PDA

View Full Version : 1250 Point Night Goblins - Tournament

Muzzy
21-05-2007, 18:13
I am putting together a 1250 point Night Goblin list for my first tournament. I want to go with a magic themed list. The only other models that I have at this point are 2 Spear Chukkas, 20 Spider Riders & 2 more Fanatics. I’d like to come up with a competitive list without buying any other models, if possible. Thanks for your help.

Goblin Shaman (Hero)
Options: Level 2, The Horn of Urgok, Magic Mushroom
140 Points

Goblin Shaman (Hero)
Options: Level 2, Nibbla’s ‘Itty Ring, Magic Mushroom
120 Points

Goblin Shaman (Hero)
Options: Level 2
90 Points

39 x Night Goblins (Core)
Options: Spears, Nets, Champion, Musician, (2) Fanatics
253 Points

Options: Spears, Nets, Champion, Musician, (1) Fanatic
228 Points

Options: Short Bows, Nets, Champion, Musician, (1) Fanatic
189 Points

10 Squig Hoppers (Special)
150 Points

2 x Trolls (Rare)
80 Points

Darrel
25-05-2007, 21:08
haha..Dude you really need a Big boss your generals Ld is 5 =D ,its cheap and gives you even little bit better ld:test and those trolls are so useless without bb
I recommend that you get a Goblin bigboss in 2000 or in any game, because playing with night goblins is really tricky. Everything is very hard especially playing against Vampire counts. I personally love goblin magic, but you need items like staff of sneaky stealing wich is really evil :evilgrin: you cant get any competitive list with spider ridersm you need power like chariots,giants and stuff like that. Spears are kinda useless do you really think that you can do any damage with those Ngoblins with spears?

neverwinter
26-05-2007, 22:37
not bad u should get rid of the trolls they always let u down with there stupid stupidity :D test and i think it needs more fanatics

Festus
27-05-2007, 10:17
Hi

Darrel - Nice to see that you are supportive ... and that you grasp the most basic concept of reading: Learn to be more precise next time:
haha..Dude you really need a Big boss your generals Ld is 5 =D ,its cheap and gives you even little bit better ld:
He has Goblin Shamen, who already come with one point of Ld over Night Gobbos :rolleyes:

Muzzy - Go for it! If you manage to combine your units in the right way (Fanatics and Flank charges) it can be very good. If not, you will be overrun, unfortunately :)

Keep the Trolls near the General, and use the Hoppers to secure one of your flanks and go Skirmisher hunting.

Festus

Irennicus
27-05-2007, 10:30
I really support removing that unit of Night Goblins with bows. Unfortunately, the O&G are a list that's not suited to use archers at all. With animosity being what it is you want to get any unit that suffers from it into CC as quickly as possible. This usually means little time for shooting.

However, you CAN add two spear chukkas as one special unit for only 70 points. That will help out your ranged warfare quite a bit and you'll have points left over to put into other areas.

Grimlock
27-05-2007, 17:30
if its a night goblin army shouldn't you use night goblin shamans more characterfull(!). i agree with getting rid of the trolls have a squig heard in stead

Muzzy
29-05-2007, 20:16
Thanks for all the comments. I agree that it's not fluffy to use Goblin Shaman instead of Night Goblin Shaman but this is for a tournament so I figure I'll need every advantage. I feel bad about it but I think it's wise from a gaming perspective.

I played this list against VC this weekend. I got a couple lucky rolls and got a massacre. The Squig Hoppers did very well. They killed a unit of knights, the general and a Banshee. It felt pretty good considering he's beaten me soundly the first three times in 2000 point games.

The trolls were just ok. They were stupid most of the game but when they finally charged they were killers. They hit pretty hard for 80 points. I've done nothing with the spear chukkas so far. I might add them in.

My magic phase was off the charts. I kept casting Gork'll Fix It on his wizard units for miscasts.

The Horn of Urgok also helps with leadership.

Thanks for all the help so far. Any more help would be appreciated.

Muzzy
06-06-2007, 16:15
How does this list compare to the previous list? I'm thinking about converting my Bretonnian Trebuchet into more of a generic "stone thrower" to be used with both armys. I also added more fanatics. Any thoughts?

Goblin Shaman – General (Hero)
Options: Level 2, The Horn of Urgok
130 Points

Goblin Shaman (Hero)
Options: Level 2, 2 x Dispel Scrolls
140 Points

Goblin Big Boss - Battle Standard Bearer (Hero)
Options: Nibbla’s ‘Itty Ring, Nogg’s Banner of Butchery
105 Points

29 x Night Goblins (Core)
Options: Spears, Nets, Musician, (2) Fanatics
205 Points

205 Points

28 x Night Goblins (Core)
Options: Short Bows, Nets, Musician, (2) Fanatics
173 Points

150 Points

2 Spear Chukkas (Special)
70 Points

1 Rock Lobber (Special)
70 Points

1248 Points

forthegloryofkazadekrund
07-06-2007, 10:12
i dont think you can have a magic banner and other magic items, you have to have either

Muzzy
07-06-2007, 13:51
i dont think you can have a magic banner and other magic items, you have to have either

Thanks for the heads up. I will adjust.

Tutore
07-06-2007, 14:06
I think that the last list isn't effective as the first one. Which has another problem, however: magic mushrooms may be given only to night goblin shamans. So, you go down on leadership (5), or you lose the mushrooms.

Muzzy
07-06-2007, 14:31
Revised per the comments above. Do you guys prefer the enhanced shooting and BSB or the magical army?

Goblin Shaman – General (Hero)
130 Points

Goblin Shaman (Hero)
Options: Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Nibbla’s ‘Itty Ring
135 Points

Goblin Big Boss - Battle Standard Bearer (Hero)
Options: Nogg’s Banner of Butchery
85 Points

32 x Night Goblins (Core)
217 Points

32 x Night Goblins (Core)
217 Points

Options: Short Bows, Nets, Musician, (2) Fanatics
176 Points

150 Points

2 Spear Chukkas (Special)
70 Points

1 Rock Lobber (Special)
70 Points

1250 Points

Muzzy
07-06-2007, 14:32
I think that the last list isn't effective as the first one. Which has another problem, however: magic mushrooms may be given only to night goblin shamans. So, you go down on leadership (5), or you lose the mushrooms.

Good point. Thanks.

Muzzy
28-06-2007, 15:12
I've updated the list a little bit. I think it's a little more effective with the addition of the Spider Riders, the removal of the archers, and more fanatics. My tactics are going to be to divide the force into two parts to minimize overrunning and panicking. The Squig Hoppers will be on the left. The Spider Riders will be on the right. I plan to leave the Shaman and Night Goblins near the deployment zone and advance down the flanks with the fast units. I'm taking kind of a four corners approach to miniminze the damage. I want to let my magic be my offense. Depending on my opponent, I will actually leave the Shaman outside of the units so they don't Squabble. Also, to minimize the loss of VP if the unit's destroyed. I've had a fair amount of luck moving the Trolls around with the Hand of Gork. They are a little better than anticipated.

What do you think?

General - Goblin Shaman (Hero)
Options: Level 2
90 Points

Night Goblin Shaman (Hero)
125 Points

Night Goblin Shaman (Hero)
Options: Level 2, Nibbla's 'Itty Ring
105 Points

30 x Night Goblins (Core)
Options: Spears, Musician, (2) Fanatics