PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Starting Empire, Help needed

RdDragon5
22-05-2007, 17:54
Well I'm thinking of starting up empire for the summer campagin and playing games with my dwarf, and high elf playing friends, against orcs and beastmen mostly. So I've come up with this list. I wanted it to be filled with lots of good basic things I'll need in higher point games so I can build off it. Let me know what you think.

Heroes: 156

78 = Captain, lance, full plate armour, shield, barded warhorse

78 = Captain, lance, full plate armour, shield, barded warhorse

Hoping to run these guys as warmachine killers, or in with the pistoliers to give them some close combat power.

Core: (518)

145 = 20 Swordsmen with full command
50 = 10 Free Company, detachment
64 = 8 Handgunners, detachment

145 = 20 Swordsmen with full command
50 = 10 Free Company, detachment
64 = 8 Handgunners, detachment

Special: (328)

100 = Great Cannon

114 = 5 Pistoliers with musician, and outrider with repeater pistol

114 = 5 Pistoliers with musician, and outrider with repeater pistol

Total = 1002

cisse
23-05-2007, 00:23
Well...

First of all, as much as it's troublesome sometimes, you will need some magic defence. Yes, it's stupid that you have to invest points in magic just to make sure you don't get hurt by it, but that's the way it is. So, your character setup will need a bit of a reorganisation. I'd say you need at least two priests for the dispell dice or a wizard with scrolls (or the rod of power, which lets you convert power dice into dispell dice or the other way round if needed) to make sure you don't get hammered by magic.

Second, you will need a hero to act as your general, and this means he has to stay close to your main regiments. No war machine hunting for that one. Your troops simply cannot cope without his leadership (which is 8, still not that great).

Also, units of 20 are somewhat small for empire infantry. They're easy to kill, and you can only rely on static combat resoltuion to win combats, which means you need to make sure you have full ranks and outnumber the enemy. Units of 24-25 are better imho. On the other hand, detachments of missile troops (other than archers) tend to be a pain to deploy properly: you want them in a single file to maximise firepower, but that means they take up a lot of space and leave large weak spots in your battle line. I'd only take detachments of 5 (10 is fine for the free ompany though).

Lastly, pistoliers are great, but sometimes you need a little survivability, or you want to have a unit that can do a counter-charge. Pistoliers can't do that, knights can. A unit of 5 'nilla knights (ie, no upgrades) would be a very usefull addition instead of one of the pistolier units.

Do you know the site Warhammer-Empire.com (http://warhammer-empire.com)? It's a great site for empire generals, one of the biggest empire sites on the net, and a great place to ask advice, read tactica articles and post army lists.

RdDragon5
23-05-2007, 02:30
First off thanks for the reply.

First of all, as much as it's troublesome sometimes, you will need some magic defence.
Got it, as a lizardmen player I understand the need to be able to roll more then 2 dispel dice. Just looking for a cost effective way to do it at 1000 points. Would suggest a warrior priest, or Lv1 Scroll Caddy for the points economist?

Second, you will need a hero to act as your general, and this means he has to stay close to your main regiments. No war machine hunting for that one. Your troops simply cannot cope without his leadership (which is 8, still not that great).

Already sounding like a warrior priest on foot (or on his barded warhorse in on of the swordsmen units) kills two birds with one stone.

Also, units of 20 are somewhat small for empire infantry. Again I agree with you, and when first writing the list I had them at 25, but that 1000 point mark came up pretty fast. Though I'll see what i can shuffle around since the whole reason I'm taking swordsmen is the higher initiative and amour to de-nigh my opponent kills so the static combat res will win (1 banner, 3 rank, 1 flank, and have him loose ranks).

Lastly, pistoliers are great, but sometimes you need a little survivability...

Hate to sound like a broken record, but again I wanted knighs in, but seemed to be lacking points.

Thanks again, I'll take a look at the site later too.

Kobal
23-05-2007, 14:57
Hate to sound like a broken record, but again I wanted knights in, but seemed to be lacking points.
take a unit of 5 knight with no upgrades (Called Nilla knights) they are only 1pt more than your 5 pistoliers, you need more swordsmen (unit strength 25 minimum [including hero]) and consider archers for a detachment (deployed in front of the parent unit to screen missile fire against the parent unit), instead of one of your captains take a lvl 1 battle wizard with a de-spell scroll, stick your captain with a swordsmen block and your set.

rexim
23-05-2007, 16:29
in 1000 pts 3 dd can be enough.
a warrior priest on foot with AMOI and GW is a good chois as a general.
if you drop a hero, 5 pisstolliers and 6 Handgunners you can get the WP, 5 nilla knight, and a swords man. im not sure, but i dont think you should get out shoot or out magiced to hard with a list like that, and your pisstolliers could hide behinde your knights for cover.

RdDragon5
24-05-2007, 03:16
Well I decided to go back to the drawing board, and start from scratch. I also found out I'm getting my brothers emipre "army" 6th ed starter box+knights, and my uncles 6th ed starter box, plus I own a warrior priest I've used as a cleric in D&D. This is what I came up with.

119 = Warrior Priest, great weapon, meteoric armour

162 = 25 Spearmen, musician, standard bearer
50 = 10 Free Company
64 = 8 Handgunners

165 = 25 Swordsmen, musician, standard bearer
50 = 10 Free Company
64 = 8 Handgunners

123 = 5 knights, musician

97 = 5 Pistoliers, musician

100 = Cannon

Total = 994

@rexim - I wrote this list, then read you post, looks like we think the same way for my general.

Let me know what you guys think of this list.

RdDragon5
24-05-2007, 15:14
*bump*
Still looking fo feedback on the second list please.

Sasha
24-05-2007, 16:35
looks good to me. might put a champ into the regiment that'll have the warrior priest to accept any particularly nasty challenges

Gustav Kohn
24-05-2007, 18:23
I would take only 5 handgunners for my detatchments as 8 can be too long a front. I would also make some either archers or crossbowmen. Crossbowmen have longer range to make them come to you and archers are skirmished, in which case you can leave them at 8.

So, make one 5 crossbowmen/handgunners and make the other 11 archers. My opinion