PDA

View Full Version : Nemesis heroes

guillaume
21-05-2007, 03:43
Okay, I checked the new heroes for the nemesis crown.

http://nemesis.us.games-workshop.com/hobby/gaming/usscenarios/drampersonae/default.htm

Well unfortunately none of them are truly special. I must say, this is rather poor from GW. Just no creative thinking.

And in some cases: utterly ridiculous. This is Vykiel the monstrous: Dark elves:

Special Ability in Nemesis Crown Mega Battles: If Vykiel is included in a Dark Elf army in a Nemesis Crown Mega Battle, War Hydras may also be included as Special choices, Rare choices, or both.

So wait, does that mean that in a 2000pts army, I could actually take 5 war hydras: 3 special and 2 rares, and 4 of them in a 1000pts list!?

Is it me or does that sound ridiculous or am I missing something

Heretic Burner
21-05-2007, 03:58
Yes you are missing something...DE can field SIX(!) hydras in 2000 point games.

And yes, it is ridiculous.

Sure seems a lot better a special trick than the dreadful O&G or DOW abilities. :rolleyes:

Cpt_NinjaPants
21-05-2007, 04:39
The DoW SC and the Orge Kingdom SC are just utterly terrible. Wow.. I can reroll 1 d6 once in a game.... Wow..
I can move through soft cover and water.. Wow agian.

Everyone's SC but the DE is mediocre.

Gabacho Mk.II
21-05-2007, 05:03
Just read through the NC's Special characters and their abilities... what a crock of short-sightedness.

Come on GW, you can do better than that. Heck, my 11year old nephew can come up with better abilities and characters. Ugh, yet another wasted opportunity by the NC's writers.

Just what do GW personnel do all do anyways? They certainly arent coming up with playable rules. How sad.

gorenut
21-05-2007, 05:45
Hmm... does that mean I can take the EMpire hero and have a Maneater as a Core choice? If that is the case, I think it's worth it.

Not to mention a giant or any of the special choice from DoW.

Kavu
21-05-2007, 06:06
This looks sad. I am disappointed. most of them are just avarage and what is worse is that they can be made using the existing army books. :wtf:

what a quick way round for games workshop I must say.

:confused:

loveless
21-05-2007, 06:54
...wow

just wow

not at GW

at all of you

This is a one-time summer campaign.

The characters are all able to be created using the basic lord/hero entries and the current magic items available. Which is obvious to note. Then GW tacks on an extra ability just to add in a bit of spice for the Nemesis Crown Campaign.

Boo. Freaking. Hoo.

"I didn't get a good special character for my army! My army isn't new and shiny! GW didn't live up to every one of my expectations!"

Bah!

Summer campaigns are just to try and draw players in to the game, and to have a good bit of fun in trying to claim a win for your team and be able to say that you helped alter Warhammer history.

Frankly, does a Lustrian list or a Storm of Chaos list make sense outside of their respective settings? Maybe GW realized that it's quicker to make a few named characters w/o the need to build a whole new list just to make everyone feel like they're special.

Why does everything have to be "special"?

Why can't you just be happy that there's storyline?

"They should give everyone a special character! I should get some uber-character for my army that can summon 5 units into play every turn! He should be able to cast 7 spells! He should always strike first and auto-wound with his 19 attacks!"

Wah wah wah.

This is a one-time campaign. With the repeal of the SoC and Lustrian lists from "legality", it's clear that the summer campaigns are meant to be just that - one time, summer campaigns.

Be happy with your army. You chose it. You built it up. You've stuck with it. There's really no need to have to have another special character that only makes sense in one setting. It's like having Nurglitch charge across the Old World, or Captain Harkon raiding the Drakwald. Sure, it _might_ happen, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe someone will like these characters. Their abilities are only for mega-battles, so it's not like it matters what their abilities are. And besides, it's always better to use the rulebook to create a character so that you can still use that same set up for a character AFTER the campaign.

Nothing short of an Army Book change is going to alter how they characters play in normal battles. And as for the mega-battle bits...well, hey...more fun for those of us playing the Nemesis Crown.

gorenut
21-05-2007, 07:16
Haha, you really do live up to your name by your reply towards everyone in this thread.

Note: I have no problems with the SC. They just seem like fun additions.

Multifarious
21-05-2007, 08:38
I agree with loveless. These are designed for the Mega Battles in the US.

However, in Nemesis Crown Mega Battles in U.S. Hobby Centers and participating independent retailers, the Nemesis Crown Personae bestow additional advantages. Of course, if players agree, they may use these characters with their advantages in any Nemesis Crown games they play (and other games as well).

It is just a nice characterful choice to make. Sure there abilities are not that good, but they are not actually paying for them so hey, what is the big deal? They did not have to do this, but there is still pointless whining.

GW really can't win, some people seem to feel such hate (for no reason) that it is not healthy.

Alathir
21-05-2007, 12:22
I'm personally really happy with Bretonnia's character abilities.

21-05-2007, 14:09
if you don't like them then don't use them

guillaume
21-05-2007, 14:29
Yes, well among all these things, the idea of the post was to get your opinion on how and why would DE get their war hydras changed to special and rare, so as to be able field 6 of them in a 2000pts (granted an unlikely move), while others get but a free upgrade for a unit.

This to me doesnt seem balance over the all game. In fact, for those who know, this move would be the same as saying that with the use of this special Lizardmen character, units of salamanders can be counted as rare and/or specials. Thus allowing up to 6 salamanders unit in a 2000pts army.

Now I am sure most of you have been on the receiving end of salamanders, but would that seem balanced to allow 6 of them on the table?

blurred
21-05-2007, 14:49
*Sigh* Thank you GW for making such interesting new characters available for us. :rolleyes:

I really can't understand this company anymore. So they are just normal characters with some awful items. Oh yes! I really want a scouting goblin great shaman, a dark elf noble on a manticore with no save whatsoever and a HE prince with the same flaw. This is just poor.

"They should give everyone a special character! I should get some uber-character for my army that can summon 5 units into play every turn! He should be able to cast 7 spells! He should always strike first and auto-wound with his 19 attacks!"

Oh right.That's what everyone wanted. Thanks for knowing our thoughts so well. Some nice abilities would've been nice or even interesting background, but GW only came up with these cliche-characters with nonsense abilities.

"Water-walking wizard". That really deserves a :wtf:

Multifarious
21-05-2007, 16:16
They are just nice touches for the US Mega Battles, not anything particularly giant. People seem to be acting very angry, as though something had been taken from them, rather than something (admittedly relatively small) added.

Sasha
21-05-2007, 16:28
they seem like they'd provide a small amount of interest without breaking the game or making them a must-use. that seems about right to me

skavenman
21-05-2007, 17:09
I personally like the tomb kings one, core chariots without needing a king, some interesting possibilities come up. The skaven one is kinda meh but whatever. There interesting little characters that can be used in mega battles adding a little more possibilities. Sounds like fun.

loveless
21-05-2007, 18:32
Haha, you really do live up to your name by your reply towards everyone in this thread.

lol, oh, you make me happy, gorenut

and there's somebody else on here who quoted me...anyway, rest assured that I use hyperbole when I write long posts

Forse
21-05-2007, 19:03
I sort of agree with loveless.

They are a minor addition to the campaign. Use them or don't.

ScreamingDoombull
21-05-2007, 19:05
Oh right.That's what everyone wanted. Thanks for knowing our thoughts so well. Some nice abilities would've been nice or even interesting background, but GW only came up with these cliche-characters with nonsense abilities.

"Water-walking wizard". That really deserves a :wtf:

I have to agree with those who aren't bothered by this. These characters are actual guys pulled out of the book with a small added bonus. In a mega game, they will help, but the game won't revolve around their library of special rules and magic items.

And just to point out, if I was a wizard, I'd totally learn how to walk on water. Great for parties. The ladies can't resist it! :D

ZeroTwentythree
21-05-2007, 19:13
My only problem with the characters is that it seems like they fiddled around with the army composition rules without much thought. I'm mainly thinking of Empire & DE here. I preferred the skaven & dwarf (and probably others) approach of free minor upgrades. The comp. altering characters can easily be abused, IMHO.

Not that I'm terribly upset, as I'm in process of putting together a heavy DoW themed Empire (or rather, former Empire) army and was planning on taking it for a test drive as part of the campaign events. The character they gave the Empire is just what I need. :D

loveless
21-05-2007, 21:44
Oh definitely. Nothing like having the Dragonlord or a Dark Emissary or some Maneaters as a core choice.

Go Maximillian, lol.

redbaron998
21-05-2007, 22:22
The Bret one is ok config wise, but has a pretty good special rule.

The WE is different but his special ability can save some points

Häxjägare
21-05-2007, 23:32
*Rubs eyes* Chaos Dwarf SC? *Rubs Eyes again* Cool!