PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Wood Elves needs rating

TheTrueSloth
19-05-2007, 09:08
Hey guys

Right, just been to a tournament and wanted to revise my 1500 woodies for another potential tournament. Comments?

Heroes:

Noble - 157pts
Longbow, Great Eagle, Spear, Hail of Doom Arrow

Branchwraith - 140pts
Lvl 1, Cluster of Radiants

Core:

10 Glade Guard - 120pts

10 Glade Guard - 120pts

8 Dryads - 96pts

8 Dryads - 96pts

8 Dryads - 96pts

5 Glade Riders - 129pts
Musician

5 Glade Riders - 129pts
Musician

Special:

3 Warhawks - 120pts

3 Warhawks - 120pts

9 Wardancers - 176pts
Blade Singer

Total - 1499pts

1500pts of wood elves, 7 core choices and 11 "units" (counting characters) to deploy :eek: I have to start picking smaller armies!

Ok, so I lost the Wild Riders from this list. They were eating up a lot of points and TBH I think I would like to try out more dryads and warhawks in their place. Though would it better to lose 3 warhawks and 8 dryads for 6 wild riders with FC and warbanner?

Toodles

RavenBloodwind
20-05-2007, 01:06
Overall I like the list as it's similar to what I regularly run.

Personally I find a single unit of warhawks pleny and I don't use wild riders.

As to your question of sacrificing warhawks and dryads to get wild riders, I vote 'no' (but that's just me, some people swear by their wildriders).

I'd entertain two other ideas:
drop one unit of warhawks and split your wardancers into two 7 man units with champ and musician.
drop a unit of warhawks for a unit of waywatchers. the forward deployment will do most of what the warhawks could and people tend to be frightened by them and their mystical (but usually harmless) killing blow ability.

god octo
20-05-2007, 17:32
I would have to say that I would drop 1 unit of dryads and warhawks and get the wild riders. They are an excellent addition to most armies, especially yours, as they add more fast and strong hitting troops. With your eagle noble, 2 units of glade riders the the unit of warhawks, you have enough units to support any charges they make. The normal cause of bad performance from wild riders is that they are not supported and are sent off alone. There is no chance of that here.

Apart form that, I really like the list and I hope you do well in your tournie!

Franco
20-05-2007, 18:08
I find that tree kin would be good. Maybe taking out a unit of dryads and warhawk riders and putting in 3 Tree Kin!!!
Dunno if that would work though.
Wild riders are good so maybe them instead!!!

pcgamer72
20-05-2007, 18:44
I'm not a huge fan of Warhawk Riders, and I definitely suggest not taking two units. They fly, which is great, but with all the other fast units in your army, I don't think you need to put too much emphasis on that. I would drop the Wardancers to 8 max, because they shouldn't get shot at too much if you use them correctly and you aren't going to get more than 7 in combat the vast majority of the time. Wild Riders would be great in your list, imo.

Be Afraid
20-05-2007, 18:59
all trees are pretty good, my 1500 point army is only them, i just use 9 treekin( 3 units ) a treeman,a brachwraith with the + 1 dispeldice sprite and 50 dryads !

TheTrueSloth
20-05-2007, 21:20
Hey guys

Righto, couple of things:

1) I LIKE that treeman army! I can't believe that is 1500pts! WOW!!!

So got to do a tree army at some point to freak people out though. Hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea ;)

2) I only have 9 wardancers 'cos I had 8 and wanted to fill some points. I agree 8 normally works very well and my ones rarely ever get shot and never get hurt to date by magic, though when they do start to die its' nice just to have that extra one to fight with

3) the warhawks - I like warhawks a lot. I can see where everyone is coming from, and Wild Riders are a pretty good unit. I just didn't have much luck with them in a tourney even with support where as the warhawks did very well, so I was wondering about 2 units. still, no harm in asking eh?

Having read everyone's comments, I think the Wild Riders ought to see another game to see how they go, just to see if it was me or the dice, and so on. They have great stats mind, and some great rules. Plus there is a flying NOble to boot. Will be interesting to see how they do.

Cheers guys!

Toodles

Kvar
20-05-2007, 21:30
I would also like to add to what you've said Sloth, whats your experience like using Warhawk Riders then, the models have always interested me but Ive never thought about using them, what do you use them for? how many?

TheTrueSloth
21-05-2007, 10:08
Wow, someone asking me about a unit :eek:

Lol. I have to say I find them very effective actually. The flying movement is pretty good, better than the bonus over the fast cavalry IMO. The fact they can fly over the enemy is in many respects a winner in their own right, as you can set yourself up to get charges on the enemy that sometimes fast cavaalry just can't get.

My biggest issue is that they can't take a musician. If they could take a musician I think I would be laughing.

Damage wise they're not devastating. 2 attacks per model on 3 models really isn't that much sometimes. Don't get me wrong, with WS 4 all round and S4 on the charge, they have enough killing power to fulfill part of their roles, but they don't have the damage potential of say a unit of dryads.

warhawks really are just support troops, more so than most other elements to the army. they don't have the CC killing power of many of the other units. they don't pack as much firepower as even glade riders, and 3 of them cost as much as 5 riders. But I'd still take warhawks.

Right now though I am only running 3, but I would like to run more. 3 is very useful, I can't argue with that. But people in my experiences tend to pay them a lot of attention early on, which is why I am thinking of running 6.

I tend to use them mainly for ridding myself of annoying war machines and ambushing wizards primarily (as you can angle 2 hawks to target one wizzie easily), as they have the flying movement to do so. Second use they tend to try and charge off flying units like Harpies and the like to stop them ambushing my glade guard.

I try to tag team them with my Noble on Eagle with Hail of Doom Arrow if I can help it (not vital though), as he has a higher strength and attacks on a smaller frontage to assist them. And the Doom Arrow is nice for ridding myself of certain units, especially Spirit Hosts. He also provides them with a better leadership, as Ld 8 isn't great for rallying on should they flee.

They're great at "worrying" units too. Warhawks have the movement to get behind the enemy units, and its' great when they do. They can turn to face the warhawks, risking the fact that the wood elves are charging up behind them so they don't get a guaranteed rear charge from the hawks at least. Or they can stay as they are and risk taking a combined front/rear charge in the same turn. My fave trick to wind my friends up is to position the hawks to make it looks like I'm going to rear charge the enemy, and then they turn to prepare for the charge, fly off and charge something else. Leaves the ranked unit/s out of combat for yet another turn, and it means you can pin someone else down. You'd be surprised how many people can fool for that.

Their final use IMO is actually as rank breakers. If I can get a decent unit to fight on the front (dryads, wardancers, e.t.c) then with the warhawks flanking them (very easy to do with flying movement) and ignoring their rank bonus, I can normally inflict enough wounds to break them on the charge and run them down.

If you are going to use them, they'll cost a few points but unless you want to field 2 MSU units (like I'm thinking of doing) then I'd reccomend 4 with champion. The champion provides the extra attack (the more the merrier) and hat way if you should lose a warhawk from shooting or CC you still have enough to break ranks.

Though how could I fail to mention Hit and Run? WOW! The look on people's faces as I've slapped my hawks into combat, only to pull them out ready to charge again is hilarious!

Overall I have to say I like them more than Wild Riders (horrors!) for their flexibility and uses. Glade riders are sweet, but they just can't pin down the war machines or the like as fast as the warhawks can. But they won't win most battles, but they can certainly help to turn the tide of things.

Just my opinions though

Toodles

eleveninches
21-05-2007, 12:26
drop the warhawks and get some treemen. Wood elves move through trees a lot, so it might be better tactically to drop the eagle from your noble, as he then is much less of an obvious target to the enemy, who might not even spot him creeping up through the trees

god octo
21-05-2007, 13:07
I don't think that a treeman would be a good investment of points in a smaller list like this. at nearly 300 points, he will be a 5th of your total points and Cannon fodder for shooting. Plus, what eleveninches is suggesting would mean that you drop up to 3 of your fast moving units for 1 model. I don't think that is worth it.

eleveninches
21-05-2007, 21:43
I don't think that a treeman would be a good investment of points in a smaller list like this. at nearly 300 points, he will be a 5th of your total points and Cannon fodder for shooting. Plus, what eleveninches is suggesting would mean that you drop up to 3 of your fast moving units for 1 model. I don't think that is worth it.

I was talking about those trees in the special choices, not the charachters. I cant remember their names, as i am not a wood elf player, i just keep losing to treekin/dryad armies

TheTrueSloth
22-05-2007, 09:29
Hey guys

Just had a thought, is it me or can you "only" fit in 9 treekin, treeman, branchwraith and 45 dryads?

Anyway, I think Eleveninches meant treekin. I can see where he is coming from they are pretty tough.

I was thinking about either a Lvl 3 wizzie with Wand of the Wych Elm or a treeman for 2000pts. I think it might be the wizzie though...

anyway, cheers for the comments guys!

Now I'm off to think about a tree army...

Toodles

TheTrueSloth
25-05-2007, 23:38
Well I have to say that after the game I played tonight, I want to try out the 1500pts of woodies with 2 units of warhawks. Massacred the dwarves in 4 turns, and it was LOVELY. I think though after that and my recent experiences with both warhawks and wild riders, I'm going to leave the Wild Riders out for a bit (horrors!) and try out more hawks and dryads in their place to keep up the faster, more numerous units. Should be a laugh ;)

Edit: Ok, well I just tried out the Wild Riders again Vs Bloodletters. Pretty decent, they didn't do so well 'cos I fluffed a huge amount of attacks. But Again the Warhawks actually performed far better for me. Surprisingly.

Toodles

popisdead
01-06-2007, 21:53
Give your noble, the Helm of the Hunt, Light Armour and a Sheild for a 4+ save as he's on a monster so he can be picked off,. and has no armour.

Musicians really help Glade Guard. I don't think you'll need two units of Glade Riders, or two units of Warhawks. If you're theming that way take the Dawnspear, it'll really help on combined charges.

drop a wardancer and change the champion into a musician.

Looks good.