PDA

View Full Version : Some green questions...

Da Black Gobbo
20-05-2007, 19:37
Well here it goes:

Squig herds: are they worth? how do you use them? is worth to play them like a infantry unit full of rank or just in little units?

Giant: Is it worth? i think is a distraction for enemy shots but i don't know T5 6W and no armour save?

What lord is the best? i like skarsnik but i think a lvl 4 night goblin shamman full of stuff is so sweet and cheap, what do you think?

how big should be the bigguns units? and wich kind is better, boarboyz, normal boyz or savage boyz?

Thanks a lot!

Braad
20-05-2007, 20:26
Squig herds are cool. Only little points for lots of bite...

Giants... well, I think they are funny to field. Often don't do me much good, and usually they don't pay me back their points but sometimes they do wacko stuff. I think they are best in a role of "fun play".

I usually take a normal orc or black orc warboss on foot (or big boss, below 2000). Not too expensive, and with his leadership in the midst of your units... that's were he belongs.
Though I very often change my characters, the general is nearly always an orc warboss on foot.

Big 'uns? I field mine at 20 strong at the moment, though that's gonna be 25, so they can carry the spirit totem if necessary and don't risk loosing ranks to soon. But 20 usually is enough.
Those are normal boyz on foot with choppa and shield.
Which unit you promote to big 'un depends on the role they need to play.
Sturdy core for your army: foot soldiers
Rampaging killers: savage boar boyz

Hope you can do something with this...

T10
20-05-2007, 21:40
Well here it goes:

Thanks a lot!

Kid, all those things are "worth it" in the sense that you deploy them and they do stuff. How well they perform is entirely dependent on two factors: luck and experience.

I suggest you try them out. Don't quit: commit!

-T10

sephiroth87
21-05-2007, 02:11
1. Squig herds: I'm not a fan. They aren't fast enough to do a lot but get shot, and when they finally get there, I always think that I would have been better using the points on a squig hopper unit.

2. The Giant is a big fire magnet. However, it's also got a small base frontage, so you can fit it in between orc units and still be able to charge. Don't let people knock them, they're the only real thing in an orc army that can reliably kill treemen, stegadons, and the like. I hit a stegadon today with a chariot and a giant and wiped it out just with the giant. 2D6 WOUNDS is absolutely heinous to fight against. People have a notion that they're not good, which sometimes actually helps keep them alive, because they're ignored. They will usually also do something stupid like fall on my own guys, but I'm a big fan of the giants.

3. I switch between taking skarsnik and a lord level great orc shaman. Skarsnik is probably better by a lot, but I run my army with heavy magic, trying to get the WAAAGH! spell off. However, Skarsnik is too cheap for what he does, which makes him pretty powerful.

4. I think big unz suck, plain and simple. Orc boys are cheaper and kill stuff just as well.

5. Again, let me reiterate: GW made the regular orcs very, very good because they sucked in the last edition. They swung the pendulum too far the wrong way and made bog-standard orcs too good. I run 2 units of 25 orc boyz and 1 unit of 15 savage orcs, and the regular orcs are just better.

Heretic Burner
21-05-2007, 04:46
Well here it goes:

Squig herds: are they worth? how do you use them? is worth to play them like a infantry unit full of rank or just in little units?!

The best unit in the O&G army. There are many ways to use them, a fully ranked unit that ignores firepower and can tear through other light infantry like butter, a small unit that can serve to take out ten man ranged units and then explode in a wonderful manner, or a mid sized unit that can protect your vulnerable units, serve as a screen, head off warmachine killers and be generally all around useful. Good unit.

Giant: Is it worth? i think is a distraction for enemy shots but i don't know T5 6W and no armour save?

Giant is quite useful against certain armies, less so against others. I like it against undead armies being terror causing itself. Quite dislike it against armies with strong firepower (Empire/Dwarfs) or speed (Chaos/Brets). Keep them away from Lizardmen as well.

What lord is the best? i like skarsnik but i think a lvl 4 night goblin shamman full of stuff is so sweet and cheap, what do you think?

Skarsnik, absolute no brainer. Magic is absolutely dismal in O&G armies so stay far away from it. Skarsnik has some terrific rules and quite decent leadership for a goblin.

how big should be the bigguns units? and wich kind is better, boarboyz, normal boyz or savage boyz?

Big Un units should be 0. Way too expensive.

Which is better? Well Boarboyz are awful, savage boyz may be even worse, so stick with the decent normal boyz. Give them a shield or possibly another choppa, never a bow.

Thanks a lot!

You are welcome.

Da Black Gobbo
21-05-2007, 09:22
Hey guys again thank you veeeeery much, it helped me a lot, let me see how can i fix an army with this things.

Da Black Gobbo
21-05-2007, 09:59
Ok i got it:

---Skarsnik.-

--Black orc big boss, battle standard bearer, Totem spirit of mork, heavy armour.-

--Night goblin shamman: 2 dispell scrolls.

--Night goblin shamman: Staff of sneaky stealin'

--30 Orc Boyz: Extra choppa, shield, full command.

--30 Night goblins: full command, netters, 2 fanatics.

--30 Night goblins: full command, netters, 2 fanatics.

--5 Wolf riders: Shorts bows, spears, musician.

--5 Wolf riders: Shorts bows, spears, musician.

--4 Squig herd teams.

--Boar Chariot: extra crew.

--1 Giant

--2 Stone trolls.

Well that's it, it's a pitty that i can get my loved Kamikaze goblin but this army is for tourney purpouses, what do you think about it? i think it lacks a bit in heavy hitting units, but i got a lot of medium units and some nasty tricks combined with strong defensive magic, 9 dispell dices or so i think, opinions will be veeeeery wellcome thanx!

Franco
21-05-2007, 15:51
Squig herds: are they worth? how do you use them? is worth to play them like a infantry unit full of rank or just in little units?
Well i have used these once and never got to CC because they were shot down by the RXB. They worked as good bait because my enemy thought they were a thret and killed them first. They are quite costy for bait though!!!

No armour save is the only problem, so when a unit of ironbreakers crashed into my giant i felt the force. Good distraction for warmachines, but i use mine to roam around the field, out of sight and pop up to help a struggling unit in combat!!!

I will agree with you there. Magic is important and it would be a wise buy for little points.

Normal boys. So they are nearly as good as the savage orcs. If you make the savage orcs big 'uns then they would be your super unit which would make them the ones that get targeted!!!

Avian
21-05-2007, 15:58
--Black orc big boss, battle standard bearer, Totem spirit of mork, heavy armour.-

--Night goblin shamman: 2 dispell scrolls.

--Night goblin shamman: Staff of sneaky stealin'
Seriously, you don't need 8 DD (and minus 1 PD for your opponent) as well as 2 scrolls.

I would say that your army lacks another good block of Orcs or two, it lacks any form of artillery and it could do well with another Boar chariot.

i think it lacks a bit in heavy hitting units
Decently-sized block of Orc Boyz + Black Orc character on boar + Boar Chariot = very good combo
Take two of these and you are off to a very good start.

Grimlock
21-05-2007, 20:35
2 stone trolls what for go for 3 at least or not at all. Get rid of dispell scrolls personly i've allways hated them and you have 8 dispel dice thats enough. keep the squig heard i take 2 in my night goblin army very good against everything. Wheres the squig hoppers they have yet to let me down try some there great.

T10
22-05-2007, 21:09
Agreed.

A single Troll is an asset. A pair of Trolls is a liability.

-T10

Heretic Burner
22-05-2007, 23:34
Drop the shamans. O&G and magic no longer mix. At worst take a standard level 1 scroll caddy, but even that isn't completely necessary with the Totem.

Drop the trolls. They are a poor choice in an orc lead army, absolutely terrible in a goblin lead army. Awful.

The savings will allow you to get what you need: some punch. Go ahead and grab a pair of spear chukkas, at that point level there is almost always something worthwhile to fire them at. Think about another chariot, one is cannon-bait (though your giant will help you a bit in that respect). Or why not pick up another squig herd, they are your best unit.

Shimmergloom
23-05-2007, 00:45
Savages are still great and worth the points increase that they got. Savage big'uns not so much. If it's ever errata'd that savage big'uns can take a magic banner, then savage big'uns w/2 choppas and nogg's would be a really great unit with 4 attacks each in round 1 at S5.

As it is though regular savages with 2 choppas are still a great deal for 10pts each. I'll take them over black orcs any day.

Da Black Gobbo
23-05-2007, 09:54
He people thanx for the advices, i think i can fix it in order to remove the trolls or just put another one more, i think they could go near to Skarsnik's unit so they get his ld 8 that is not that bad, or change completely the army to create a gunline, what do you think about it? Can the orcs and gobs create an efective gunline? 4 spear chukkas 2 rock lobbas 2 doom divers and some orcs and night gobs to keep the line the main problem is the animosity, but what do you think?

Avian
23-05-2007, 13:43
The most effective units in a greenskin army are big blocks of Orc Boyz. These units need to move forward and block line of sight to anything behind them. Thus a gunline is not a very effective greenskin army, even if greenskins do quite well with a bit of war machine fire.

Shimmergloom
23-05-2007, 18:36
Well first off I can't imagine any player getting enjoyment out of playing gunlines to begin with.

Secondly if you want to play a gunline then greenskins are not the army for you.

Greenskin shooting is there for support. And it can be great support. But you should never be sitting back in gunline deployment with greenskins waiting for the enemy to come to you.