PDA

View Full Version : tomb scorpion attacks question

Warboss Alex
21-05-2007, 16:56
Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to put a Tomb Kings army together for my fiancee, and she likes the scorpions a lot (as do I) so we'll have a couple of those. However the rules about their attacks seem kind of contradictory.

I don't have the book at hand but I recall from reading the other day: tomb scorpion claws have killing blow, and its tail makes poisoned attacks. It also said that since the tail doesn't roll to wound (poisoned attacks), they cannot score a killing blow.

So what is the point of killing blow AND poisoned attacks?

The scorpion has 4 attacks, can I choose to make half my attacks with the claws and half with the tail? The rules are unclear although admittedly I'm not too familiar with 7th edition yet..

Sherlocko
21-05-2007, 17:00
You have both. Any 6īs to hit getīs no chance to killing blow, but at least you donīt have to roll to wound on them. :)

Atrahasis
21-05-2007, 17:01
ALL of the Scorpion's attacks are Poisoned and have the Killing Blow ability. What that measn is that any rolls to hit of 6 automatically wound with chance of killing blow, but any other successful hits do roll to wound and can therefore achieve Killing Blow.

skavenman
21-05-2007, 17:02
You don't have to specify attacks with the claws or tails, just any 6's to hit cause poison wounds and any 6's to wound are killing blow. Really, the poison weakens the tomb scorpion against normal troops but helps against big uglies.

Negativemoney
21-05-2007, 17:03
You don't roll seperately for the attacks. you make one roll and any rolls of 6 to hit wound automaticly and any rolls of 6 to wound have killing blow.

theunwantedbeing
21-05-2007, 17:26
Yes killing blow and poison is slightly contradictory,as you cant have both as poison will negate your chances to get a killing blow.....whats the problem?
Your only going to be facing single wound things most of the time anyway.

DeathlessDraich
21-05-2007, 18:12
ALL of the Scorpion's attacks are Poisoned and have the Killing Blow ability. What that measn is that any rolls to hit of 6 automatically wound with chance of killing blow, but any other successful hits do roll to wound and can therefore achieve Killing Blow.

The Poisoned hits and the Killing blow wounds are separate.
e.g. 3 roll to hits are 6s. - these are Poisoned but do not benefit from Killing blow
If the 1 remaining hit is a 6 when rolling to wound it qualifies as Killing blow.

i.e. the sum of Poisoned hits and Killing blows cannot exceed 4 for the Scorpion

Ganymede
21-05-2007, 18:22
If you want to rationalise the fact that a poisoned hit disallows you from achieving a killing blow with that particular wound, think of it this way. When you poison your foe, you are gouging him with your stinger. When you kill them in one strike, you are clipping off their head with your pincers. You can't snap off someone's head with your stinger, now can you?

If you automatically wound from poison, you have no chance to score a killing blow.

Jonke
22-05-2007, 18:11
Where in the rules do you find that a tomb scorpion which rolls a 6 to hit may not cause a killing blow with that hit?

1. You roll to hit.
2. Any 6s wounds automatically but is still re-rolled, if 1-5=normal wound, 6=killing blow
3. Roll to wound with the rest of the hits (if any), killing blowing as usual.

Peace!

Negativemoney
22-05-2007, 18:17
Because when you make a poisioned roll there is no roll to wound. You only get a killing blow if there is a roll to wound and a 6 is rolled.

No roll to wound = no killing blow.

There is also no rule to cover you point #2. If you can find one please post it.

Jonke
22-05-2007, 18:26
The rules for poison says you wound automatically if you roll a natural 6 on the to hit roll. Nothing stops you from making a to wound roll with these hits.

Peace!

Masque
22-05-2007, 18:27
Tomb Kings Army Book, Page 29, Tomb Scorpion, Poisoned Attacks

"Note that because hits that count as successful Poisoned Attacks do not need to roll to wound, there is no chance of scoring a Killing Blow with them."

Jonke
22-05-2007, 18:31
Tomb Kings Army Book, Page 29, Tomb Scorpion, Poisoned Attacks

"Note that because hits that count as successful Poisoned Attacks do not need to roll to wound, there is no chance of scoring a Killing Blow with them."

Didn't knew that. You learn something knew everyday.

Peace!

AllysLilSquig
22-05-2007, 23:58
I heard 'blow' and Ally's name in this thread.. :angel:

Are the tomb swarms useful at all? Because I like cute baby scorpion things.

Also, how many rerolls do I get against Alex if I play naked Warhammer with him?

WLBjork
23-05-2007, 06:53
In response to your last question, as many as you can persuade him to give you :p

AllysLilSquig
24-05-2007, 07:50
Somehow, I think I'll get quite a few rerolls in the near future. :angel:

Warboss Alex
24-05-2007, 09:31
Somehow, I think I'll get quite a few rerolls in the near future. :angel:

Hell yeah!

Actually.. let's skip Warhammer and just be naked. :angel: ;)

AllysLilSquig
24-05-2007, 19:20
*starts countdown to when we get banned for inappropriate behavior!*

knightwire
24-05-2007, 19:33
I heard 'blow' and Ally's name in this thread.. :angel:

Are the tomb swarms useful at all? Because I like cute baby scorpion things.

Also, how many rerolls do I get against Alex if I play naked Warhammer with him?

Ah yes, I remember the good old days when my wife acted like this... then she became my wife. :) (Mysteriously she didn't like football anymore either. <sigh>)

DeathlessDraich
24-05-2007, 21:05
Who's Alex, who's Ally and what has a little squig got to do with all this?
What happened to the Scorpion?

Aelyn
24-05-2007, 21:59
Who's Alex, who's Ally and what has a little squig got to do with all this?
What happened to the Scorpion?
Ally is Alex's partner (and vice versa), and the "little Squig"... uh... well, it helps... bring them together.
Actually I don't know exactly what the "Lil Squig" part of the name means, but this sounds funny.
Please don't ask me to elaborate.

As for the Scorpion, Ally hijacked the thread with a more generic TK question.