PDA

View Full Version : Empire Detachments

vinush
22-05-2007, 16:34
Do people bother with Detachments for the empire?

If so, what tactics do you use them with?

I'm just wondering as I noticed in a different thread an Empire player with no detachments in his army.

\/ince.

ZeroTwentythree
22-05-2007, 16:41
There are some really good articles on using detachments here:

http://warhammer-empire.com/index_new.php

I think they are one of the major strengths of the Empire.

vinush
22-05-2007, 16:43
I quite agree, I just wanted to see how people use them in their games, if they do.

\/ince

Shank
23-05-2007, 01:55
All of my State Troops have Detachments, they really are a must in the army. I really can't think of one reason not to take them.
I keep my tactics very simple with them. It is all about the Counter Charge. I make the main unit look like such a juicey target the enemy has to charge them, then Whamm! I hit them in the flanks. I almost always use Free Company as my detachment. They go first on the Counter Charge and that usually means 10 attacks (5 guys, 2 hand weapons).
If I fight a well informed player and he charges my detachment, I flee with them and this usually leaves my main unit of State Troops the ability to charge next turn.
Sometimes I take 2 detachments, one 10 Free company the other 5 archers. I use these guys to run around and annoy the enemy. Pick of lone characters or to release Fanatics.
There are so many things you can do. And remember, they never cause panic in other units. BONUS!!

Bortus
23-05-2007, 05:28
Playing Empire means detachments. Playing without them is like having corn flakes without the milk or peanut butter without the jelly...hmnnn...actually it's more like having a gun without the bullets! I've never seen an experienced Empire player field an army without detachments. It's what they're built for, it's thier strength and thier key to winning. Free company and archers are two of my personel favorites. With them you can't go wrong!

Kedlav
23-05-2007, 05:51
Against most armies, melee detachments are invaluable, nullifying rank bonuses, giving flank bonuses, all that jazz. Against swarm armies like Skaven and Gobbos that swamp the board with figs and rarely have flanks, its better to use bait detachments and the like to open lanes.

Vattendroppe
23-05-2007, 06:21

If so, what tactics do you use them with?

I'm just wondering as I noticed in a different thread an Empire player with no detachments in his army.

\/ince.

50 pts to negate rank bonuses on your enemy doesn't need very much tactics IMO. No, but seriously, detachment rocks everybodys socks.

But as for tactics I don't use very much, just countercharge with them and if it's a real horde enemy you can have them wander off and use them as biat. To use shooting detachments is IMO a real waste of points, since crossbowmen and handgunners is S&S, whilst empire archers don't do very much at 8 pts a piece. Much better to spend those points on handgunners on a hill.

gorenut
23-05-2007, 08:30
I personally take a mix of ranged and halberds as detachments. I field my melee detachments in squads of 6, with a 3x3 formation so they don't take up as much space and still negate rank bonuses (I play with ALOT of infantry, so space is limited for me). I take the shooting detachments in 5x1. Maximize shooting potential and can perform several roles (shooting at enemies as a charge reaction, hit flank if melee isn't around to negate rank bonus, go off on their own, ahead, as a small shooting squad that doesn't panic anyone else).

Templar_Victorious
26-05-2007, 19:56
I usually field detachments of 10-12 halberdiers to a mian unit of swordsmen, and then I either use 10 handgunners or a unit if 5 militia, depending on whetaer I face an O&G army or any other army. The handgunners are superb LOS blockers until the enemy reach them and they flee, causing no harm in my army, or the militias, who draws out fanatics, wonderful, 25p no panic causing, which is just here to force out the fanatics if they are there. If not, they will notice this within 8" and still use the flee tactic and strand the enemy in front om my parent swordsman unit and suppeort detachment unit.

Frankly
26-05-2007, 22:47

I think they're a draw part of playing Empire, detachments and cheap ranged attack.

If you want on the empires strengths of cheap troops, cheap H.gunners and detachments, your standard list can be hard to counter.

I use a mixture of different detachments, but have found halberds the most useful. I rarely run units over 8 to keep points down and usually only run a detachment for every main unit.

Hywel
27-05-2007, 00:37
If you're fielding infantry in any reasonable quantity I'd suggest that detachments are essential. Your average empire soldier is just that - average. Most things in the game can best them on equal terms. This is why detachments exist, to even the score.

Removing enemy rank bonus or diverting their charge is what makes imperial infantry able to compete with most enemy infantry in the game and more than a match for most core infantry not led by characters. This is essential security as it means you can focus your shooting on more dangerous enemies and be fully confident that the 'chaff' will just wash up on the shore of your battleline.

Crazy Harborc
27-05-2007, 00:59
I've been using parent Empire units with detachments since they came along in 6th Edition. I prefer to use two, one of shooters one of swordsmen. Charging in support AND shooting in support when the parent unit is charged. Those two detachment specialities make them worth the points.;)

Once in awhile, I use a LARGE unit of Empire spears without detachments. The rest of the time, my parent units "MUST" have at least one detachment to be in my army.

Mephistofeles
27-05-2007, 13:34
I always take detachments, all of my units of state troops have a detachment of 10 free company; they are dirt cheap, negate ranks, actually have 10 attacks and can bait very well.

They are also rather fun to send of alone against stuff like mages, artillery, archers and the like, it's 50 points to let your opponent at least waste a turn of magic och shooting to kill them.

All in all, detachments rock, and you would be foolish to leave home without them.