PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Armour

LordStrafe
22-05-2007, 07:28
So, I was checking these books out. Typically, what's the ettiquette for using these rules? Do people normaly agree mutually to use Imperial Armour rules? Or, is it more like a Codex, and it's simply assumed that the rules are universally usable?

chromedog
22-05-2007, 08:23
They're usually the "with opponent's consent" kind of deal. ie, he can choose to not let you use them. If he's being a PITA, that is. If it's a friendly, then there shouldn't be any real objections, but a codex, they aren't, so more oftn than not, they are disallowed at tournements.

Edit: I have vol 1 & 2, and they are a nice read. The models are a tad expensive, but for me, they were more of a resource for conversions, and scratchbuilding than anything else. I'm planning to build a marauder bomber - purely as a model.

Crippler
22-05-2007, 09:12
They are well worth the asking price and are nice on the eyes to read. The models are more expensive, but adds so much more to the GW range.

So as long as your opponent does not mind you fielding these models, go ahead, I have!!!!

Bookwrak
22-05-2007, 09:14
Actually, they're not opponent's consent. Or at least it's only as much opponent's consent as anything you field from a regular codex. If you're fielding a super heavy, then your opponent get gets access to a second FoC so they need to know about it before the game, and it's kind of rude to just pop a flyer on someone, especially if they're unfamiliar with the rules.

A query of my own: Let's say I want to field a Baneblade, and a Wolfhound Titan. Would that require _3_ FoCs (IIRC, you can only take 1-3 super heavies per additional FoC, and they must be the same type, but I'm hoping I'm wrong).

Stella Cadente
22-05-2007, 10:25
It actually says in the IA books that they are NOT consent models as they have been extensively play-tested (despite what people think), the only models that DO require permission is a super heavy, but even then it says you only need permission for games under 2000pts

Onisuzume
22-05-2007, 11:40
And nothing says "I love MEQ" more than putting down a barbed hierodule in a 750 point game. (S10 AP3 large blast anyone?)

Commissar Vaughn
22-05-2007, 12:23
It always puzzles me that so many people are convinced that IA needs consent to use.
IMO if people are going to insist on those two dark angel lords turning up to every bloody skirmish (usually holding each others hands btw) I'll deploy my vanquishers and salanders and damn them all!

Chimera
22-05-2007, 12:28
The IA books are awesome, and IMHO, by far the best things to emerge from GW in years. Depth of background, gorgeous models, books that hold your attention.

They're expensive, and they are a shining example of 'getting what you pay for'.

The cheapest one is IA4: The Anphelion Project, and I'd strongly recommend it to any SM/IG/Tyranid players out there, particularly if you've not checked out any of the IA stuff before.

yankeeboy
22-05-2007, 14:22
It always puzzles me that so many people are convinced that IA needs consent to use.

Especially when those people actually own the book! It's right there on page 7 for both IA1 and IA2.

Bunnahabhain
22-05-2007, 14:27
And nothing says "I love MEQ" more than putting down a barbed hierodule in a 750 point game. (S10 AP3 large blast anyone?)

Except a Bombard. S8, AP3, Massive blast ( Hint: somewhat bigger than a large blast)

Crippler
22-05-2007, 14:35
Especially when those people actually own the book! It's right there on page 7 for both IA1 and IA2.

If that is indeed the case why are they banned from GT???

I have already seen the other thread, just pointing it out again.

Onisuzume
22-05-2007, 14:40
Except a Bombard. S8, AP3, Massive blast ( Hint: somewhat bigger than a large blast)
You mean the good old 3" blast? (don't have the rules for Bombards)

yankeeboy
22-05-2007, 14:48
We're talking about two distinct things here.

1. Normal gameplay. The IA books are clear that consent is not needed, no more than we would require consent for someone to use any standard codex.

2. Tournament gameplay. Tournaments can (and do) ban anything they want. They can enforce all sorts of restrictions that have nothing to do with the actual rules. I've seen the following items:

-Full codex books and lists that were not allowed.
-Forced Comp scores based upon percentages of points within each Force Organization Slot
-Tournament specific FAQs that were often completely at odds with what the actual rulebook or codicies actually say.
etc, etc.

Some tournaments allow Forge World, some don't, some allow selected items (like tank varients).

These are two distinct issues from each other. As for "normal" play, ForgeWorld is a GW product. Forgeworld books make it clear that this is the case. These rulebooks also make it clear that they don't require opponent consent to use.

Crippler
22-05-2007, 15:29
Wipes head, Roll on the FW armour!!!!

KITS AND BITS
22-05-2007, 15:39
i think this partly stems from GW stores not allowing the forge world models to be used or displayed , i think times are changing and GW are becomming more relaxed about it , i was quite shocked to see some in the dark angel codex , its about time !

Binky
22-05-2007, 15:51
i think this partly stems from GW stores not allowing the forge world models to be used or displayed , i think times are changing and GW are becomming more relaxed about it , i was quite shocked to see some in the dark angel codex , its about time !

GW definitely seem to be bringing FW stuff more into the mainstream, seems to be cropping up more and more in WD and even gets a regular page in the News section now, showcasing some of the new releases.

scwolf
24-05-2007, 01:32
Any army in any type of match match, even casual ones, are with consent only.

Mythrider
24-05-2007, 05:42
Kits and Bits: Is this no FW in GW stores a UK thing. Here in Canada there is always FW stuff on display in my local GW. About a year ago a redshirt used a Gargantuan Squiggoth in a store tourney.

As has been stated, consent is not required but as a courtesy and in the spirit of a good game I would let your opponent know in advance if you are using FW stuff.

This goes double if you want to use flyers, few things are less fun than being on the receiving end of flyers if you weren`t planning on them, especially for Nid/Khorne players.

scwolf: What?

Vaktathi
24-05-2007, 05:44
So, I was checking these books out. Typically, what's the ettiquette for using these rules? Do people normaly agree mutually to use Imperial Armour rules? Or, is it more like a Codex, and it's simply assumed that the rules are universally usable?

According to the IA books themselves, they are as legal to use for normal play as any other official Warhammer book.

gLOBS
24-05-2007, 07:25

Heh nope even bigger.

Stella Cadente
24-05-2007, 08:02

nah don't be silly, try 7"s instead 3" would be silly:D