PDA

View Full Version : Witch Hunter Warband -- any advice?

carik
19-05-2007, 15:00
Looks like my group is going to start playing tomorrow, so I suppose I'd better pick a warband...

Of the ones I've been toying with, this is my favorite:

Witch Hunter Captain - dagger, crossbow, hammer, buckler

Witch Hunter - Dagger, crossbow, sword

Witch Hunter - dagger, crossbow, mace, buckler

Witch Hunter - dagger, crossbow, 2xhammers

Warrior Priest - dagger, hammer, buckler

2xFlagellants - Flails

5xWarhounds
----------------------------
Total: 500GC

Tactics-wise, I'd obviously hope to keep the witch-hunters back in good firing positions and let them shoot. Hopefully, each has enough weaponry to keep him going if (when) it comes down to close combat. Meanwhile, the WP, the Flagellants and the hounds can run forward (probably at the WP's best speed -- no sense in leaving him behind!) and take out anything that's been shot down, or anything that's trying to hide inside buildings.

Advancement: Obviously I'd like to replace the hounds with more flagellants as the dogs get killed off... maybe keep a couple for the high speed (and variety of models!), but mostly concentrate on flagellents. I'm not overly impressed by the zealots, so I probably won't take any; at most, I'd take one or two, and give them bows and spears. Depending on what improvements the captain and his hunters get, their skills will focus on either shooting or close combat: if they've got WS5 and S5, it'd be pretty stupid to make them an archer! Barring a situation like that, though, I'll intend for them to take shooting skills and kit them out for ranged.

So my only real remaining question is: are the bucklers worth it? I took them for the parry, but I could switch all the clubs for swords, and save a few points that could go.... somewhere.

Any other advice would be appreciated: I'm expecting to face undead, and either rats or greenskins. Yipe!

TKitch
21-05-2007, 00:00
it's a good starting setup.

the only thing I'd change: Flails to 2H weapons. you want the Str bonus every turn.

carik
21-05-2007, 13:57
You're right... I think I'll have to go modify those minis, since they're armed with flails at the moment. Though the first turn only thing worked for me last night (no-one lasted more than one turn against them!) that was pretty much a fluke, and I probably shouldn't count on it happening again.

carik
21-05-2007, 14:02
Also: I played my first two games last night, using this list. Since none of us had ever played before, we decided to run a day of practice games before starting a campaign. A few thoughts:

Armour really is pretty worthless. I'm glad I didn't take any.

The parry rules are too weak, and I'm not convinced a buckler or sword is actually worth the cost, at least to start with. Out of three games, we didn't see a single successful parry.

Crossbows are worth their weight in GC. Taking down your opponent's leader from the far side of the board is priceless. (Of course, so is the look on his face when you miss four close-range shots in a single turn...)

carik
29-05-2007, 16:15
it's a good starting setup.

the only thing I'd change: Flails to 2H weapons. you want the Str bonus every turn.

Hmm... so before altering the minis, I looked more closely at the rules. Since I'll mostly be playing against armies that are no faster than mine (undead with no wolves, dwarves, and so on), I should usually be getting the charge. In that case, I'd rather have flails -- striking first with S6 seems better than hitting second with S6 and no armour.

Anyone have a good argument against this?

Karlon
29-05-2007, 20:48
The only advice I'll give is to wait for the platic Flagellant box and make some amazing Witch Hunter models from that.

Good starting band.

carik
29-05-2007, 21:52
I'll almost certainly be doing that, yes. 8-) For our current games, I found a pack of some sort of Brettonians... battle pilgrims, maybe? I've modified two of the three to carry flails, and the third (and least crazed looking) has a hammer and buckler. I actually kind of like them, though I'll probably replace the flagellants once the plastics come out.

Sauron90
31-05-2007, 10:14
Just wanted to say I love your warband. Actualy with the awsome plastic fleglants im considering starting a Witch Hunter warband if I can convice people at my club to take up Mordheim. getting tired of my Human Mercinarys who are getting trashed by everything except Zombies.

Count Sinister
05-10-2007, 19:14
Looking forward to adding to my warband with the plastic flagelants as well. Nice models, and some cool extra bits to convert the rest of a witch-hunters warband - or at least to decorate the bases. Looks like a good roster too, Carik. The warhounds are very useful - you can use them (because of their high movement) to keep the enemy away from you until you can charge with your combat heavy hitters in support (flagelants!). In general, I try to equip my starting heroes with a sword and a club, rather than the buckler. That way, you get an extra attack AND a parry chance. You're right about crossbows, though - they're excellent!

jimbo
24-10-2007, 11:54
It's a nice warband but I'd get rid of two hounds and add two more Flagellants, just for the extra power, you know? Any way just my advice ;)

StefDa
28-10-2007, 23:26
[QUOTE=carik;1575663]Armour really is pretty worthless. I'm glad I didn't take any.

The parry rules are too weak, and I'm not convinced a buckler or sword is actually worth the cost, at least to start with. Out of three games, we didn't see a single successful parry.[QUOTE]

Yes, armour is relatively useless, unless you can combine it.
Well, a buckler AND a sword is cool, letting you re-roll failed parry rolls.

onelostchicken
07-11-2007, 11:06
[QUOTE=carik;1575663]Armour really is pretty worthless. I'm glad I didn't take any.

The parry rules are too weak, and I'm not convinced a buckler or sword is actually worth the cost, at least to start with. Out of three games, we didn't see a single successful parry.[QUOTE]

Yes, armour is relatively useless, unless you can combine it.
Well, a buckler AND a sword is cool, letting you re-roll failed parry rolls.

buckler and sword?

that doesnt let u re-roll a failed parry--->see the mordheim rule book page 24

"Note that you may parry only one attack in each hand-to-hand combat phase"

bc99
08-11-2007, 04:18
buckler and sword?

that doesnt let u re-roll a failed parry--->see the mordheim rule book page 24

"Note that you may parry only one attack in each hand-to-hand combat phase"

Check page 21 of the rulebook:
If your model is armed with a buckler and a sword, you may re-roll any failed parries once. A model armed with two swords can still only roll once.

So yes, having a buckler and a sword is a good combo if you want to try for the parry. Just hope your enemy doesn't roll a 6!