PDA

View Full Version : Bjorn goes Xenos! - Eldar log

Bjorn Stormwolf
20-05-2007, 22:03
Hiya all.

Well after finishing my first 1000 pts of Space Wolves (shown here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83190) and getting some lovely feedback from you guys I trotted down to the local GW to expand my ferocious pack of semi-drunken wolfmen by purchasing some more grey hunters and devs. Instead I walked out with the beginnings of the eldar army i had planned since the codex came out last year... hmmmm some farseer had surely cast Doom upon me.....

Anyway, as with most the logs here, it's purpose is to keep me painting and avoid the distractions of xbox/sun/lager/football/DVD's and pies.

Like all my mini's i want them to look great on the tabletop and nice sitting on my shelf so i'm not looking for golden daemon advice here, but anything to speed up painting, handy quick techniques or pointing out anything that is downright wrong is more than welcome!

I will post some background to the army on another thread soon but the overall theme is that of nature. I'm not talking wood elves in space before anyone asks, nor exodite type dinosaur stylee, just that the painted army will mainly consist of more natural muted colours, browns, greens, bone with hopefully a few natural freehand symbols, when i've chosen them! This also means some of the aspect warrior schemes may change a little (or a lot! I've started with you blue avengers....) from the norm, but i want this army to look coherent together so tough!

Army selection in contrast won't really be themed, i like all the models too much so there's going to be a bit of everything i'm afraid. I'm starting with a combat patrol:

10 Dire Avengers (undercoated white and painting started)
6 Scorpions (undercoated black)
War Walker (undercoated white)
Rangers, not yet purchased!

The Dire avengers:

Anyone else take 15223232.45 years putting these guys together? Bejesus. Fiddly but nice models. The paintscheme for the avengers will match that of the guardian contingents/vehicles etc. Mostly bone & green. The catapults when attatched will be scorched brown to contrast with the brighter armour. Bases will be as my Space Wolves, scorched brown with flock patches and more broken dark angels paraphenalia....:evilgrin:

I was dreading starting a new army in case i'd landed myself with a fiddly as hell paintshcheme but I'm pleased with the bone effect so far, a very quick thinned down basecoat of Kommando Khaki followed with a quick touch up of bleached bone on most of the armour plates and it's done. Quick and easy. There's still plenty to be done here with the details, any advice on colours for the spirit stones (red i'm thinking) and the eyes (green?) would be appreciated.

I'm a busy man (Wife, kid, job, house and myself to look after you know) but updates will be as often as I can.... but expect more pics next weekend.

Bjorn Stormwolf
23-05-2007, 14:09
Quick update, i have been using my 'fleet of brush' special rule and i've nearly finished these guys, only took about four hours so i'm pleased. The details were a bit of a pain in the bum due to my clumsy brushing but a few touch ups and they'll be ready for photographing and uploading friday/weekend.

I'll then start on the scorpions and come back to the other five avengers later on.

Quick question though, I had trouble painting the bases and some of the details due to my failiure to maneuvere the brush around... does anyone build and paint the base and model seperately? It would make some of the painting a million times easier.... if so what/how do you attatch the unbased model to? How do you attatch the model afterwards? Any tips? I might try it for my rangers and future purchases...

schoolcormorant
23-05-2007, 14:34
first off, get a photobucket account, to be perfectly honest, you'll get more replies if you post pics straight up rather than people having to do something for them :)

second, i 'build' i.e model, prime (if theres anything needing priming, razorwire or anything) paint my bases seperate, when the model is finished i either pin it or just glue it on. i'm not too worried about it falling off as i don't play or game with them.

i like the scheme and the blue looks sharp. well done :)

SC

Bjorn Stormwolf
23-05-2007, 15:40
Thanks SC, as your sig suggests i will listen as you are wise... I've been meaning to for a while and i'll try and set one up soon when i've got some better piccies.

Ninners
23-05-2007, 17:08
Your avangers look very cool, the idea of mutual colours is a good idea. However i would suggest one more layer to bring them to life a bit. Other than that, very good.

I make my models completely (including base) then spray them then paint the base becuase it usually involves drybrushing then the actual model.

Keep up the good work

Bjorn Stormwolf
12-06-2007, 17:25
Update!

I actually finished these a couple of weeks ago in a fit of painting frenzy but just haven't had time to post them!

They just need a bit of touching up here and there and they're good to go.

I'm pleased with the way they turned out in the end after some trial and error, they look good on the tabletop and I'm liking the bone/green theme. I was especially pleased with the Exarch's waystone.

I've learned loads for my next batches of Avengers and Guardians so they should be quicker and easier to complete. Altogether now..... I must, I must, I must get rid of mould lines!

Coming Soon: Eldar War Walker.... if i can stay off the booze....

Pekel
14-06-2007, 10:50
Very nice! The weapons looks as though they could use a bit more drybrushing/highlighting, but aside from that they look great. I'll be painting 30 Guardians with a very similar tan color as the base, and I hope I can pull it off nearly as smoothly as that (though I doubt it)!

Bjorn Stormwolf
18-06-2007, 10:00
Thanks Pekel, judging by your stuff I'm sure you'll be fine! I might have another go at the weapons as i've got a round of touch ups to go before they're totally finito.

Update coming later in the week, nearly finished my War Walker. A similar scheme to the Avengers but carrying the nature theme through a little i've kept the lower part bone/cream and the top section green... hopefully reminiscent of a tree! We'll see when it's finished....

Oh, and any tips on painting the clear plastic canopy are welcome, i'm dreading a big fubar.