PDA

View Full Version : Dwarfs viable?

BlackViper
18-05-2007, 14:57
I've been playing mordheim for a couple of years now with a few friends. I've always had the same skaven warband (not the uber-cheesy build, it does ok). Thing is, I only have a handful of painted models. I often think about switching to Dwarfs, since I have a paited Dwarf army with some great models.

Problem is that Dwarfs look (on paper at least) to be a bit poorly designed for the game. We all know that large numbers of fast, cheap troops armed with 2 knives usually win. Dwarfs are elite, expenisve and slow.

The best idea I can see is to arm them with crossbows and spears were possible - but my spearmen are as yet unpainted (and the point is, obvioulsy to field a painted warband).

Does anyone play them? has anyone tried and given up? are they any good? does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Inquisitor Konig
18-05-2007, 20:24
You can check out my list down the page. I play Dwarfs differently than most people. You are right, they are slow and elite and expencive... but that is just on paper. In games they get mobbed and overrun and often cannot grab the loot if the objective requires moving. However, after a two or three games they really start to come alive! They make more money than anyone else in the game so it isnt hard buying more guys later. Once they start getting T5 and a couple other skills their Heros never die. Ive had a noble stand up to wave after wave of Rat Men armed just with a dagger and club over and over again. As long as you stick all your guys together and rely on how hard it is to kill them they do ok. I like pistols and Hired Swords so that is what I take. Blunder Buss on the Engineer gets a 22" shot (requires a skill to use)! If the enemy tries to gang up on you BAM! You can hit 4 or 5 guys easy. Ive played Drarfs against a lot of stuff and they hold their own. You will have a lot of trouble with them for the first 2 games but then they shine!

BlackViper
19-05-2007, 08:26
Thanks for your reply. I don't see your list though (do I have to click on something).

On the occasions that I've looked at the dwarf list, I've tried maximizing troops by taking only warriors or only thunderers (a mix seems too dangerous). Taking only crossbows (no guns) and very few frills. Is this a good idea?

Heroes are expensive - which would you say are better, engineers or slayers?

I thought about taking a hired slayer just to beef up the numbers at a slightly reduced cost. Does this make any sense? Shame you can't take the dwarf treasure hunter too!

Inquisitor Konig
19-05-2007, 15:26
Here is the link to my list: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82927

I would say max out on Heros but keep the "frills" to a minimum to begin with. Also do not take Warriors to begin with either because they are too expencive, Beardlings are just as hard to kill and WS3 is average for a starting warband. Personaly I only take one crossbow to start with and I do not even give it to the Engineer. I just like pistols and it alows me to keep most of my men close together.

Now this is just me, I would say you could either max on troops or Hired Swords. I like Hired Swords because Drarfs are rich and can pay for them. Plus if you have very few Henchmen and lots of Heros then you will be making that much more money.

You cannot take a hired Slayer because only Mercenaries can take them. Although I think you could take a Slayer Pirate (one of my fav. Hired Swords). Figure out the best Hired Swords for your style of play and take those. I sudjest: Pit Fighter, Tilian Marksman, Bounty Hunter

Catferret
20-05-2007, 00:46
The Tilean Marksman is awesome. He doesn't benefit from the Engineer's improved range ability but he doesn't need it.

Don't buy any Gromril weapons. Don't buy armour except Helmets. Buy maximum Heroes from the beginning. Beardlings for the rest of your gold.

BlackViper
20-05-2007, 08:24
Ok - here's the list I dreamed up yesterday (apologies if I've got it a little wrong, I don't have it in front of me!)

1 Noble + 2-handed weapon
1 Engineer + Handgun
5 Beardlings + axe and shield
2 Thunderers + crossbow

1 hired Slayer + 2-handed weapon
(I'll check the rules, didn't realise dwarfs couldn't have them, and I can't remember whether hired swords add to wyrdstone searching)

We use Warhammer rules for our weapons (2-handed weapons strike 1st on charge, weapon and shield is 5+ save) and although I'd love some spears, my spears are unpainted :-(

My intention is to use as many skills as possible (to begin with) on accademic skills such as wyrdstone hunter and haggle. I think I'm gonna feel the pinch moving from skaven (6 heroes) to dwarfs (4 max)!

Catferret
20-05-2007, 09:23
Dwarves start with 4 but can get 6 through "The lad's got talent".

Handguns suck, take a crossbow. They can shoot every turn.

BlackViper
20-05-2007, 13:23
Are handguns move or fire AND shoot every other turn? Didn't realise that (should probably re-read some of those rules before I finalise the warband!) Cheers for pointing that out.

I've never rolled a lad's got talent in my life!

Inquisitor Konig
20-05-2007, 17:35
Put all your Dwarf Henchmen in different groups of their own. That way after the second game they all get a chance to roll 'lads got tallent'. Hired Swords do not count for Wyrdstone. Also you really need helmets on your Heros. If they get stunned their high toughness doesnt help them! Id also say if you give the Engineer a crossbow then you only need one other Thunderer, unless yuo really like crossbows. They are just really expencive and takes away from how many dwarfs you have in CC. I also think you should give your Nobel a pistol. BS4 is sweet and he might kill someone before CC starts...

BlackViper
21-05-2007, 09:19
Thanks, those are some good suggestions. My mates might be opposed to me putting my hirelings into different groups though! I fully intend to get helmets for everyone I can - but I wanna start with as many warm bodies on the field as possible. I'd love some pistols, but I'm fairly strict with my own WYSIWYG, and I don't have any nice models with pistols :-(

Out of interest - slayers don't look that good on paper, most of their skills aren't as good as regular combat skills. I'd only take them to make up as many heroes as possible. Are they any good?

Lezta
21-05-2007, 09:42
Slayer's aren't awful. The lack of helmets (until you give them the appropriate dwarf skill...) really hurts them though. Most of their abilities are pants though - they require the Slayer to be on the charge which, 9/10 he isn't going to be.

If he DOES get it though, it ends up being devastating.

Inquisitor Konig
21-05-2007, 23:09
Master of Blades and 2 Dwarf Axes makes the Slayer not need a helmet. Add T5 and Resilent to the Slayer and he becomes one of the hardest to kill Monsters in the game.

I played a one off game with some friends of mine. We used the optional rules that allow you to buy skills and stat increases. It was a 4 way fight so there were lots of models on the field and some really stacked Possessed... My friend fielded 4 maxed out Dwarf Heros... thats it! He won the fight, and needless to say he didnt loose a single model!

That is an extreme case but it shows how tough Drarfs can get.

Lord 0
25-05-2007, 04:34
Dwarves can get tough, especially if they have gromril armour and pavises under the old rules. Toughness five with 2+ armour saves *shudder*. Well, for the non-slayers anyway.

Happily, my friend only managed to get three of his dwarves to that point before the rules changed.

Inquisitor Konig
26-05-2007, 03:52
what rules changes are you talking about?

BLloyd607502
12-06-2007, 16:13
Dwarves in the right hands are utterly Brutal and a match for any single band and sometimes a alliance if played right.
Start with a few sets of Gromril as its cheaper to start with it.
For your first few battles just try and run as much as possible and let your enemies win. This will let you build up money to vast amounts. Dwarves are all about good equipment and strength in small numbers.
I've seen my friends band of about 6 dwarves take and hold a position against a alliance of every other player in the group (about 6 war bands) for about 5 turns :eek: !

Lander
13-06-2007, 02:08
The Arabian merchant gets you even more gold! And an Ogre adds speed!