PDA

View Full Version : Hordes of Chaos 2000 points

Mulceber
20-05-2007, 01:24
Okay, I'm new to Warhammer Fantasy. For the last few years, I've been playing loyalist space marines, and so now for my first foray into Fantasy I thought I'd take a walk on the dark side and go with a Hordes of Chaos list. Feel free to tear it apart.;)

Exalted Champion (188 points): Chaos Rune sword, shield, barded chaos steed (attached to Chosen Chaos Knights regiment).

Chosen Knights of Chaos (6 men)(290 points): 1 upgraded to champion.

Sorcerer of Chaos (80 points).

Warriors of Chaos (15 men)(249 points): champion, standard bearer, all w/ shields.

Warriors of Chaos (15 men)(249 points): champion, standard bearer, all w/ shields.

Warriors of Chaos (15 men)(254 points): mark of Tzeentch, champion, standard bearer.

Marauders of Chaos (15 men)(105 points): all w/ flails.

2 Chariots of Chaos (120 points each).

Warhounds of Chaos (10 hounds)(60 points).

Chaos Furies (15 daemons)(225 points).

Spawns of Chaos (2 spawns)(120 points)

Total: 2000 points

How is it? -Mulceber

Makaber
20-05-2007, 01:29
Well, unfortunately blocks of Chaos Warriors don't work very well. Even with their good stats, they don't inflict enough wounds to make up for their lack of static Combat Resolution. Buying them full ranks means the regiment comes out extremely expensive and you'll probably end up outnumbered.

The quick fix is to replace the Chaos Warriors with solid blocks of Marauders instead, 25 in each regiment. Use Chaos Warriors as support, in small units with wide frontage and hard hitting weaponry (halberds or additional hand weapons). These can also be chosen.

Mulceber
20-05-2007, 05:06
Okay, I don't have the Chaos army book handy (lent it to a friend:wtf: ) so I just threw this together based on what I remember:

Exalted Champion (188 points): Chaos Rune sword, shield, barded chaos steed (attached to Chosen Chaos Knights regiment).

Chosen Knights of Chaos (6 men)(290 points): 1 upgraded to champion.

Sorcerer of Chaos (80 points).

Warriors of Chaos (10 men)(162 points): champion, all w/ shields.

Warriors of Chaos (10 men)(162 points): champion, all w/ shields.

Marauders of Chaos (25 men)(175 points): all w/ flails.

2 Chariots of Chaos (120 points each).

Warhounds of Chaos (10 hounds)(60 points).

Chaos Furies (15 daemons)(225 points).

Spawns of Chaos (2 spawns)(120 points)

Is that generally what you meant by blocks of marauders, and is it better? -Mulceber

Ps. I'll be adding the halbards to the warriors later, I don't remember what they cost.

Makaber
20-05-2007, 12:02
It would be a good idea to give at least two of the Marauder blocks hand weapons and shields. Also, give them full command. The one with flails can be trimmed down a little, two large "anvil" blocks should suffice. Ideally, the flail block could be ditched completely and you can get two units of Marauder Horsemen in their place, which have greater mobility and hit just as hard anyway. Or, you could trim it down and try to free up the points for a Battle Standard Bearer, which I think could come in handy.

Other than that, it's starting to look okay. The pit trap a lot of Chaos generals fall in, is to go for Chaos Warriors instead of Marauders, presumably because of "stat blindness" and the cooler miniatures, but they really don't fit the same role. So once you're clear of that, it mostly comes down to personal preference and playing skill.

Mulceber
21-05-2007, 19:17
Okay, I just got back my chaos army book, so here's the refined list, although it's not quite complete. I want to make it an archaeon's horde list and thus I'll be taking a hell-cannon

Lord of Chaos (298 points): barded chaos steed, sheild, runesword. (attached to Chosen knights of chaos squad)

Chosen Knights of Chaos (5 men)(265 points) standard bearer, champion.

Warriors of Chaos (10 men)(190 points): halbards, champion, standard bearer, musician.

Warriors of Chaos (10 men)(190 points): halbards, champion, standard bearer, musician.

Marauders (25 men)(175 points): shields, standard bearer, musician, chieftain.

Marauders (25 men)(175 points): shields, standard bearer, musician, chieftain.

Marauder Horsemen (10 men)(170 points): chieftain, standard bearer, spears, musician.

Marauder Horsemen (10 men)(170 points): chieftain, standard bearer, spears, musician.

Total: 1633 points

And then the remaining 367 points I'll be spending on a hellcannon of chaos...I may have to drop something though, I'm not sure. I don't have the storm of chaos book yet. So how's this list? -Mulceber

Makaber
22-05-2007, 01:15
Let's see ... You could probably drop the banners on the Warriors and Horsemen, as they're not really expected to go toe-to-toe with regiments anyway, they're better as support to the Marauders. Flails would be better on the Horsemen, since ... well they're better. The Horsemen regiments don't have to be that large, five should be enough. They're just there for the light cav distruptive element and a little extra punch when needed.

With the points saved, I think either a Sorcerer or a Chariot would contribute a lot to the list. The Sorcerer because you could use the magic defense. In my eyes, a chaos list absolutely needs some fast, hard hitting elements to put pressure on your opponent and force him to react. Without, he can more or less dictate the course of the battle. Your only fast unit is the Chosen Knights, which fill the bill but are very vulnerable to magic. Anything that ignores armour saves will really ruin their day. A Sorcerer with some scrolls can keep them safe(r) until they're in combat.

A chariot would basically add another fast element to the army, for the reasons mentioned above.

I'm a bit unsure about the Hellcannon, actually. It can be really good, but it's also very expensive. You might be better off getting a little magic and some chariots in there. Then again, the Hellcannon is only a single model and is a blast to paint up as a centrepiece, so you could always just get more miniatures and try a couple of variants of the basic list.

Mulceber
22-05-2007, 03:48
Let's see ... You could probably drop the banners on the Warriors and Horsemen, as they're not really expected to go toe-to-toe with regiments anyway, they're better as support to the Marauders.

Support...what type of support? like as a counter-charge? archer support?

Whatever the reason, I've removed the standards, and the list now stands with 415 points left to spare.

With the points saved, I think either a Sorcerer or a Chariot would contribute a lot to the list.

Yeah, I was thinking that since Chaos has some of the best magic in the game, it would be a shame to waste that potential. To that end, maybe the following would be a good unit?

Aspiring Champion (205): Mark of Tzeentch, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Dispel Scroll.

And then a Chariot of Chaos, which leaves me 90 points left to play with. Any suggestions? -Mulceber

Mulceber
22-05-2007, 03:48
Let's see ... You could probably drop the banners on the Warriors and Horsemen, as they're not really expected to go toe-to-toe with regiments anyway, they're better as support to the Marauders.

Support...what type of support? like as a counter-charge? archer support?

Whatever the reason, I've removed the standards, and the list now stands with 415 points left to spare.

With the points saved, I think either a Sorcerer or a Chariot would contribute a lot to the list.

Yeah, I was thinking that since Chaos has some of the best magic in the game, it would be a shame to waste that potential. To that end, maybe the following would be a good unit?

Exalted Champion (225): Mark of Tzeentch, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Dispel Scroll.

And then a Chariot of Chaos, which leaves me 70 points left to play with. Any suggestions? -Mulceber

MarcoPollo
22-05-2007, 04:24
70 pts hmm...

That's one unit of 5 war hounds and 1 nurgling base.

I think that you should also put light armor on your marauders. The harder they die, the better they perform.

Since you have some slower elements, the nurglins will be able to keep up.

Mulceber
22-05-2007, 05:14
Good idea! Adding the light armor to the marauders kills 50 points (and makes them tougher of course) and with the remaining 20 points, I can buy a spell familiar for the sorcerer. Good choices? -Mulceber

chaos100
23-05-2007, 17:38
hi

i think you should get a lord on a dragon, 1 large block of chaos warriors two units of marauders (20 to 30 in size), some chariots to protect your flanks and some wizards for magic and scrap the knights because they are a prime target and will get battered.

Sasha
23-05-2007, 19:29
are you deliberately avoiding any daemons or beasts? 'cos there are lots of useful and fun special and rare options with them.

MarcoPollo
24-05-2007, 06:45
Very true. Beasts and demons can really help tailor an army to your finer tastes.

Mulceber
25-05-2007, 04:53
Well, if I dropped the exalted champion down to an aspiring champion, and took away the eye of tzeentch, and dropped the chariot, I could buy a 10-man pack of furies which could fill the same fast-attack role as the chariot. What about that? -Mulceber

MarcoPollo
25-05-2007, 04:58
You don't need 10 furries. The job can be done by 8 fairly well. I use 5 or 6 as 15 pts each is pricey.

So, you can keep some of those tricks still.

popisdead
01-06-2007, 22:03
Don't take a champion in a knight unit, take a musician, maybe a standard.

Give your sorcerer a lvl 2 upgrade a dispel scroll., etc

Take ONE unit of 15 chosen chaos warriors with two hand weapons, musician, maybe a standard. Marking them is fine but I recommend undivided to start.

Take units of 25 marauders with light armour, sheilds for a 4+ save and the ability to not suck.

take 15 hounds, maybe 20.

take 6-8 furies.

write a 1000 pt list, till people say it's good, and play it lots. if you're new don't jump into 2000 pts till you know the game well.

Nickn
03-06-2007, 01:51
Take screamers i played a game today and 4 screamers killed my cascket of souls did the final wound on a bone giant and killed my liche high priest AKA my hierophant that 1 unit that costs 132 killed 890 points OUCH!

This is the army that masacred me today idont know euipment and stuff but i do know this
mounted exalted champion
sorceress 2 despell scrolls
2 units of 15 chaos warriors (none chosen)
25 mauraders
8 chaos knights (chosen)
10 bloodletters
4 screamers
20 man beast herd
all units had full command

Sauniere
04-06-2007, 00:42
Yer hero could do with a ward save or he's bolt bait for any high elf army, and dwarfs will pepperpot him too , as for cjhaos warriors not working i take 20 chosen of khorne in 2000 points at over 500 points but they can deal a horrendous amount of damage and take it back too