its fun, but you shouldnt think a lord and carno are going to kill everything. He is one mean fighting machine but he won't win from units with hight static CR.
A dragon is always better than a carno and will cost about the same. (IMHO)

Ive had some bad luck when using my carno.
Charging a treeman and doing no wounds. Treeman hits back and kills my carno in one go ( with already 1 wound less). Oldblood breaks and gets run down by treeman.

I think the best option is using him together with skinks on a flank. Let your saurus handle the middle and try to get to the flank of your opponent and let the carno set loose. Watch out for the bloodfrenzy though, it sucks when your carno is pursuing a cheap unit off the table.

guillaume
19-05-2007, 01:18
I have used a carnosaur in every single 2000pts and above game with my lizzies.

The model is indeed awesome, and I dont care how great a slann is, or how much more point efficient 2 lvl 2 priest and 2 saurus heroes are compared to a Scar-vet on a carnosaur, you just cant help but smile when you see the reaction of your opponent when you put down that monster.

It is a monster, so there are some limitations, and certainly once he's tasted blood, it does become frenzy. But that's okay, because so does your scar vet...:) which means that you have an 11 attacks st6 killing machine (with the blade of tzunki).

I generally run my scar vet with blade of Tzunki (+1St and no armour save) and aura of quetzl. The combination runs at 461pts.

I generally only do 1 thing and 1 thing only with this: Chase after heavily armoured cavalry. Hence the no armour save weapons. The aura of quetzl helps with the inivitable: warmachine, and the possible showdown with my opponent's general.

Once I have done that, I'll use it to cause terror and charge sides. As soon as it can go around the table pretty much unbothered, you've won.

The big drawback is that the scarveteran only has 3 wounds and will sometimes die before your carnosaur.

Also dont send your canosaur too quickly in combat. It moves fast at 14" and can pivot around. It doesnt have to wheel but needs an arc when charging. This should allow you to position him properly. The supposed special attack (ultimate predator) is not that useful. If you are sending your carnosaur against any other warhammer monster, you're asking for your general on top of the carnosaur to die.

But take it. I thought it was expensive to buy as well, and was a pain to put together and paint. But after finishing painting it, and basing it...I have used it almost everygame. My slann has been benched, and it is by far my most favourite model.

Dead Man Walking
19-05-2007, 04:31
If your fielding a Carnosaur let me relieve you of some pain pre-game.

You will spend a lot of rounds shirking missile fire by dodging behind terrain. You will not be thundering across the battle field as one would expect. If your playing agaionst Chaos or brits you have far less to worry about but dont expect to actually make it into battle against dwarfs or any army with a gun line.

You can place them in a unit of cold ones and take the magic banner for -1 to hit from missiles to counter being a large target (+1 to hit). But your carno can be picked out by missile fire due to being unit str 6. You also have to worry about stupidity.

Unfortunately in GW games the big beautiful mounts are more of a liability than an advantage. I had hoped they would fix this in the new games. Your better served saving 250 points by placing a lord on a cold one and spending 250 points else where in your army (Kroxigors +1 unit of skinks, another unit of saurus or 4 units of skinks and 1 unit of scout skinks.).

The Carny will be shot at in four ranks (20 gobbo archers that hit on 3 or 4+? No thank you.) and bolt throwers hit easier. Cannons crush either the carny or the rider and you dont want the rider to die and the carny to just stand over the riders body.

Personally I would say if you intend to get the model then use the special character on carny, field cold ones as core and thunder down on your opponent or use it against an opponent who you know fields lots of multiple wound monsters. (Like other lizardmen, just watch out for skinks)

infernus31
19-05-2007, 13:21
I am normally one for using the Slann, as he is so much fun in the magic phase. I have recently used my newly painted Carnosaur though, and together with a Stegadon there isnt much that stands in the way of these when they charge. You just have to be careful (as stated) of missile fie, it really hurts, though for magic missiles, shield of the mirrored pool is hillarious when it works (might be worth mark of the old ones to ensure it does work)

Frankly
20-05-2007, 01:40
The skill with a Carnosaur is getting him into combat, which can be hard against some armies that have alot of shooting.

He's usually better suited to faster lists that have a lot of cavarly and skirmishers. this means a lot of threats are pressuring the opponent at the same time. It also means that the character isn't waiting around for support or to support. And actually thats what this character really is, a big supporting smashy unit, he'll find it hard to break units around his points cost by himself, but once you get the hang of the carnosaur + cavalry + movement, then he can really get some work done throughout the game and really be enjoyable to use.

Is a character riding a carnosaur the best pointed valued character you can choose, no. Is he alot of fun .... yes, most big creatures usually are a heap of fun.

brambleten
26-05-2007, 23:00
i found that the one problem i had with my carnosaur was that he didnt glue together and when he did, he fell apart again :cries:

Frankly
26-05-2007, 23:48
pin it together and also use a bit of green stuff and you won't have any problems.

huitzilopochtli
27-05-2007, 01:21
If your fielding a Carnosaur let me relieve you of some pain pre-game.

You will spend a lot of rounds shirking missile fire by dodging behind terrain. You will not be thundering across the battle field as one would expect. If your playing agaionst Chaos or brits you have far less to worry about but dont expect to actually make it into battle against dwarfs or any army with a gun line.

just an idea...
i dont play with the carno, (GO SLANN!! WOO!) but i'm considering getting one because i want a dino and he's ever so slightly cheaper than the stegadon. plus he looks way better. anyways i wanted to know, with reference to the above, has anyone ever tried using multiple units of skink scouts to charge gunlines and hold them up long enough to get the carnie into combat?
i was thinking of hiding them in an appropriate wood close to the enemy, and get as many charges in at half range as possible, and definitely charging war machines.