PDA

View Full Version : ogres vs shootys

Negafex
08-08-2005, 22:14
how should an ogre kingdoms player go about fighting a shooty army such as empire?

Kohhna
08-08-2005, 22:38
Stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye?

Ordo Hereticus
08-08-2005, 22:42
With my skaven i find that your spells are overwhealming.

Use as many butchers as your allowed, and try waste the opponents power dice with wussy spells cast on 1 dice, then use your ability to make the enemy flee spell, or the 2d6 strength 2 hits spell, and then use a bangstick or something.

Also try using knoblars in line to protect your army from 1 or 2 rounds of fire, remember to target the warmachines with spells etc a.s.a.p as they will just annoy you in the end, and use knoblar trappers to get into the enemy lines and block some lines of sight.

Izram
08-08-2005, 23:03
gorgers!

and because I am not allowed to post a single word, trappers and yhetis are nice too.

skavenguy13
08-08-2005, 23:54
Unfortunately, ogres really suck against handguns. There arent many things we can do about it.

Maybe you could try those: hunter, trappers, lots of gnoblars, gorgers.

And as previously said, magic could be quite useful.

Negafex
09-08-2005, 01:38
that sounds like a sound plan but how about leadbelchers? i realize that they are short range but if they are seccesfull a squad of 5 can get up to 50 shots a turn! although i may not be enterpreting the artillery dice rules right as the rule book never really talks about them

Alco Engineer
09-08-2005, 02:53
just use toothcraker(?? +1T?) it'll make the greatest difference to keepng your units alive from ballistic fire. (Not much to do about Cannons and Rock lobbers) but don't forget the scrap launcher. It can devistate warmachines and archers and is one of the few weapons to use the pie plate. very handy.

Expo
09-08-2005, 08:44
There are a lot of solutions, some of them really good, even against other armies!

First: Use the Longstrider greatname! I normally use a Tyrant and a Bruiser, with Longstrider and a Great Weapon! The Longdtrider gives you a second turn charge! Look for the warmachines and for the big units of handgunners! Another option is the Hunter with a pair of cats.
If you have the first turn, you'll get only one shooting phase from the empire! Remember a unit of at least 5 bulls to negate the shooting at yours characters...

Second: Gorgers! Two of them, so you're sure at least one of them qull pop-up on turn two!

Third: Gnoblars Trappers. No-one cares about them, charge the warmachines! Hunt the mages!

TyrantGeoff
10-08-2005, 21:19
It all depends on how you go about a game. I played the new Wood Elves last night at a thousand points.

My army

Bruiser Honden Mountaineater
Cathayan Long Sword, Brace of Handguns, Heavy Armour, Mountaineater, Sword Gnoblar

Butcher Schmorg
Bangstick

5 Ironguts
Bellower, Standard, Lookout Gnoblar

5 Bulls
Bellower, Standard, Lookout Gnoblar, Light Armour, Ironfists

30 Gnoblars
Groinbiter

Gorger

The enemy Elves were just about as follows (not sure on magic items)

Noble GW

Spellsinger

15 Glade Guard Full Command

8 Glade Riders Full Command

8 Dryads Branchnymph

6 Wardancers

I do know (now) the Spellsinger had an illegal magic item, one of the spites that gives and extra dispel dice can only be used by Treeman ancinet and branchwraith. That thwarted a bit of my magic.

Other than that the battle went fairly well. The Bulls with my butcher took out both enemy heroes, the dryads and what was left of the Glade Guard after my Bruisers attack and death. In the end they succumbed to the Glade Riders after some punishing bow fire and a failed round of combat and pursuit.

The big unit of gnoblars got trashed by the Glade Riders but still managed to take out a few Glade Guard with their sharp stuff at long range.

The Ironguts had been shot to ribbons arround my Bruiser in two turns.

The Gorger played the scare em away tactic after arriving in turn three and was walloped in turn 8 as the last man standing by the Wardancers of which he killed two.

So its all a matter of tactics, even in my first game of 1000 points against the empire with only the contents of a battalion and a tyrant box I still managed to hold my own for a few a turns.

Rely on speed, ferocity and hardiness and youll do well. NEVER PLAY OGRES AS A STATIC ARMY.

Negafex
10-08-2005, 21:43
that sounds like a pretty good list but maybethose iron guts would be better replaced with bulls. ive found that squads of 6 bulls with full comand do very well and last quite a while

TyrantGeoff
11-08-2005, 06:34
Yeah like I said my Bulls with the Butcher in reigned supreme in that battle. You got to remember though that theres not much difference in points to a fully loaded bull compared to an Irongut, to the tune of five points so thats only 25 points for the unit. However I could buy a magic item for the bruiser with that. It does bear thinking about.

Got my first 3000 point battle coming next week.

Tyrant
Slaughtermaster
Hunter
Butcher
6 Bulls
6 Bulls
7 Ironguts
30 Gnoblars
30 Gnoblars
Scraplauncher
4 Leadbelchers
4 Leadbelchers
Gorger
Gorger
2 Maneaters

Will be my approximate list (basically all the models I have bar one).

Facing off against Chaos Dwarfs with huge units of sneaky gits and about 8 bolt throwers.

Shuya
11-08-2005, 06:40
Well agaisnt wood elves one of them will have the dragonhide arrow in the two turns it took my leadbelchers to get to shooting range he had ruined two of my units. Stupid ogres arnt funny

aswell as the panic arrows. Not mutch fun either