PDA

View Full Version : How do you equip your Dwarf Rangers?

Rirekon
22-05-2007, 14:41
I've been racking my brains over how to best equip my Rangers, as you only get 1 unit of them they need to be effective.

My initial idea was to use Quarrellers with Great Weapons and get them forward of my main forces as bait. However the idea of giving Longbeards the Scout rule is sorely tempting...
Also what do you people think of the choice between Quarrellers and Thunderers, either for Rangers or in general?

xmbk
22-05-2007, 16:58
Anything you do with Rangers is a waste of points. Not to sound glib, but there's no way to make them cost-effective.

blurred
22-05-2007, 17:21
Anything you do with Rangers is a waste of points. Not to sound glib, but there's no way to make them cost-effective.

I'm not sure what your conception of 'cost-effectiveness' is, but IMO an army which usually has a lot of missile fire can really benefit from a unit which march blocks and threatens flanks.

Your idea of quarrelers with great weapons sounds pretty good; they can dish some damage with their crossbows and when the time is right charge from whatever bush they are hiding in. :)

heretics bane
22-05-2007, 19:01
well i use long beard rangers with throwing axes and lead by a thane, immune to panic,2 ranks and throwing axes at str 5 not bad, i use them to hold up one flank with the rune of courage(immune to fear,terror and panic) and the thane armed with the rune of fire is a nasty combo aginst treemen,treeekin and dyrads who expect an easy win, i usually end up massacring them before they charge

DesertDirge
22-05-2007, 19:13
I heard throwing axes are better for them then bows.

heretics bane
22-05-2007, 19:15
yep, with my experience with them they rock!

Rirekon
23-05-2007, 10:04
I think I might make a unit of Longbeard Rangers, being advanced of the main force they could use the extra staying power.

What do people think of Quarrellers vs Thunderers in general? Which do you prefer and why?

DesertDirge
23-05-2007, 15:23
crossbows shoot farther.. guns armor peirce.

heretics bane
23-05-2007, 20:01
But handguns get +1 to shoot and -2 to armour

Lander
23-05-2007, 20:14
I think I might make a unit of Longbeard Rangers, being advanced of the main force they could use the extra staying power.

What do people think of Quarrellers vs Thunderers in general? Which do you prefer and why?

If you use them as bait Quarrellers cheaper. I have only a unit of Thunderers the old metal ones they never let me down.

Brother Barak
24-05-2007, 08:48
I tend to use my rangers as warriors with throwing axes and shields, mainly because they can move and use their throwing axes, the enemy is often very close so the range isn't an issue. PLus with their heavy armour ans shields they are rock-hard in combat.

As for thunderers verses quarrelers, I always go the quarrelers. The extra 6" means you can start killing things on turn 1, they are cheaper (meaning I take more of them) and by the time the +1 to hit at close range with the thunderers come into play I'm usually getting the combat units into position. Plus they have a cool name... Quarrelers. It sounds like they'd pick a fight with anyone :p

Rirekon
24-05-2007, 09:48
I believe Thunderers get +1 at all ranges now, not just short range, which is what makes them so tempting.
Hitting on 3+ Str 4 -2 Sv is sounding pretty good compared to Quarrellers even if it is only 24" range. Though they cost a far bit more and can't take Great Weapons which is a shame.

Guess I'll have to try them out ;)

forthegloryofkazadekrund
24-05-2007, 09:54
i have ranger quarrellers with great weapons (20) with fc, i use them with miners (20 incl hero) and the anvil, they usually have very good disruption abilities and normally for me make thier points up either by killing of disruptiong the enemy so much i can use my organ guns longer

baba yaga
24-05-2007, 10:01
although I own a dwarf army I have never used rangers. Infiltrating might seem good but they mostly have to hide in woods witch limits their manuverability alot. However I would make tem either a very cheap (10 beards with limited equipment) throwaway unit o block marchmoves and threaten flanks or very good (longbeards, crossbows, great weapons) to kick some ****:p