PDA

View Full Version : Question about fielding Special Characters

Nell2ThaIzzay
18-05-2007, 21:01
I just have a question about the legality of certain special characters.

In question, are characters such as Ikit Claw, or Hemmreich Kemmlar, etc...

I play VC, and my friend plays Skaven. I don't know all of his special characters, but I know in my book, characters like Zacharias The Everliving are legal characters and do not require opponent's permission.

But my friend has been known to field characters such as Ikit Claw, Deathmaster Snitckt, and other Skaven special characters. I know that not all of them are in the book, particularly Ikit Claw.

Now, I was always under the assumption that if it wasn't in the book, that it required opponent's permission. But I know that the Hellcannon of Chaos isn't in the Hordes of Chaos book, but does not need opponent's permission.

I always thought that Ikit Claw, or in my case, Hemmrich Kemmlar, Krell, etc... needed permission to field. But my friend says that they are completely legal, just additions made after the book was already released.

So are these out-of-the-book characters, that have rules for them on the GW website, just as legal as the in-the-book characters like Zacharias The Everliving?

Or do they actually require opponent's permission?

Even if they do need permission, I'm not exactly sure I'd -deny- my opponent from using them, because while I might hate characters like Ikit Claw, I hate to be the guy that says "No, you CAN'T play that". I just think it takes a lot of fun out of the game to do that.

But whether or not I'd deny my opponent permission, I've always just been curious if opponent permission is even a factor in this case.

Crazy Harborc
19-05-2007, 01:16
He had to get the stats and special rules for those special characters, in a WD or on a GW the company, official site. Ask to read them, the printouts or magazine articles.;)

Until 7th edition came out, you asked opponents......care if I use a special character??

19-05-2007, 01:19
well some out of book charactres are "officail" those in the old annuals and chronicles (Everqueen of HE comes to mind)

anyways most out of book charachters are "unofficial" those that are tend to have a note stating that they are. but I like you would let them playany as long as they have the stats and he don't mind if I do too.

Nell2ThaIzzay
19-05-2007, 06:00
He had to get the stats and special rules for those special characters, in a WD or on a GW the company, official site. Ask to read them, the printouts or magazine articles.;)

Until 7th edition came out, you asked opponents......care if I use a special character??

He does have the rules and stats from the official GW website, and I have also downloaded the special rules for my special characters as well, although I haven't used them yet.

That is why I ask if they require opponent's permission or not, because there are official GW rules for them, they just aren't in the book.

Crazy Harborc
21-05-2007, 02:56
The special characters past and present all had official rules. In the past, their stats/special rules/PDF files contained statements to ask your opponent for permission....or words to that effect.

IMHO......using the Empire and Orcs and Goblins 7th Edition armybooks as examples......The special characters are listed IN the armybooks with the rest of that armie's choices....for Lords an Heroes.;)

him_15
21-05-2007, 06:59
Most army book usually state that you need to ask for oppenent permission to use any special character out of the book. Since those characters are not totally balanced. However, most of us play this game aiming for fun, so wouldn't really deny anyone to use.

Sherlocko
21-05-2007, 08:00
Do they? I only own the HoC and BoC-books and none of them states that you need the opponents permission. Even tough, where I come from, you need to opponents permission to play a match. :)

JonnyTHM
22-05-2007, 04:43
There are no such warnings on characters in army books.

Characters only released on the website do include a 'not heavily playtested, get permission' caveat.