PDA

View Full Version : Slaanesh!!;;::

wargob
21-05-2007, 18:35
Hello,, I have just bought the hordes of Chaos rulebook, and a box of warriors..... I am considering beginning with Slaanesh as the like their look and think the demonettes are cool...

So i was hoping some could tell me their pos and cons... and how the imune to pshycology affects the gaming... what should i be aware of when playing. And are Slaanesh any good? (I dont wanna go magic heavy becouse have HE, and dont want an unruly army because have O&G) ...

and cn the demonnetes be mounted??

Senbei
21-05-2007, 18:39
and cn the demonnetes be mounted??

Yes they can... They're very fast too...

Sasha
21-05-2007, 20:04
imune to psychology is good in negating panic and fear, but does stop you fleeing as a charge reaction, which can be useful. also, undivided already lets you re-roll failed tests so you're not always gaining that much. daemons striking first is quite handy too.

slaanesh magic is really good, you should give it a try.

they can only be mounted using storm of chaos i think. and they are very fast.

Mazdug
21-05-2007, 20:35
Slaanesh is an excellent army, although usually fairly magic heavy. I think most slaaneshi armies tend to favour a variety of cavalry, and tend to use sorcerers more then other hero types. The reason are as follows. The lure of slaanesh is extremely disruptive, if you can get your spells off, no matter what your opponents plan is, it will get screwed up. To capitalise on this, you need to have a lot of fast moving units that can strike in flanks and to the rear, so that their smaller numbers are not so much of a disadvantage. It helps that mounted daemonettes at 30 pts a piece have a 20 inch move if they aren't march blocked.

The big advantage of being Immune to Psychology is that the only thing thats going to make you run away is breaking from a combat. The downside is that you are unable to flee from enemy chargers, and so cannot easily bait them. This is not a terrible problem though, since warhounds are the cheapest thing in the chaos army, move at the same speed as your knights, and will run away whenever you want.

Bull
21-05-2007, 20:50
Slaanesh seem to be one of the favourite Chaos gods, if not the favourite. They're quick, have good magic and are good in combat.

More often than not however I enjoy taking on Slaanesh as usually the players take multiple units of 5 deamonettes on steeds and other cavelry without thinking of taking block units and relying on the speed and the charge to beat me.

Just a note of warning for you so that maybe you wont make the same mistake and will actually think of placing a couple of ranked units. If not have fun and hope you don't come up against dwarves.

wargob
21-05-2007, 20:57
I will probably play against dwarfs regulary... why are they a problem then ?

MarcoPollo
22-05-2007, 01:44
Dwarfs, especially gunline Dwarfs, will tear a foot slogging slaanesh army to threads. If you are going to go this route, I suggest some faster units. Mounted demonettes are excellent, if not a little fragile. But chaos knights are essential here. Other things like furries, giants, marauders, marauder horsemen are all decent investments for your army.

Regular demonettes are not so useful as you cannot take any command with them. And at 15 pts a piece, they can really eat up those points.

As was mentioned before, the slaanesh magic is the usual way these armies are played.

And, IMHO, you should explore the Beast of Chaos addition to the HoC book. Both work together, and benefits of both books can be made to work together.

Bull
22-05-2007, 03:00
Definately, I agree with Marco Pollo.

But the problem I see is that if you come up against dwarfs they don't move much at all anyway and if you have nothing with a rank and file you wont get a heavy enough hit on them to start hurting them despite your speed. Admittedly this isn't counting chosen chaos knights with a character in there.

Your magic needs to work well with your speed and you need some punch involved as well. So use the beasts of chaos in addition to the hordes list as they provide both and create a nice all round list. These are the most deadly of the Slaanesh armies.

lokigod
22-05-2007, 03:20
There is always demonic legion slaanesh also :) The only way to go if you plan on playing demons. Although tzeentch demons tend to be good in mortal armys.

TheStrategist
22-05-2007, 04:39
Welcome, devout follower of Slaanesh, Lord of Forbidden Desires. ;)

But yes, like other have mentioned, a mounted/magic heavy list is very powerful, but like all powerful lists, is popular. So you might see some very similar lists to yours in a big tournament. I would reccomend going for a variety of units, but then again, I am biased towards the fact that a player should have all the units available to him.

Just remember: 4 Minotaurs with great weapons, Chosen Chaos Knights are your fast heavy hitters. Mounted Marauders and Mounted Daemonettes are your fast hitters. Bestifors and Chaos Warriors as heavy infantry and Beast Herds and Marauders as Medium/Light Infantry.

And one more thing: Keep all your units in multiples of 6.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
23-05-2007, 22:09
Don't forget the possibility of throwing in a few beasts units to the mix

Get a Beastherd for about 100 pts and then get a unit of Bestigor w/ Mark of Slaanesh. At 12 pts with S4 and GW, they can crush pretty much anything on the charge for cheap.

Also, a Shaggoth Champ, Mark of Slaanesh also strikes first in CC, and has a hella cool model. Get him lgt arm for a 3+ AS. Note: You'll need an open Lord slot for this monster.

Minotaurs are cool, but they don't get much benefit from the mark unless you're playing as hella-shooty army.

Beasts will take up Special slots, which will limit the number of daemon units you can bring, although sometimes it's better to use them on cheaper units so you can spend more points on your Core units.

Bray shamans are pretty decent for the points. Get one and give him a Braystaff, which has two uses.

Dead Man Walking
24-05-2007, 02:25
I disagree about dwarfs tearing up a foot slogging army.

I play with all infantry except for 1 unit of chosen knights.

1 unit of 18 warriors with mage on mount
1 unit of 16 warriors with mage (lvl 4) on steed of slaanesh with rapturous standard.
1 unit of 12 gors and 8 ungors.
1 unit of 19 mauraders with exalted with strikes first helm+great weapon
10 Furies
1 unit of 5 chosen knights of slaanesh.

I keep casting my spells every round with 3 dice for each spell, my opponent will use up thier store of dispel scrolls/runes. My furies fly in for combat against artillery. Knights threaten the flanks. Then by time you can get in combat its 3rd or 4th turn and you finally have a chance to get spells off -when- you need them because your opponent has used up thier dispel scrolls. I wear them out and no one reserves thier anti-magic for when it counts.

MarcoPollo
24-05-2007, 06:32
Yes this is true.

Anti magic is best reserved for late game against many chaos armies. But, I have had those expensive warriors torn to threads against an SAD army and an empire gunline.

The problem with these gunlines is that once you have sustained the initial shock of casualties, you have to fight through a well positioned defense that usually has ranks and outnumber.

Given that you have to get across the field where your opponent is ready for you, while moving from long range to short range can really chew through those expensive chaos warriors.

But, things like furries, screemers and other speedy elements can help. Beastherds can help screen. That is true. And should be employed as often as possible. Personally, I don't like it when his shooting takes out my 17 point chaos warriors 3-4 at a time.

Mazdug
24-05-2007, 22:59
I would also suggest again warhounds as a screening unit, they can march 14 inches a turn, and when shot to pieces, your other untis won't panic when they run away throught them (thanks to Immune to Psychology). Against gunline dwarves, you have a number of spells that can be very disruptive (especially against their artillery), and even if they have units with oathstones on their flanks, you can throw a unit of warhounds at them, forcing them to drop the oathstone, and then just go around them for the rest of the game.

Oh, also, chaos chariots can bring a lot of hurt too, I have toyed with using a slaaneshi army list that used a bunch of them and warhounds for most of the core choices,as I suspect that by combining large ranked units of warhounds and a chariots impact hits, most enemy units will break.

Dead Man Walking
25-05-2007, 00:58
Just make sure you dont put warhounds in front of the mauraders, they dont get immune to psyche. I always use gors as a shooty shield.

Dwarfs rely on gunline weakening you and then thier tight units of melee wall, but you can rip apart thier army pretty easily. Dwarfs dont like it when thier infanty start turning away from the fight and heading towards a corner of the table where there is nothing but plants. Gunners dont like not being able to fire because they moved.

I however would not field a whole chariot list. I am playing a lizardman list now with 4 units of kroxigor (basically fielding it like a more effective Ogre army.) and lots of str 7 characters (Great weapons). For every extreme there is a unit that can smash it.

MarcoPollo
25-05-2007, 04:52
Although slaanesh magic is very good. Relying on it to win games is trouble. You might be able to move an enemy unit, you might not.

Mazdug
25-05-2007, 16:30
I wouldn't think to field an exclusivly chariot army, but throwing a couple of them in there certainly wouldn't hurt.

Marco Pollo, while you certainly can't garauntee that you'll get your spells of, especially against dwarves, it can help a great deal in neutralising their artillery, and the rest of their missile troops should spend the game moving around trying to get to a position where they can get a shot off at something more threatening then warhounds, or just shooting warhounds. I may at some point if I return to playing slaanesh try using some beastherds, I do have a unit started and sitting in my closet. I never really thought to use them because they slow down the knights/chariots hiding behind them. I don't actually use marauders, I don't tend to have the points left after the knights/characters/Mounted-Daemonettes. Also, I would probably get centigors with throwing axes to fill that role, since they are making str5 missile attacks, and can cut through woods.

Jmznudd
25-05-2007, 19:06
Chosen Chaos Knights + Mark of Slaanesh + Rapturous Standard = Probably one of the best armored units in the game.

Throw in an Exalted Champion with your favorite weapons and you've got alot of fast moving, hard hitting, pain.

-James

MarcoPollo
26-05-2007, 01:27
I guess for me I am very point conscious. I do not like to overspend points on units/characters unless I really want a certain theme. Because magic dominance can cost alot to achieve, I am not a huge fan. Neither do I like to tool up a unit.

Now, I play alot of 1.5k and 1.99k and 2k games. So I have to be choosy. But if you are playing 3-4K then the world is your oyster.

For me, I get concerned with point costs over 250. I get very concerned about point costs over 350.

I've seen lord level wizards come in at just ofer 400pts. Way too much IMHO.

sun tzu
26-05-2007, 22:15
I like slannesh Spawn of Chaos 3d6 movment can be very nasty:evilgrin:

theunwantedbeing
26-05-2007, 22:26
Slaanesh magic is really very good,thanx mainly to the hugely powerful first spell.
Mounted daemonettes are insanely fast.
Similarly Slaaneshi spawn can be mighty quick at times.
The Slaaneshi mark is a double edged sword,it stops you panicking and such but it does leave you with a tactically inflexible army and a competant general will use that against you.

If you want cheap magic then the beasts lists is a good choice as the mages are a little cheaper,plus you can ambush with them if you so wish.
Beats herds are unmarkable so that helps give you something that can bait charges.

Generally so long as you concentrate on one area you end out with a decent army.

sun tzu
26-05-2007, 22:59
You can only use ambush if the army general is a beastman with the ambush special rule:(

Mazdug
28-05-2007, 18:43
I guess for me I am very point conscious. I do not like to overspend points on units/characters unless I really want a certain theme. Because magic dominance can cost alot to achieve, I am not a huge fan. Neither do I like to tool up a unit.

Now, I play alot of 1.5k and 1.99k and 2k games. So I have to be choosy. But if you are playing 3-4K then the world is your oyster.

For me, I get concerned with point costs over 250. I get very concerned about point costs over 350.

I've seen lord level wizards come in at just ofer 400pts. Way too much IMHO.

While I would certainly agree with that, I would say that Mortals or Daemons of chaos may not be the army of choice for someone who wants to keep their point costs low, since they tend to lean towards the very expensive end of things. Empire, Skaven, Greenskins, Beastmen, these seem more low end points wise to me.

ALthough, I would agree that 400 pts is a lot of eggs in one basket.

Mazdug
28-05-2007, 18:47
You can only use ambush if the army general is a beastman with the ambush special rule:(

True, but that can still be a lord level shaman wizard with a daemon blade and a spell familiar, and you can then take a couple of beastherds and warhounds units to ambush, 2 unit of knights and 2 of mounted daemonettes. If you started with the shaman and the warhounds on the boards, the beastherds could all ambush while the mounted daemonnettes and knights manuevered themselves into good positions to take advantage of the enemy being charged from behind.

sun tzu
29-05-2007, 02:46
True, but that can still be a lord level shaman wizard with a daemon blade and a spell familiar, and you can then take a couple of beastherds and warhounds units to ambush, 2 unit of knights and 2 of mounted daemonettes. If you started with the shaman and the warhounds on the boards, the beastherds could all ambush while the mounted daemonnettes and knights manuevered themselves into good positions to take advantage of the enemy being charged from behind.

But then it would be more of a beast of chaos list with added Slaanesh IMHO.:confused:

From the origonal post i think the guy wants to do a mortal army of Slaanesh, maybe with a few daemons.:confused: