PDA

View Full Version : So, what's up in the 41st millenium these days?

Thud
23-05-2007, 12:41
After about a year and a half in the Navy, the last six months in the Middle East, I am now back at home with nothing to do before uni starts in August and I figured this would be a great time for getting back into 40k. The only games I've played during the last year was the 6 games of Winter War IV (a tournament which I incidentally won, but not thanks to my generalship :p)

So I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on what's happened in the last year and a half. I see from the ridicilous amount of forums here in the 40k section that there has been some sort of campaign going on and after running into an old friend I learned that Dark Angels has a new codex. Anything else? Where's the Imperium headed these days? Any new movements in GW's evil scheme for world domination?

Thanks in advance.

sigur
23-05-2007, 12:52
Let's see....there's the new DA codex, as you mentioned, along with the reintroduction of combat squads (tactical squads being 10 marines, no more, no less, which you can split up in units of 5 marines each) and everybody had an opinion about it.

Before that, Codex Eldar was released and they fixed the list quite a bit (Dire Avengers are actually a popular choice now :eek: ).

Before that, Cities of Death was released if my memory serves me right, along with neat plastic buildings and there was a campaign...the struggle for Medusa V. Imagine the Titanic heading for the iceberg and blue aliens try to steal the mighty invention of the screw drive.

The 40k setting still is the same of course, Codex Orks is "on the horizon" (as it was when you phased out of 40k), there's a new codex CSM coming up, similar to the 1st 3rd edition one but cult marines get superpowers.

Oh, and there has been a legendary feature about Blood Angels (including a new army list)in Canadian WD but I think it's just a clever trick of GW CA to make us order their WDs. Assault Cannons still are totally overpowered and really destroy everything (infantry, tanks, the game, the western world, morality, Jesus, ...)

TheKiiier
23-05-2007, 12:56
Assault Cannons still are totally overpowered and really destroy everything (infantry, tanks, the game, the western world, morality, Jesus, ...)lol that's a good one but yet so true!

Jedi152
23-05-2007, 13:00
As a total 40k 'noob' i hope Thud doesn't mind me tacking onto this thread.

Are they really releasing an updated Marine Codex soon?

Tanner MIrabel
23-05-2007, 13:06
Anything else? Where's the Imperium headed these days?

All you need to know really is that mankind is at it's last bloody crossroads, there is no advancement, no peace, only WAR!

In other words, business as usual

PS That's a quote, not a swear

Thud
24-05-2007, 11:07
Before that, Codex Eldar was released and they fixed the list quite a bit (Dire Avengers are actually a popular choice now :eek: ).

Dire Avengers? Yeah, right! Next you'll be telling me that Shining Spears now kick ass.

On a serious note, I stopped by the local indie shop and I noticed Harlequin models. Expensive Harlequin models. Of course I'd like to say that I'm gonna focus on my old armies and get them back up in shape, but I'm not really fooling anyone am I? And as I didn't have time to look through the codex, I was just wondering if there's a plausible option to field a Harlequin army by itself, or if this is just a small addition to the Eldar armylist?

Gutlord Grom
24-05-2007, 11:54
Just a small addition to the army list. Thankfully.
Harlequin Quick Rule Run Down: Unshootable (mostly), pinning, rending, fast, and melta pistols.

Darnok
24-05-2007, 11:58
And as I didn't have time to look through the codex, I was just wondering if there's a plausible option to field a Harlequin army by itself, or if this is just a small addition to the Eldar armylist?

They are an Elite choice, so you can't field a "pure" Harlequin army. But jetbikes are Standard now, so you could field two squads of converted Harlequin jetbikes, plus three Elite squads of normal Harlequins, and use the Autarch as a stand-in for a Great Harlequin. Add whatever you think feels right, and you have a Harlequin army.

Barbarossa
24-05-2007, 12:12
And there's a sweet new model range for the IG called Vostroyans. They were introduced for Cities of Death.

DarthSte
24-05-2007, 12:17
Oh and all the cool kids spend half of their salary on Forge World models. It feels so good - but I know it is bad.

Railgunner
24-05-2007, 12:21
Maybe you should make yourself a Tau drone army....they seemed to do pretty well against my Grey Knights in Winter War ;)
And remember BBA, every thursday at the Greek Restaurant!!

RG

Thud
24-05-2007, 12:53
Maybe you should make yourself a Tau drone army....they seemed to do pretty well against my Grey Knights in Winter War ;)
And remember BBA, every thursday at the Greek Restaurant!!

RG

At what time do you lot get together? Figured I might stop by tomorrow.

Edit: Damn. It's thursday today. I'll probably be around later today. I'm assuming between 1700 and 1800 is a safe bet to show up, yeah?

Ianos
24-05-2007, 14:24
Dire Avengers? Yeah, right! Next you'll be telling me that Shining Spears now kick ass.

Actually shining spears purely made of kick ass now!:evilgrin:

P.S. : If you ever had any Eldar inclinations, go get the Codex, you 'll get hooked in no time!:D

Captain Micha
24-05-2007, 14:46
its 5 or 10 men in the combat squads.. not necessarily just 10... (though to me it would be smart to take 10... but meh)

Thud
24-05-2007, 18:13
Actually shining spears purely made of kick ass now!:evilgrin:

P.S. : If you ever had any Eldar inclinations, go get the Codex, you 'll get hooked in no time!:D

Yeah, well, I picked up the codex today. Damnit. Now I'll end up spending 2,000,000,000 on that Slaaneshi Eldar cult army idea I've always toyed with.

Gen.Steiner
24-05-2007, 18:38
Now I'll end up spending 2,000,000,000 on that Slaaneshi Eldar cult army idea I've always toyed with.

Only 2 billion? GW requires more from you, citizen! :p