PDA

View Full Version : Blood dragon 2k list

eleveninches
21-05-2007, 11:21
How do you choose the general for blood dragon armies? In VC, your general has to be a magic user, but blood dragons dont allow magic users.
BTW, all black knights in the army are using lance formation

a)
HEROES:
143: Blood Dragon Vampire Thrall (master strike, strength of steel, enchanted shield, heavy armour, barded steed)
91: Wight Lord (heavy armour, shield, sword of kings)
103: Wight Lord (heavy armour, shield, sword of batle, barded steed)

CORE:
191: 6 Black Knights (standard, barding, warbanner) [w/blood dragon]
190: 6 Black Knights (FC, barding) [w/mounted wight or mounted wraith]
283: 16 Grave Guard (FC, banner of the barrows) [w/wight lord]

-------

b)
replace mounted wight lord with mounted wraith

OR

c)
replace mounted wight lord with 2 grave guard and 3 black knights

Rabban
21-05-2007, 11:35
How do you choose the general for blood dragon armies? In VC, your general has to be a magic user, but blood dragons dont allow magic users.
BTW, all black knights in the army are using lance formation

The blood dragon appendix list does allow magic users, but only lord level (vampire counts and lords), so by the rules the list can only be used in 2000+ games. However these lists are not officially balanced so they require your opponents consent. Therefore I'd suggest you talk to your opponent about the need for a wizard in small games and see if they'll let you use a thrall.

The use of lance formation may also raise questions as I believe the brettonian lance formation has changed since the list was written.

DesertDirge
21-05-2007, 15:06
you could make a good 2000pt list out of your current one. Just add a necro and some skellies/ maybe some direwolves and your list looks good.

I like it anyway.

eleveninches
21-05-2007, 20:47
do you think i should go for a second wight lord or a wraith for the 2nd black knight unit. THe only advantage i can think of for a wraith is that he is etheral and causes terror, so will cause fear in fear-causing enemy units

Rabban
21-05-2007, 23:36
do you think i should go for a second wight lord or a wraith for the 2nd black knight unit. THe only advantage i can think of for a wraith is that he is etheral and causes terror, so will cause fear in fear-causing enemy units

I don't normally take wraiths (in fact I think I've used them twice since the armybook came out, both in huge games), wights and thralls are just much better at killing stuff, although I do like the idea of a wraith with the cursed book. The main use for a wraith is killing enemy characters, but since every other model in your army has killing blow they would probably be useless in this role.

eleveninches
23-05-2007, 10:27
i thought the main use for a wraith is to cause fear in fear-causing units

eleveninches
23-05-2007, 10:34
HEROES/LORDS:
300: Blood Dragon Vampire Count (heart piercing, heart piercing, enchanted shield, tomb blade)
143: Blood Dragon Vampire Thrall (master strike, strength of steel, enchanted shield, heavy armour, barded steed)

CORE:
215: 6 Black Knights (FC, barding, warbanner) [w/thrall]
355: 20 Grave Guard (FC, halberds, banner of the barrows) [w/wight lord]
264: 18 Grave Guard (standard, halberds)

SPECIAL:
250: 25 Skeletons (FC, spears) [w/ vampire count]

RARE:
90: Banshee

--------
--------

Do you think the units are too expensive? There is no summoning expected in a blood dragon army (no necros allowed), so the best way to keep the numbers up in the skeleton squad is to get a tomb blade for the VC.

Rabban
23-05-2007, 12:00
i thought the main use for a wraith is to cause fear in fear-causing units

I believe the main use would be terror, as most fear causers are immune to psych (undead, deamons, forest spirits etc), and with a single fear causing model is not that great as you will not get the outnumbering advantage.

HEROES/LORDS:
297: Blood Dragon Vampire Count (red fury, heart piercing, enchanted shield, tomb blade)

CORE:
215: 6 Black Knights (FC, barding, warbanner) [w/thrall]
361: 23 Grave Guard (FC, banner of the barrows) [w/wight lord]

SPECIAL:
304: 31 Skeletons (FC, spears) [w/ vampire count]

RARE:
90: Banshee
200: Black Coach

--------
--------

Do you think the units are too expensive? There is no summoning expected in a blood dragon army (no necros allowed), so the best way to keep the numbers up in the skeleton squad is to get a tomb blade for the VC.

Do you think the black coach is worth its points, or should i drop it for some more black knights?

Against the right armies a black coach is brilliant, especially if you get a combined charge with your knights, but s7 weapons/attacks will easily destroy it, so against cannon heavy armies it is very fragile. Your units grave guard unit is very expensive, although I'd be tempted to try it as it stands, because a smaller unit would be vulnerable to shooting. The problem with the blood dragon list is that it doesn't allow any cheap missile screen units (no wolves or ghouls).

eleveninches
24-05-2007, 09:48
updated, without the black coach