PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings 2000p

StormCrow
22-05-2007, 07:25
This is a list i used recently against Bretonnia. I thought it did really well for itself, with the king taking down the green knight :evilgrin: ...although he popped out of a wood later. I scored two massacres with it (one because the enemy general fled from a successful SS catapult shot on the first turn and brought about 1000 points with him. In the second, longer game almost all the units performed spectacularly, especialy the Tomb King in Icon of Rakaph Tomb Guard Unit.

Thought I'd post it up because i hear people complaining about how to beat Bretonnians, so here is one way that i found to work rather well (could come in handy for the Nemesis crown too!)

Also wanted to know what people think of the list. Any suggestions, comments, improvements to be made? Is it 'cheesy'?

LORD:
Tomb King; Destroyer of Eternities, Collar of Shapesh (265)

HEROES:
Tomb Prince; Light Armour, Shield, Blade of Setep (154)
Liche Priest (H); Cloak of the Dunes, Hieratic Jar (160)
Liche Priest; Plaques of mighty incantations, Casket of Souls (310)

CORE:
10xSkeleton Bowmen (80)
10xSkeleton Bowmen (80)
10xSkeleton Bowmen (80)

SPECIAL:
Tomb Scorpion (85)
24xTomb Guard; Full Command, Icon of Rakaph (318)
24xTomb Guard; Full Command (358)

RARE:
(casket of souls)
Screaming Skull Catapult; Skulls of the Foe (110)

Total:2000

'Power' Dice: 7 (9)
Dispel Dice: 4

forgottenlor
22-05-2007, 08:43
I can see how this list would work very well against Brett's, Ogres, Hordes of Chaos, or similar offensive armies. I am not sure I would try it out against a shooty army like Dwarves, though.

The Old Scholar
22-05-2007, 08:44
Hey, this looks really good.
I was wondering, is the Prince necessary or just there because its cool to have the king mummy's son running round doing his dirty work?
At 154 points you could afford another scorpion, more archers or yet another priest.
Whatever, I think it looks good.

jahorin
22-05-2007, 14:48
I would maybe remove the plaque on the priest with the casket,have you consider taking the vembrace on him instead. It is useful if you charge by miner coming from your back or a big unit of gutter runner.

Again as mention, I wonder how this arm would fare against dwarves of dark elves with lots of shooting.

Nickn
23-05-2007, 02:03
i hate 2 burst yer bubble but u cant field the cascket of souls and a tomb king in 2000 pts they both count as lords ( i made the same mistake once).

the cascket is under the lords entry but says " this unit ALSO uses up a rare choice ".so the caskcket in my opinion isn't worth it, it costs you an immoble priest + 165 for cascket + lord + rare.

Kobal
23-05-2007, 05:30
Actually the casket takes up just a rare space + lord OR hero slot not both so he can take the casket.

Esco Thomson
23-05-2007, 17:20
i hate 2 burst yer bubble but u cant field the cascket of souls and a tomb king in 2000 pts they both count as lords ( i made the same mistake once).

the cascket is under the lords entry but says " this unit ALSO uses up a rare choice ".so the caskcket in my opinion isn't worth it, it costs you an immoble priest + 165 for cascket + lord + rare.

The casket of souls entry specifically states that taking it uses a rare slot. The liche priest or lich high priest will take up their normal slot as well. The casket itself, while posted under the hero sections is not a hero, nor does it take up any sort of hero choice, lord or otherwise. Think of it more akin to a mount for a liche. A little immobile mount, but regardless.

Maelx
23-05-2007, 18:37
Ahh - too static for my liking.

I'm more of a liker of balance, but whatever floats your boat. Nice list - although I think chariots would give you one helluva time.

jackveneno
23-05-2007, 19:14
as previously stated, be very careful of chariots.

AllTheWayUlthwe
23-05-2007, 22:13
I love your list. I will be buying alot more Tomb Guard for my TK army. I realy like the Icon of Rakaph on my tomb guard. There's nothing like a big unit of killing blow turning around to charge a flanking block of troops.

Good list.

I however am not convinced of 30 archers. I would probably take chariots instead, but that's just me.

Makaber
24-05-2007, 00:53
I think you got the points wrong on one of the Tomb Guard units.

Mad Makz
24-05-2007, 05:11
This list is an absolute nightmare for Brettonnians with the two big blocks of Tomb Guard and the TK with Destroyer of Eternities and the Tomb Prince with the blade of setep so no surprise that you massacred them.

Seems a very solid list, a little static in play style for my liking. My only suggestion would be to perhaps try and find some points for some carrion for march blocking/huntin mages etc. Cutting down on some magic items (Plaques of might Incantations) and changing one of the units of archers to a single Tomb Swarm will make the list more flexible in this regard (and other greater protection versus scouts taking out your expensive casket and opposing flyers hunting down your hierophant etc. ) However, I know how effective 10 archers can be for a mere 80 points.

In an all round sort of sense, the biggest threat to your army is probably something like a dragon - although you've probably got enough points tied up in the two units of TG to make it a drawn game (Dragon wipes out the rest of your army, carefully avoiding the unit with the Icon of Rakaph, you wipe out the rest of the opposing army.) And if they are careless with the dragon or you got lucky with the screaming skull catapult then you'd have a pretty decent shot.

StormCrow
24-05-2007, 10:09
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated tips. I too agree it is fairly static, but the units could more than hold the bretonnian charge so it wasn't of too much concern. I should probably mention this isnt a list i use often, my standard army makes more use of chariots and other nasties.