PDA

View Full Version : Long Drong's Slayers

RdDragon5
22-05-2007, 06:47
Was playing my friends drwafs and found out that pistols no longer give your strength 4 in close combat. Does this mean that the Dogs of War pirate slayers now just count has having 2 close combat weapons in melee?

Festus
22-05-2007, 06:59
No, they have a special rule called Festooned with Pistols and they follow that: Basically all their attack in cc are S4 and -2 Save.

Festus

Refardeon
22-05-2007, 10:21
Indeed they count all attacks in cc as pistol attacks like being in 1st round of cc. This would mean they follow all rules for pistols in cc, having an additional attack due to pair of pistols, but no pistol shots as no pistol shots are made in cc in 7th ed.

They receive on the other hand the bonuses for using pistols for shooting, especially multiple shots and allways stand and shoot.

Greetz Refardeon

Festus
22-05-2007, 10:36
Please read again what I have already written:
They count all attacks as S4, -2 Save, as outlined above. The rules for pistols have changed in 7th, the rules for the Slayer Pirates have not.

Festus

Refardeon
22-05-2007, 14:00
Please read again what I have already written:
They count all attacks as S4, -2 Save, as outlined above. The rules for pistols have changed in 7th, the rules for the Slayer Pirates have not.

As I stated above, according to my chronicles: First it is stated that they always count as armed with 2 pistols, handling this attacks as in first round of combat, then it is mentioned - basing on 6th ed. rules for pistols - they count all attacks as pistolshots. This is the desciption in my book.

Hence, if there is no longer pistolshots in first round of cc, there can't be pistolshots in every round of cc. When can I anytime have a bonus for longer time, when I don't have it at all? Instead of blame mine, blame them who make the rules.

They receive for free the enhanced pistol rules for 7th ed. This is fair as well.

Greetz Refardeon.

Atrahasis
22-05-2007, 14:11
Slayer Pirates do not and have never followed the rules for Pistols in combat found in the main rulebook. They always used their own rules and these have not changed.

Festus
22-05-2007, 16:12
Well, Mr. Refardeon does not seem to agree...

Maybe a quick glance at the Rules is in order for him? :eyebrows:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/dogsofwar/lists/assets/regimentsofrenownPart2.pdf

see p.65: ...all of their attacks are considered armour piercing Strength 4 pistol shots... :rolleyes:

Festus

Refardeon
22-05-2007, 16:57
I now what I wrote.the thing is quite different, as they have this rule as an exception to other units which had the bonus generally only in first round of cc.

see pg.65 in mentioned rule entry: ...therefore their pistol bonus is allways in action, not only in the first round of combat.

This is the only exception in the rules for slayer pirates depending on the brb 6th ed.

Hence there is no more bonus like this, so they can't use it any more. Now they have other options.

Greetz Refardeon

Atrahasis
22-05-2007, 17:13
The rules say nothing of the sort.

DeathlessDraich
22-05-2007, 17:53
see pg.65 in mentioned rule entry: ...therefore their pistol bonus is allways in action, not only in the first round of combat.

This is the only exception in the rules for slayer pirates depending on the brb 6th ed.

1) "All their attacks are S4 with Armour piercing".

I think you've interpreted this as 'shooting attacks'.

"All attacks" however encompasses combat attacks.

"therefore their pistol bonus is always in action, not only in the first round of combat."

Taken in context 'pistol bonus' can only refer to pistol bonuses given in Long Drong's rules i.e. (1) above.

Don't you think that referring this bonus to 7th ed pistol rules or 'bonuses' will complicate matters?

Refardeon
22-05-2007, 18:18
Not really more than give already underprized units more powerful rules with next edition book by changing their rules a lot, saying they perform with the better new rules and denying the handicaps with the rules change from them.

Have faced them in units of 30 time and again.

Greetz Refardeon

ps: it is said a I mentioned, they say this bonus applies not only in first round, just now there is no such bonus at all. Just following the evolution of the rules.

Atrahasis
22-05-2007, 18:33
ps: it is said a I mentioned, they say this bonus applies not only in first round, just now there is no such bonus at all. Just following the evolution of the rules.And as I said, being more specific than necessary does not change the nature of a rule.

Kotobuki
22-05-2007, 20:56
Refardeon, there is nothing in Long Drong's "Festooned with Pistols" rule that references the BRB's rules for pistol use in close combat. As such, any change to a rule that is not referenced is irrelevant. Long Drong's rules are clear, concise, and stand alone from any other rules. Everyone gets thier profile attacks, plus one, all made at S4, Armor Piercing.

Bloodknight
22-05-2007, 21:02
I think we sorted that out. Now another question: how many shots do they get in ranged combat? IŽd argue 2x multiple because they carry more than one pistol.

Sanjuro
22-05-2007, 21:10
I think we sorted that out. Now another question: how many shots do they get in ranged combat? IŽd argue 2x multiple because they carry more than one pistol.

Indeed, they carry 'Lots and lots of pistols!', as per RAW.

Does that qualify for two pistols? Who knows. :D

Bloodknight
22-05-2007, 21:13
In the German rulebook the rules for pistols state that models with two or more pistols get 2x multiple shots. I think "lots" qualifies for that...

Ninsaneja
23-05-2007, 06:28
Then again, per RAW, they do not have a "brace of pistols" or even "two or more pistols" but instead have "Lots and Lots of Pistols" which is a separate item.

Ok, done being silly and I'd say that they maintain all their previous rules plus the multiple shots bonus. Sure, they got an upgrade, but imho they still aren't good enough to cry about.

god octo
23-05-2007, 16:22
Then again, per RAW, they do not have a "brace of pistols" or even "two or more pistols" but instead have "Lots and Lots of Pistols" which is a separate item.

However, it does say that they fight "With a pistol in each hand", so unless all of Long Drong's slayers are amputees, they all have 2 pistols.

lparigi34
23-05-2007, 16:51
However, it does say that they fight "With a pistol in each hand", so unless all of Long Drong's slayers are amputees, they all have 2 pistols.

Flawed logics... thay fact that they can use two at the same time does not mean that you can carry only two. Even if amputee, they still carry more than two pistols (infinite actually, as there is no cap to the amount).

god octo
23-05-2007, 18:32
Sorry, I phrased that wrongly. I meant to agree that they should benefit from having 2 pistols when it came to shooting, so they would have 2x shots.

Sanjuro
23-05-2007, 18:36
Well, they are pirates, and what kind of pirate doesn't have at least one hook for a hand?