PDA

View Full Version : Questions about orks

Ork_Warboss
23-05-2007, 12:19
Got some questions about orks.

1. Is having mostly shootas more then sluggas useful at all

2. Are flash gitz worth it?

3. Are looted vehicles good at all? (cause they have a BS 2..)

4. Are the guys with the pins in their hands and a slugga better then slugga boyz?

It would be a help if u can answer :)

uhhhhhhh:skull:

Cirenivel
23-05-2007, 12:43

Really depends on the army. What you should normally do, is either almost all shootas, or all sluggas/choppas. Also always max out the heavy weapons in a squad.

Again. it depends. If you are running shooty orks, then they are usually worth it, but if you are running a tidal wave of choppas, then leave them at home.

You don't need a BS to shoot a battlecannon :D

4. Are the guys with the pins in their hands and a slugga better then slugga boyz?

What do you mean by "pins"?

Tried my best, so I hope that it helped a bit.

Cirenivel

Ork_Warboss
23-05-2007, 13:09
the pin guys are stick bommas i figured out.

Cirenivel
23-05-2007, 13:12
the pin guys are stick bommas i figured out.

They are only better than slugga boys in CoD, VS. GEQs... at all other times, they are not worth it

Cirenivel

Voodoo Boyz
23-05-2007, 13:17

No. Shootas should be avoided, Choppas should be taken as much as possible.

Sometimes, if you give them "More Dakka" and a Power Klaw Nob.

Because of BS2, the only Looted Vehicles that are worth taking are the ones that shoot Ordinance (Demolisher, Leman Russ, and Basalisk).

NO! In fact Stikk Bommas are quite possibly one of the worst units in the codex, if not the entire game.

IAMNOTHERE
23-05-2007, 13:17
I run 13 flash gits with 5 big shootas and more dakka (the assault 2), and for a mobile fire base, nothing even comes close to it in the ork army.

Stick em at the back with a boss pole on the Nob and you're away.

Thud
23-05-2007, 13:52
Well, when I played Orks, back in the beginning of 3rd edition, a looted Basilisk was pretty much mandatory in every Ork army.

sukigod
23-05-2007, 15:25

uhhhhhhh:skull:

1. Depends on your playing style. If you like to shoot, more shootas, if you like CC, sluggas. This is one of those questions where you need to play a few games and see what you like better, then go in that direction. I do think many people underestimate the shootas. Yes, 1 ork shoota will miss, 30 of them won't.

2. I think they're a little expensive. Just remember - in an ork army, everything needs to be done in numbers. More Flash Gitz cost much more than more shoota/sluggas.

3. Many people misjudge the worth of looted vehicles. Yes, yes, I know all too well about BS2, but the psychological impact of a tank cannot be overstated. Every weapon fired at a tank is aweapon that's not fired at a squad of troops. Which is what an ork army's about.

4. Stikk Bombas - in my opinion - no, not until the next codex release, maybe.

As I stated in #4, my opinions. Good luck!

Peril
23-05-2007, 15:50
1) Since all your special weapons are Assault, there is noting wrong with walking your shootas up to rapid fire range while firing your Big Shootas, then letting loose with a huge torrent of fire. They don't have choppas, but they are still formidable in combat with a Nob.

2) A lot of warbosses use them just as shoota boyz with 5 special weapons instead of 4 (if you include one on the Nob). The majority opinion is that the Kustom Jobs are too expensive. Also, they don't take up a Troops slot, which for Orks is actually a pretty big deal.

3) As others have said, BS has no effect on ordinance. It gives you something that can reliably shoot at tanks as well. It is also a lot of fun to convert, and gives your army a centerpiece type model (if you care about that sort of thing).

4) Nope, Bommas suck. I bought a box of them to get the bits, and they can be converted into Tankbustas easily.

Cirenivel
23-05-2007, 15:53
Since all your special weapons are Assault, there is noting wrong with walking your shootas up to rapid fire range while firing your Big Shootas, then letting loose with a huge torrent of fire. They don't have choppas, but they are still formidable in combat with a Nob.

However, you can still get 4 assault weapons with slugga boyz, and they are actually really good in CC...

Cirenivel

Kulgur
23-05-2007, 16:26
However, you can still get 4 assault weapons with slugga boyz, and they are actually really good in CC...

Cirenivel

3 assault weapons

Bunnahabhain
23-05-2007, 16:30
Looted Russes/Demolishers also have the advantage of AV14, and that annoying 6+ save against lascannons. they can suck a huge amount of fire that would otherwise be shredding battle-wagons, or other, softer targets.

Guard players fall in to this one very easily, as we don't like the strange situation of being at the wrong end of ordnance shells...

Darkhorse
23-05-2007, 17:53

1. Is having mostly shootas more then sluggas useful at all?
Against an MEQ take Sluggas, against other stuff take shootas.

They can be, depends how you use them.

Oh yes.... You're talking to a Blood Axe here, 3 Rhinos bring the Warlord and Mega-armoured Nobs, Skarboyz and Burnaboyz into the enemy. Pred with twinlinked lascannon, 'cause we need the reroll and looted Russ with ordnance... actually the warlord can loot a chimera as personal transport.

he guys with the pins in their hands and a slugga better then slugga boyz?
Stikk-bommas are good if your opponent sits in cover, like Kroot, or they're using the fortifications rules. don't expect anything from the krak bomz though.

Peril
23-05-2007, 18:57
3 assault weapons

4 if you stick one on the Nob.

Kulgur
23-05-2007, 21:17
4 if you stick one on the Nob.

Yeah figured you might be counting one on the Nob as well after I posted :)

lurker9999
23-05-2007, 21:21
Sluggaboyz are always best, but that may change with the new dex.
I use a looted Leman Russ to great effect don't waste points on the sponson though. I have also used 3 rhinos as mobile cover to screen the advance of the rest of my army.
Stikkbombz are horrible. I used them when i first started out but the lack of choppas makes the useless in CC.
I never personal used flashgitz but have seen to pretty well. 5 bigshootas is a great thing!

TheOTHERmaninblack
24-05-2007, 00:53
Shootas can be surprisingly effective if you field enough of them, and it can be very gratifying looking at the expression of an opponant whose just watched one of his units mowed down by ork shooting :)

Flash gitz, particularly firing from cover, can be shockingly good. 5 big shootaz and 13 or 14 more dakka kustoms can lay a whole lotta fire downrange. Against almost anything non-MEQ, it's devastating.

Basilisks, hellhounds, Russ variants. Have at least 1 ready before you lay down your first model. I've heard guys complain that it seems like a looted bassie is a mandatory choice in the ork FOC.

Here's where I take a risk. Stikkbommaz aren't as bad as people claim. The whole, "Oh good Mork, I can't live wifout me choppa!" crowd forget that, against any enemy with an armor save of 4+ or worse (read non-MEQ) the slugga acts just like EVERY OTHER CCW. Against guard and the like, why not take stikkbombs? Particularly if your enemy lines up inside all that pesky cover.

It's also very funny when a MEQ player, knowing he's gonna face a wall o' choppaz lays down an all scout army hiding under bushes and inside ruins, only to see you plop down a mess of CCW wielding stikkbommaz who can assault into that cover and not have to go last.

Da Reddaneks
24-05-2007, 01:03
No. You want to have mostly slugga and choppa and three special weapons. Either Big shootas or rocket launchers. One shoota boy mob is ok as a dedicated mob up unit or fire support squad but thats about it.

Yes, they are better than shoota boys. I dont buy the upgrades as i think they are cost prohibitive but others really like the assault 2 upgrade. The best thing about them is that you get 4 special weapons in the squad and the squad only has to be 5 strong. This makes a good fire support mob that can be used also as a mob up squad.

Not if you are using the tanks which rely on balistic skill. Use one of these four vehicles. I am listing them in order of best to worst. Leman Russ battle tank, Basilisk, leman russ demolisher, hell hound. Those are really the only four "good" options. And i would say that the looted leman russ or basilisk will add a lot to your army. An army like deathskulls or blood axes that can have three looted vehicles and which take the battle tank, basilisk, demolisher combination can be really tough as they are pumping out a lot of ordinance and then have the orky close combat to get up close and personal. Its a great combination that will put a grin on the face of any warboss out there.

what guys have "pins" in their hands???? If you are thinking stickbombas then no. stick bombas suck dont take them. tank bustas are decent but i think flashgits make a better anti-tank squad for overall purposes.

Welcome to the waaaagh! go forth and kick a$$!!!!!